IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

i've been looking online for a winning condition for zoop.  segaretro states both game play modes - continual and level - are endless.  some other site said the game has 100 levels.  but you only have one life.

is this game beatable? based on what i've read i would say no.  even if the credits roll after 100 levels, the 1 life given would still make it extremely difficult and essentially unbeatable unless a mad man with the patience of an 80s kid had hundreds of hours to give took the challenge.   

curious if anybody else has any opinions or insights. 

Edited by final fight cd

1 hour ago, final fight cd said:

i've been looking online for a winning condition for zoop.  segaretro states both game play modes - continual and level - are endless.  some other site said the game has 100 levels.  but you only have one life.

is this game beatable? based on what i've read i would say no.  even if the credits roll after 100 levels, the 1 life given would still make it extremely difficult and essentially unbeatable unless a mad man with the patience of an 80s kid had hundreds of hours to give took the challenge.   

curious if anybody else has any opinions or insights. 

On Sega-16, I think we capped it at beating Level 9. I don't think anything of significance happens after that point, and the game certainly doesn't have an ending.

Someone there was advocating for beating Level 99 as the win condition, but I'm not sure that the difficulty even increases after level 9, so it'd just be 90 more levels of the exact same thing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:36 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

So after some more gameplay, I have now exceeded the number of games the manual mentioned, and still get passwords.  Curious about this, I looked into the password system.  Apparently the game will give passwords up until $80,000 and then won't give passwords anymore.

When you reach the $80,000 cap, it just gives you the same password over and over again, so that's a fine place to call it beaten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I like Zool, good time beating it on the Master System, I still remember, in 2010.

I did like the fact you had to collect a number of items per level to move on.  Made it feel like collecting the “coins” had purpose.

i didn’t know it was in the MS. Will have to check out game play of it. 

I admit it's not a masterpiece, and you are right, you have no idea what awaits you next (not just below but in all directions!), but we were slightly drunk and it was the last game we finished that night, so we weren't too picky.

I liked both the GG and MS versions of the game, but have not played the MD version.