IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind - Completed.  This one was a bit tougher than I was expecting.  It's very easy to get tilted and your lives will just start melting away ( you get 9 to start and 0 continues, but you can find a handful of continues hidden in the levels ).  It is fun to gain momentum and go flying around everywhere, but doing so is a coin flip at best as you're guaranteed to eventually run into an enemy or hazard ( Bubsy is a one-hit KO ). 

BubsyEnding.png

Cool Spot - also completed.  I went back after finding out about the contest ( finish on Difficult mode + get all of the UNCOLA letters without using a continue and you get a screen that tells you to take a picture of your TV or w/e and send it to the address listed ), but unfortunately there must be different versions out there and I just got the stock ending.  Not the greatest platformer in the world but not bad either.  

CoolSpotEnding1.png.9c1f61f1cbd48929d107e843499f0fde.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 4

Mr. Nutz - I didn't realize this one was on the list till I had finished it.  Surprisingly good platformer.  It's basically "Great Value" Castle of Illusion, but it does refine the controls a bit and places more of a focus on the projectile attack.   Worth checking out if you've gone through the A-tier stuff on the system.  Also there's a level called "Frozen Nutz".

Mr. Nutz Ending.png

• Like 1

batman revenge of the joker
dinosaurs for hire - very fun game
dynamite duke
gargoyles - looks great but controls are kinda trash
ghostbusters
granada
mcdonald's treasure land adventure
midnight resistance - aweseome
ranger x - awesome
ristar
robocop vs terminator - cool game
sparkster - very cool game
sunset riders - very cool game
two crude dudes

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...

i recently beat stargate.  didn't get the good ending.  i didn't collect all the things.  F it.  don't care.

but the next game i randomly picked to play was no escape. but it is like the only genesis game where there is no PDF of the manual online.  and it is like the only game where there is no youtube long play. but the game is atrocious so that might explain the lack of internet content.  

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, final fight cd said:

i recently beat stargate.  didn't get the good ending.  i didn't collect all the things.  F it.  don't care.

but the next game i randomly picked to play was no escape. but it is like the only genesis game where there is no PDF of the manual online.  and it is like the only game where there is no youtube long play. but the game is atrocious so that might explain the lack of internet content.  

Every SNES manual is online, so you should at least be able to grab that version of it

• Thanks 1

I scanned the Genesis manual for No Escape ages ago and it ought to be somewhere out there...

Or, heck, here it is -- I think I got Preview to export it under the forum size limit.

I actually like No Escape! The beginning is terrible but once you get the hang of it, it's surprisingly deep, with trading and item creation mechanics. The combat is weak but the stage design is kind of interesting. And it's got two different and totally distinct ways to beat the game, with separate endings.

Also it's noticeably better on the Genesis, IMHO. The way the SNES version starts out is ridiculous, and the Genesis is much more manageable.

No Escape manual [reduced size PDF].pdf

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I scanned the Genesis manual for No Escape ages ago and it ought to be somewhere out there...

Or, heck, here it is -- I think I got Preview to export it under the forum size limit.

I actually like No Escape! The beginning is terrible but once you get the hang of it, it's surprisingly deep, with trading and item creation mechanics. The combat is weak but the stage design is kind of interesting. And it's got two different and totally distinct ways to beat the game, with separate endings.

Also it's noticeably better on the Genesis, IMHO. The way the SNES version starts out is ridiculous, and the Genesis is much more manageable.

No Escape manual [reduced size PDF].pdf 2.55 MB · 3 downloads

Yeah, the whole trading them and items has me confused.  That’s why I searched for the manual, but surprising could not find it. 

but thanks! This should help a ton. 

Glad to do it! One thing: you can get the traders to change their offerings by hitting a fairly obscure key combination -- something like hold A + press up and down.

This wasn't obvious to me when I first played through No Escape and I thought the options were much fewer, but the SNES version has a dedicated button for it and I realized I'd been missing out on a lot of possible trades.

When I beat No Escape there were no video playthroughs on YouTube, walkthroughs, or anything. Figuring out the crafting mechanics myself was fun, though I never did build a working gun!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, final fight cd said:

doom troopers - shit game.  awful.  

I loathed that game and have no idea why some people seem to like it. I described it this way, once upon a time:

"bad controls, frustrating and unclear level design, erratic hit detection, gratuitous gore and gross-out humor, forced hits/damage and cheap shots, and just a feeling of having been designed by a committee of back-slapping dudes who say “bro” all the time."

18 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I loathed that game and have no idea why some people seem to like it. I described it this way, once upon a time:

"bad controls, frustrating and unclear level design, erratic hit detection, gratuitous gore and gross-out humor, forced hits/damage and cheap shots, and just a feeling of having been designed by a committee of back-slapping dudes who say “bro” all the time."

I went to Sega-16.com reviews to see what somebody wrote about it.  And the reviewer gave the game like an 8 out of 10 or something.  The game is objectively bad. I don’t understand the review or the praise the reviewer gave it.  But it definitely is one of the worst games that I’ve beaten.  

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 189/757
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 193/757
  • 1 month later...

Finished Phantasy Star III with Aron's ending. This was the only mainline entry that I hadn't finished up until now. It's often regarded as the weakest one and, after finally playing through it, I must say I agree with that assessment.

