IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

• 3 weeks later...

@acromite53's beat of Fire Shark is missing from the first post. I just beat it myself, 1cc on Easy, not-1cc on Normal. I'll try Hard tomorrow.

Regarding NBA Jam:

Both of these games do have leaderboards, but no season, playoffs, or tournament mode...despite one being named Tournament Edition. Is one game enough, or should the completion requirement be to top the leaderboards?

I don't have either NBA Jam game on Genesis, but I do have Tournament Edition on SNES. It keeps track of which teams you've beaten and iirc something happens when you beat every team. Assuming that's the same on Genesis, that should be the beat criteria imo, not winning a single game. I'm not sure if vanilla NBA Jam has that or just Tournament Edition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 156/757
  • 3 weeks later...

Wardner is done.  I like this one in part because it bares a vague resemblance to "Milon's Secret Castle", which I have a mild obsession with.  It is not on the same level of awesomeness by any means though.  It has that kind of level design that feels like one guy thought everything up and just slapped it together how he imagined it rather than a team of people working to make everything flow in a nice rhythm which is something I can appreciate.  The boss rush of a last level is cool and being able to buy projectiles that fly with differing trajectories should give it some replay  value/extra challenge.  Initially it's easy to misjudge timing, die from lack of memorization or even not be sure where to go on one level in particular, but spend a bit of time with it and it becomes pretty easy.  The Wardner's 2nd form is a bit tough though.  The pattern is simple enough, but jumping through his fire shots is kind of like having to jump through the open window of a moving car and getting "nothing but net."  You either do it with super-precise timing and placement or you get to start over since it's a one hit death kind of game for the most part.

Wardner.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Donald in Maui Mallard and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 completed

ZfvInTe.jpg

AuQG04U.jpg

Maui Mallard is one of those games I had a ton of fun with as a kid which nobody else had heard of. Been wanting a CIB copy for myself for a long time now. How did you enjoy it? Been a while since I actually played.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:52 AM, Redmond said:

High Seas Havoc completed.

This has always been one of my favorites ( not to sound like Richard Christy lol ) in spite of its issues and weirdness.  This might have been the first time I've actually beaten the game sans any save states ( you do get infinite continues though ).  The last 2 bosses are a fun time.

highseashavoc.png

i beat this game several years ago.   i found the last boss to be a sum bitch.  took me many attempts to finally learn his pattern.  did you have trouble with the final boss?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, final fight cd said:

i beat this game several years ago.   i found the last boss to be a sum bitch.  took me many attempts to finally learn his pattern.  did you have trouble with the final boss?

Yeah, I had to practice it a bit with save states to have a chance and then went back and did a normal run.  I think I was trying to use World of Longplays as a guide but those are tool-assisted in a lot of cases and one of the moves they do isn't really viable ( at least it wasn't for me ).

Chakan - Hard Mode ( didn't seem too different from easy aside from your hit points being halved).  This game is made way more difficult by the spotty hit detection, especially the non-sword weapons.  If anyone tries to play this just be forewarned that the 2nd set of stages are pretty brutal, especially the Volcano ( if you land on 2 overlapping platforms you'll glitch through them and fall into lava ) and Dragonfly portions ( no tips for those, steel yourself I guess lol, they are essentially a labyrinthian buzz wire game where you're constantly harangued by flying bugs and off-screen enemies that can shoot you).  

It's a cool game in spite of being somewhat rough around the edges.  I liked the atmosphere/vibe enough to press on and see it through to the end.  

ChakanFinished.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 3

Atomic Robo Kid - Strange little shmup.  Has branching paths at different points, but I don't think it changes too much.  I had rented this one as a kid and hadn't really revisited it till now.  It's not very difficult ( especially if you use the ability to shoot through walls ) but you kinda need to be set up with the correct power-ups going into the last boss ( 2+ shields, main laser upgrade, and the speed upgrade, could maybe get away with less tho).  I kept killing the shop keeper my first times few the game as he's just a little robo dino guy that pops up on the screen with no real indication he's helpful.

Was gonna give The Adventures of Batman and Robin a go, but that game is tough and I haven't played it much in the past so there's no muscle memory or other knowledge to rely on so it would be a project.

Atomic Robo Kid.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure is in the bag (er Happy Meal box).  It's more like proto Dynamite Headdy with Ronald McDonald and co shoehorned in vs. being a full-fledged game ( there are only 4-5 short stages ).  There is a very random sequence where you transition from being on a train to total darkness and when the lights come back there are bunny ballerinas ( dancing to Swan Lake ) which you have to use as platforms.  I kind of wish they had saved that bit for Dynamite Headdy. 

McdonaldsTreasureLand.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 3

My Mega SG finally arrived yesterday, so it's time to explore my rather limited Genesis collection. First up was a nice and easy one that seemed appropriate for a Saturday morning. Desert Demolition is done. I ended up playing through as both the Road Runner and as Wile E. Coyote. Took about an hour in total. A fun little romp that was so much less frustrating than trying to get through the Road Runner game on the SNES.

IMG_2760 (2).JPEG

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 12:43 AM, Redmond said:

Atomic Robo Kid - Strange little shmup.  Has branching paths at different points, but I don't think it changes too much.  I had rented this one as a kid and hadn't really revisited it till now.  It's not very difficult ( especially if you use the ability to shoot through walls ) but you kinda need to be set up with the correct power-ups going into the last boss ( 2+ shields, main laser upgrade, and the speed upgrade, could maybe get away with less tho).  I kept killing the shop keeper my first times few the game as he's just a little robo dino guy that pops up on the screen with no real indication he's helpful.

Was gonna give The Adventures of Batman and Robin a go, but that game is tough and I haven't played it much in the past so there's no muscle memory or other knowledge to rely on so it would be a project.

Atomic Robo Kid.png

How do you get such clear screen caps?

Contra: Hard Corps beaten.  I think this was the "best" ending although there are 2-3 endings that seem tougher to get.  I'm not sure if the wolf is the best character, but he can take out enemies pretty quickly with his charge move.  Needless to say it's a great game.

hardcorpsending.png.1df2daa02fcfe892b3d2634b048f8cb0.png

Final Zone - I remember thinking the cover was really cool when I was a kid but I think that's where my affinity towards it ended so I guess that was a lesson learned.  It has a somewhat intricate dual-gun system, but you'll only ever really need like 1-2 of them and it seems like you do the most damage just crashing into enemies.  I beat it on Easy ( for shame ) but I don't think too much changes between the modes.

FINalZone.png.e6e5353b2b35b3e0e46819db223c195e.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 2