IGNORED

Starting Over Collecting Woes - Therapy topic

I collected off and on (and sold and started over) several times between 2005 - 2011ish or so. When I last sold everything, we just had our second son and we didn't have room and we had a new child and... and... and...

I was mainly focused on Nintendo (NES) and Super Nintendo (SNES). I would pick up anything I could find, though, but those were my primary systems. I would routinely find games and systems at Goodwill or on Craiglist and would often make enough selling what I already owned to pay for what I didn't. Once I got out of collecting I would only pick up stuff I truly found in the wild for a good price.

Fast-forward a few years to the last 6 months or so...

I'm trying to get back in and I'm getting so discouraged. The prices have SKYROCKETED since I was last collecting. To see cart only games going for what I could get CIB for back then, CIB going for crazy amounts; it's almost enough to make me not want to get started again. I fortunately started out with a Nintendo console and Super Nintendo console and a few games for each. I still mourn (and truly ache) for some pieces of my old collection. One big regret was selling my Nintendo Power collection. I had volume 1 - 63 and a few others. It was a once in a lifetime find at Goodwill and paid pennies for each issue. Most of them were covered with clear shelf paper and were in great condition. I will NEVER rebuild that.

I look back at my collection then and it wasn't much, but I miss it and I'm trying to slowly rebuild. I worry a bit that the days of that rush of finding games at thrift stores or flea markets or pawn shops may be almost gone now but I'm not going to lose all hope. I love places like this and I sincerely want to be a part of the community more. Just had to vent that a bit, thanks for taking the time to read and commiserate.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

It sucks the big one but your collection will likely be more focused. I vacuumed up loads of worthless crap in the 2000s just because it was there. These days I pick and choose every single game I buy and only get the stuff at the top of my want list. Used video games are still pretty affordable. It's not affordable to buy 1000s of them and complete sets of random crap, but it's also not like comics where the single best comic of your favorite character might literally be a million dollars. Any single game is probably within your reach if it's something you really want.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

It sucks the big one but your collection will likely be more focused. I vacuumed up loads of worthless crap in the 2000s just because it was there. These days I pick and choose every single game I buy and only get the stuff at the top of my want list. Used video games are still pretty affordable. It's not affordable to buy 1000s of them and complete sets of random crap, but it's also not like comics where the single best comic of your favorite character might literally be a million dollars. Any single game is probably within your reach if it's something you really want.

That's absolutely true and I didn't even realize I was doing that. I would like to one day get a MOSTLY complete NES set but I would more likely pick up the games that I really want first in specific conditions or packaging.

Having had a collection that was into the 1000s of pieces wrenched out of someone who wouldn't sell virtually anything back in 05 I get where you're coming from.  When money started to get just enough to where I could take what remained and grow once more I had a decent clip going on things, but then the pain started back in 2011-12 that really went ape in the last 2-3 years on a whole other level due to the virus and hardcore grading scams and bottom feeders.  I've had to try and stay ahead of the curve, but that curve is done, it's the back end.

So what can be done?

Focus, direction, misdirection.

Unless you're doing monumentally better, kiss off paper (manuals, maps, boxes) immediately if you're going for something larger scale.  If you're more precise wanting 10 of these 50 of those for a system, that costs a lot less so paper could be splurged on to compensate.

The only way left now, and harder with the crap tax changes with required and enforced tax snitching on 1099s online would be to buy lots, keep what you want, sell and trade from the unwanted/scraps to someone else needing them.  I'd also take time, considerable, and depending on your location and total number of predatory resellers to retail shops with even moderately fair prices...buy local, take your time.  Take time to enjoy the stuff more like a kid on a budget, than just shelf queen things and have daily/weekly piles of stuff coming in you'll use once, probably in testing/cleaning.

I'd stick to less system than more, even if largely tempted.