The dungeons are much smaller than in the previous game (which is good), but they are probably some of the most annoying mazes I've ever experienced in an RPG. Combine that with the painfully slow walk speed and the high random battle encounters and you've got a pretty awful experience. I resorted to finding maps for the dungeons to keep myself from going crazy.

On the other hand, battles are ridiculously easy, especially compared to PSII. I did spend a little time grinding here and there, mostly to get enough money to buy weapons/armor, but not any more than I normally would in an RPG. Still, the game was a cakewalk, and I got through the entire thing essentially mashing the C-button on every battle. I never even used offensive one time. Never had to implement any kind of strategy, all the way to the final boss. Kinda boring, really.

The generations gimmick is at least interesting, but there's no way I'm playing through this again to see any of the other endings, so kind of a waste. Sadly, I feel like there is a pretty compelling story buried in this game that just doesn't come through in the interactions with the characters. Oh well.

Took me just under 15 hours to complete. Of course, using maps to avoid all the ridiculous dead-end paths helped, but even still it's pretty short. Not sure if that was intentional so you'd play to see the different endings, but no thanks to that.

IMG_20231118_112650.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

rolling thunder 3

——————

games I’ve attempted this year but did not beat:

Batman forever - not as bad as what AVGN makes it out to be, but the combat is very cheap and frustrating

james pond - could not get into this at all

last battle - one death and game over. F that.  

lotus turbo - attempted this when my desire to game was low

no escape - trash game. Truly one of the worsts

paperboy - 

terminator 2: judgement day - the driving parts are beyond frustrating

toe Jam and earl - could not get into

terminator

spot goes to hollywood - given how garbage and unintuitive the controls are for the 2nd to last level, the 2nd to last level boss was hard as shit. 

@ExplodedHamster im coming for you.  if the tallies are correct i am 7 games down.  i'm going hard this final month.  may the best nerd win.  

Edited by final fight cd
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 8:02 PM, final fight cd said:

terminator

spot goes to hollywood - given how garbage and unintuitive the controls are for the 2nd to last level, the 2nd to last level boss was hard as shit. 

@ExplodedHamster im coming for you.  if the tallies are correct i am 7 games down.  i'm going hard this final month.  may the best nerd win.  

Ah crap! I have actually been negligent and need to add a few, sorry brother. I know this is honor system, but I have beaten a bunch since I last posted, list incoming…

Ok I can add the following. Sorry @final fight cd!:

Bass Masters Classic - Pro Edition

Berenstain Bears

Beyond Oasis

Champions World Class Soccer

Comix Zone

Dashin' Desperadoes

Dick Tracy

El Viento

Elemental Master

Exile

Growl

The Immortal

Jewel Master

Mario Lemieux Hockey

Mazin Saga

Mercs

Mystical Fighter

Shadow of the Beast

Shadow of the Beast II

True Lies

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Ok I can add the following. Sorry @final fight cd!:

Bass Masters Classic - Pro Edition

Berenstain Bears

Beyond Oasis

Champions World Class Soccer

Comix Zone

Dashin' Desperadoes

Dick Tracy

El Viento

Elemental Master

Exile

Growl

The Immortal

Jewel Master

Mario Lemieux Hockey

Mazin Saga

Mercs

Mystical Fighter

Shadow of the Beast

Shadow of the Beast II

True Lies

Shit, bro. It’s gonna take a Christmas miracle for me to take you down 😭

But it won’t stop me from trying.  Gonna have to increase my efforts to maximum power.

• Like 1

Won the Stanley Cup in NHL Hockey.

I still remember how blown away I was by this game when it came out. Even though the sequels would obviously get better, the original will always be special to me.

Normally I play as my San Jose Sharks (which I now realize is like playing on Ultra Hard Mode), but this time I picked the Penguins and breezed through the playoffs.

Interesting note: Just a minute into the final game, a fight broke out between Mario Lemiuex and Wayne Gretzky, which is some crazy alternate-universe-type hockey stuff. 😂

IMG_20231203_064753.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just beat Marble Madness.

I was just looking at this one on the list a day or two ago (along with many others) and thinking that if I happen to see it available at a local store I'd probably grab it and have a go.

Would you say you like it more or less than the NES version?  (I'm presuming you've played both...)

24 minutes ago, PII said:

I was just looking at this one on the list a day or two ago (along with many others) and thinking that if I happen to see it available at a local store I'd probably grab it and have a go.

Would you say you like it more or less than the NES version?  (I'm presuming you've played both...)

I've only played the NES version a little for the NES completions thread and never got far into the game. The Genesis version however was the first time that I've managed to beat this game. It not only looks nicer but also plays much smoother and better. For comparison I quickly put on the NES version in MESEN and yeah, it's a difference like night and day.

On top of that the Genesis version has a 2-player mode, which I didn't get to test, and difficulty settings. I just left everything at normal. I have also noticed that some of the obstacles are slightly different. Some parts are slightly more difficult in the Genesis version, whereas the NES version is overall more diffiuclt, but also clunkier, imho.

Personally, I would say that the Genesis version is far superior, but maybe there are some hardcore fans of specifically the NES version.

• Like 1