IGNORED

NES or alternative...

Andy_Bogomil

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Agree. Top loader for the win

Then the problem becomes all the fuzziness, jail bars, etc., which come from the RF output of the top loader.  Paying someone to do an AV/RGB out on one would more than likely end up costing similar to what getting a scalper-priced Blinking Light Win would right now.  At the moment, I believe the most practical course for OP would be to try to fix the existing connector again (try boiling first, then re-bending pins), followed closely by getting an OEM connector and replacing what's already inside.  I would have put getting a BLW at the top of the list but for the fact that they're out of stock for an undetermined amount of time and scalper prices are absolutely insane.  If the choice comes down to spending a couple of hundred on a system plus another hundred or two (or three) getting it modified to be able to provide the same quality output as the toaster, I would recommend just buying a second-hand AVS at that point and being done with it.

2 hours ago, cartman said:

Does Famicom even have the issue that he's talking about? Because the pitch was NES's flakiness.

No, the two Famicom models are like the NES toploader, straight input pin connector for the cartridge.

In fact, I can't think of any clone that uses Famicom carts that doesn't have that type of connector. Admittedly, I don't know everything that's out there.

41 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

No, the two Famicom models are like the NES toploader, straight input pin connector for the cartridge.

In fact, I can't think of any clone that uses Famicom carts that doesn't have that type of connector. Admittedly, I don't know everything that's out there.

Alright so in that case his issue wouldn't apply.

8 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tell me you don’t understand what playing original Nintendo games is all about without telling me you don’t understand what playing original Nintendo games is all about 😁

In my recent experience with a toaster, it's about not playing games at all.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tell me you don’t understand what playing original Nintendo games is all about without telling me you don’t understand what playing original Nintendo games is all about 😁

Toasters belong in the box serving as eye candy on my shelves. Gentlemen play on an Analogue NT Noir 😂🤣

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Haha 2

If you're experiencing occasional freezes, I'd try using another power supply. And old or fualty power supply can cause all sorts of weird behavior with an NES.

Seems to be relatively common with many original Nintendo PSUs recently, I've seen it a few times myself.

Edited by Sumez

6 hours ago, Link said:

In my recent experience with a toaster, it's about not playing games at all.

The toaster NES is like a classic car.  They're prettier and better performing than the later versions, but they require you to keep up with maintenance, and if you don't, they'll break down and leave you stranded unexpectedly.  Personally, I'd much rather drive a 60s muscle car than a modern electric, even though I understand and appreciate both.  Convenience be damned!  😁

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Toasters belong in the box serving as eye candy on my shelves. Gentlemen play on an Analogue NT Noir 😂🤣

So what does that make folks playing on the AVS?  Leisure Suit Larry?  🤔🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Toploaders are for posers

Do real OGs give a shit about a clean picture? Can you even see jailbars on your princess TV?

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

The toaster NES is like a classic car.  They're prettier and better performing than the later versions, but they require you to keep up with maintenance, and if you don't, they'll break down and leave you stranded unexpectedly.  Personally, I'd much rather drive a 60s muscle car than a modern electric, even though I understand and appreciate both.  Convenience be damned!  😁

I recently bought one (for that reason of style) from somebody who said he boiled the pin connector and cleaned everything up. I couldn't get a single game to work in it, despite cleaning their pins with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. 

I'll stick with my USA top loader, or AVFC if I do want the clean picture. 

• Haha 1

@Link “Do real OGs give a shit about a clean picture? Can you even see jailbars on your princess TV?”

😂 touche

me: composite is fine, anything higher is for posers”

also me: “jailbars?! Gross!”

but my insult is more towards you guys crying about functionality. I didn’t know anybody who owned a toploader back in the og days. And the design, the toploader looks like cheap shit with the cart sticking out so tall like it’s gonna tip over from being so top heavy.

also surprised how many complaints there are I’ve never really been that troubled by a frontloader.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

also surprised how many complaints there are I’ve never really been that troubled by a frontloader.

You've never heard the countless complaints about the frontloader? It's like the number one quirk about it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe this is just Moneybag$ speak, but I have basically all of my systems on RGB -> PVM and I haven't looked back. RGB modded toploader is insanely reliable, I don't think I've ever had a game not work after like 2 tries of plugging it in, the thing just works.

I have an AV Famicom and I've only had compatibility issues with like...one game? I'm sure there are more, but the vast majority of the library works no problem with a converter.

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

but my insult is more towards you guys crying about functionality. I didn’t know anybody who owned a toploader back in the og days.

Neither did I 🤷‍♀️ but I do know this is why I gave away my original collection in ~2003 when I was having a much better time with NesterDC. 

17 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

That is good for you. Even back in the day, I had a cleaning kit and needed to use it often.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

Let me rephrase that. I can’t believe how many people openly whine about it like it’s completely faulty to the point of non operational.

IDK, there are plenty of people complaining about needing to take 5-10 attempts, cleaning games, hitting reset, shifting the game left or right, back or forward, pressing down, pulling the game out and putting it back in, and a dozen other things to get their toasters to work. You know, not being reliable? If it took 5 minutes and 10 turns of the key before your car turned on, you'd call it unreliable.

How many people complain about how it takes 5 tries to get their toploader to play a game? This is the difference between a reliable system and an unreliable one. Sure, you can say all you want about the video quality or the convenience of AV vs mods or RF, but if we're talking strictly reliability, there's absolutely no contest.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Link said:

Neither did I 🤷‍♀️ but I do know this is why I gave away my original collection in ~2003 when I was having a much better time with NesterDC. 

That is good for you. Even back in the day, I had a cleaning kit and needed to use it often.

Well I’d hate the frontloader forever too, even just out of spite…

9 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Let me rephrase that. I can’t believe how many people openly whine about it like it’s completely faulty to the point of non operational.

Yeah, well, we were eight years old and just wanted to save the princess, and instead had to fidget with it for a good ten minutes just to get Mariolink to load and when we see that blinking light again decades later, it dredges up those awful memories of wasted summer vacation. I mean, we could have been playing outside in that extra time, or coloring, or watching the Ninja Turtles. Instead, we were blowing on cartridges and crying about our precious time slipping away.

And now you have the gall to dismiss our feelings?

HAVE YOU NO SENSE OF DECENCY, SIR, AT LONG LAST? HAVE YOU LEFT NO SENSE OF DECENCY?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2