I also mentioned misdirection, and I don't mean to be another who rip people off, but unless you must have a specific game for real, cheat the second hand system.  Buy one of those few 100in1 so called multicarts these days that usually are everdrives that are preloaded though there are some multicarts with some real gem releases.  That or pay up and just get the actual flash kit and load it out how you want.  Another, buy a nice 1:1-ish looking copy of a costly game, it's not hurting anyone other than resellers trying to hose hundreds up to over a thousand out of your pocket for a loose cart.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Honestly, I don't think I'd bother collecting in this situation. The entire nature of buying and selling only to buy again is a problematic trait unless it's part of your profit making. If my life was not able to reliably keep on track, I think I'd get out and stay out until I had confidence I could do what I wanted. There are things more important than this hobby, so unless you can do whatever you want without being put in a position to undo it, why bother? It's just repeating heart ache, and if it didn't cause any heart ache, then did you really care in the first place? I'd rather just keep walking unless you have a definitve and concise plan. 

19 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

Honestly, I don't think I'd bother collecting in this situation. The entire nature of buying and selling only to buy again is a problematic trait unless it's part of your profit making. If my life was not able to reliably keep on track, I think I'd get out and stay out until I had confidence I could do what I wanted. There are things more important than this hobby, so unless you can do whatever you want without being put in a position to undo it, why bother? It's just repeating heart ache, and if it didn't cause any heart ache, then did you really care in the first place? I'd rather just keep walking unless you have a definitve and concise plan. 

Good point. If I had to sell what I have now, I don't think I'd ever go back into the market unless it was super cheap to do so.

To OP, the prices can be discouraging but this market puts priority on condition over anything. CIB isn't what it used to be. Back in the day, condition brought very little premium on CIB. There was a small price interval where average condition wasn't too far from mint CIB.

Back then the large swings in price based on condition was in the sealed market. Granted, it's only widened since then but still.

Today, if you want CIB, it's best to go CB and skip the I if price is the determining factor. Completionist don't go for CB like they do CIB. And consider how you're going to display the boxes. Going to go blockbuster style, game art out, get a squashed box and bring it back to life. Going to go spines out, get some sun fade and a really crisp edges. 

It's definitely not impossible to build a nice collection on a budget but if you want that sick, slick rock hard dick collection you better come with those dollar bills baby. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I sold all of my boxed cartridge games which was most of my higher-end stuff during the covid craze, and I knew if I ever rebought, it would be cartridge only. Time will tell if there will be regrets, but the days of the wild have been pretty well gone for years, and online sellers either can't protect their stuff in shipping or try to pass off counterfeits. It has been nice not having the frustrating crushed box come in the mail because the seller is a moron and sent it in a bubble mailer even though you told him you would pay extra if that's what it would take to send well-protected in a box....oh, also eff the WATA grading craze....Rant over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NES carts seemed to have plateaud, and if that is the case, starting things off with a large ebay commons lot could reignite the collecting fire.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

This has solidifed my resolve. I won't be selling off again unless it's legitimate hard times. I will store it as necessary if I ever decide that "I'm done." Like I said, I've done this a few times and I don't think I will be likely to sell off again. I've just got to change my tactics and be in like a marathon rather than a sprint.

9 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Good point. If I had to sell what I have now, I don't think I'd ever go back into the market unless it was super cheap to do so.

To OP, the prices can be discouraging but this market puts priority on condition over anything. CIB isn't what it used to be. Back in the day, condition brought very little premium on CIB. There was a small price interval where average condition wasn't too far from mint CIB.

Back then the large swings in price based on condition was in the sealed market. Granted, it's only widened since then but still.

Today, if you want CIB, it's best to go CB and skip the I if price is the determining factor. Completionist don't go for CB like they do CIB. And consider how you're going to display the boxes. Going to go blockbuster style, game art out, get a squashed box and bring it back to life. Going to go spines out, get some sun fade and a really crisp edges. 

It's definitely not impossible to build a nice collection on a budget but if you want that sick, slick rock hard dick collection you better come with those dollar bills baby. 

This is much like the housing market. You're either in because you want to be or you're out but you're not IN to make money. I was never in it to make money. The only selling I did (outside of selling out my entire collection) was to bring the cost down of what I paid for everything overall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

I sold all of my boxed cartridge games which was most of my higher-end stuff during the covid craze, and I knew if I ever rebought, it would be cartridge only. Time will tell if there will be regrets, but the days of the wild have been pretty well gone for years, and online sellers either can't protect their stuff in shipping or try to pass off counterfeits. It has been nice not having the frustrating crushed box come in the mail because the seller is a moron and sent it in a bubble mailer even though you told him you would pay extra if that's what it would take to send well-protected in a box....oh, also eff the WATA grading craze....Rant over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NES carts seemed to have plateaud, and if that is the case, starting things off with a large ebay commons lot could reignite the collecting fire.

I agree with WATA, as I know many do here.

If carts have indeed plateaued, that would be fantastic. At least it means we've hit the ceiling and time will tell. There's only so high they can go before they will level off.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’d ever start collecting again if I sold all my stuff. I know I’d never want to spend the money to get where I am now plus it’s so easy to just emulate everything these days. It’s a pain in the nuts to keep track of it all and it takes up a ton of space. I love my games and wouldn’t trade them for the world but starting back at zero would not be something I would do. If you feel nostalgic and want the consoles, get you some krikzz products and be very happy with all the money you saved!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

Would you mind pointing me to somewhere I can get such a thing, ebay or otherwise? 

Yeah no problem.  What exactly would you want in one and system?

Aliexpress, ebay, etsy are good spots.  There are some really solid multicarts new PCBs on the things that work very well and tend to have some of the most costly carts on there too.  And then there are the hidden everdrives, not like the ones from like 5 years ago which if you looked at them funny they'd brick, but a new run of more better built and less testy everdrive knockoffs.  A friend of mine got this red shelled one for the N64 for instance, and it works like magic, even added his own games since his came with a so called muiticart which really was just a pre-loaded memory cart in a kit with a nice label.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

At this point, if I was just starting, I would only be buying physical switch games. For all the other systems, I would be getting flash carts.

I’m with this - I’d have current gen and that’s pretty much all besides whatever I feel like emulating. I’d also go back to trading in games once I’m done with them. One damn shelf for games is all I get!

Edited by a3quit4s

To keep things simple I think I was in possession of your proverbial baton. Just because I have been doing something similar, for different reasons, from December, 2011 to January, 2023. With me seeing an uptick from what I originally paid to what was being asked in 2021.

But yeah... I totally get where you are coming from. And agree with those about Nintendo Switch. Just like how I am keeping it extra simple by limiting my sealed game collection to my current focus. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

At this point, if I was just starting, I would only be buying physical switch games. For all the other systems, I would be getting flash carts.

Switch and 3DS are two of my favorite collections. 90 and 150 respectively games in each currently and it was just from accumulating titles over each consoles life span.

@HeartOfDavid, this could be really fun if you let it; the greatest thrills tend to come from getting something you truly treasure! I agree with your assertion to treat it as a marathon and not a sprint, and having a solid plan and sticking to it as has been said is a good way to start.

Do you have a list of 5, 10, 15 or even 20 games that would just be awesome to own and PLAY? Forget the filler nonsense as, every dollar that goes towards a game you have little actual interest in is a dollar you could be putting towards something you will love and play. Avoid feeling like volume equals good, or that there is some imaginary group of people to impress, and certainly don't feel compelled to get what's popular just because it is (I'm not ashamed to say I like games like Mark Davis' The Fishing Master on SNES...I think it's a pretty dope game and great on a quiet Sunday afternoon, or Legend of the River King on Game Boy!). Hearing about the stories tied to peoples games is one of the great parts of being in a gaming community! 

All that said, would I start over now if it came down to it? Yes. But as focused as I am on the games I choose and have chosen since the 80's, I would make myself a 'desert island' list of a dozen or two of my all time favourites and focus on those (like a few of my top 10 - Mega Man X, Xenogears, Soldier Blade, and Chrono Trigger - for example) and price be damned since those titles are special to me.

Anyway, I wish you nothing but fun and excitement on your journey. Games should always be fun first, and if you can only get a title here and there, make 'em good ones that mean something to you and enjoy the heck out of them 🙂 

• Like 1

I sold off most of my NES collection from 2006 onwards up to around 2016. I lost interest and sold off the bulk, by 2011 I was living abroad, and though I became interested again, it was solely in imports, so I sold off the remaining remnants every time I'd go back home.

For my new collection, if I sold it off, I wouldn't start again. Part of the fun is the hunt and the memories, and that's before we even talk about new sky high prices.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Renmauzo said:

@HeartOfDavid, this could be really fun if you let it; the greatest thrills tend to come from getting something you truly treasure! I agree with your assertion to treat it as a marathon and not a sprint, and having a solid plan and sticking to it as has been said is a good way to start.

Do you have a list of 5, 10, 15 or even 20 games that would just be awesome to own and PLAY? Forget the filler nonsense as, every dollar that goes towards a game you have little actual interest in is a dollar you could be putting towards something you will love and play. Avoid feeling like volume equals good, or that there is some imaginary group of people to impress, and certainly don't feel compelled to get what's popular just because it is (I'm not ashamed to say I like games like Mark Davis' The Fishing Master on SNES...I think it's a pretty dope game and great on a quiet Sunday afternoon, or Legend of the River King on Game Boy!). Hearing about the stories tied to peoples games is one of the great parts of being in a gaming community! 

All that said, would I start over now if it came down to it? Yes. But as focused as I am on the games I choose and have chosen since the 80's, I would make myself a 'desert island' list of a dozen or two of my all time favourites and focus on those (like a few of my top 10 - Mega Man X, Xenogears, Soldier Blade, and Chrono Trigger - for example) and price be damned since those titles are special to me.

Anyway, I wish you nothing but fun and excitement on your journey. Games should always be fun first, and if you can only get a title here and there, make 'em good ones that mean something to you and enjoy the heck out of them 🙂 

I really like this @Renmauzo, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would just take your time and enjoy picking things up as they come. Buy flash carts so you can play what you want but still go out and hunt going flea markets, thrift stores, etc if that brings you joy. A few years ago whenever I went out hunting I would get really upset because I wasn't finding anything, it took the fun out of it. I had to reevaluate my joy of going out hunting was- and it was just getting out and going and looking. Now I don't expect to find anything, and if I go home empty handed I don't mind at all because I took my time looking and had fun. Prices are hard to take in for anyone that has been collecting for a long time, but the good thing is there is no timetable and there is no pressure. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

A couple other things- I don't think a small collection is bad, as there is a burden of a large collection due to the space and value of it all. A second thing- I see people recommending collecting new consoles, but if you don't care about those don't fall into that, just collect what you want and enjoy.

2 minutes ago, snes_collector said:

I would just take your time and enjoy picking things up as they come. Buy flash carts so you can play what you want but still go out and hunt going flea markets, thrift stores, etc if that brings you joy. A few years ago whenever I went out hunting I would get really upset because I wasn't finding anything, it took the fun out of it. I had to reevaluate my joy of going out hunting was- and it was just getting out and going and looking. Now I don't expect to find anything, and if I go home empty handed I don't mind at all because I took my time looking and had fun. Prices are hard to take in for anyone that has been collecting for a long time, but the good thing is there is no timetable and there is no pressure. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

A couple other things- I don't think a small collection is bad, as there is a burden of a large collection due to the space and value of it all. A second thing- I see people recommending collecting new consoles, but if you don't care about those don't fall into that, just collect what you want and enjoy.

I agree with this, I think I just need reframe my collecting for 2023. I'm not a modern systems guy personally (though I'm not knocking it). I like your take on it. I will just enjoy the journey, forget what's behind, and collect what I'm able.

Graphics Team · Posted

Yeah - that's rough @HeartOfDavid. But part of me is actually envious of your clean-slate. I hate having a bunch of filler in my own collection, but once it's in my hands I have trouble letting it go (regardless of whether or not I care for the game).

So I'd agree with everyone who says this is a great opportunity to hone-in on the stuff you really like, and just forget about the bulk.

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Agree 2