IGNORED

Starting Over Collecting Woes - Therapy topic

I got serious about collecting in 2018 after doing it casually since I was a kid and I had already given up on some things. The cost of going after NES, SNES, N64 was a lot for me then and it's way worse now. I stick to stuff I can still get for "reasonable" amounts so I mostly collect relatively modern stuff now. 

I'm happy to already have a bunch of stuff that has gotten really expensive since I picked it up. I'm on a budget now so the stuff I'm getting is "cheap." I collect Nintendo Force magazine which is still in print, My Nintendo Rewards which are pretty much free, Switch / 3DS / DS / Wii stuff, strategy guides, etc. etc. Nothing too crazy. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah no problem.  What exactly would you want in one and system?

Aliexpress, ebay, etsy are good spots.  There are some really solid multicarts new PCBs on the things that work very well and tend to have some of the most costly carts on there too.  And then there are the hidden everdrives, not like the ones from like 5 years ago which if you looked at them funny they'd brick, but a new run of more better built and less testy everdrive knockoffs.  A friend of mine got this red shelled one for the N64 for instance, and it works like magic, even added his own games since his came with a so called muiticart which really was just a pre-loaded memory cart in a kit with a nice label.

I searched for NES multi cart on eBay and didn't see anything like what I'm interested in, which is that everdrive knockoff type of thing. I specifically want to curate the list of games, and make different folders for hacks and homebrews etc. 

7 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Yeah - that's rough @HeartOfDavid. But part of me is actually envious of your clean-slate. I hate having a bunch of filler in my own collection, but once it's in my hands I have trouble letting it go (regardless of whether or not I care for the game).

So I'd agree with everyone who says this is a great opportunity to hone-in on the stuff you really like, and just forget about the bulk.

-CasualCart

Actually this is a great point. I sold off a big chunk of my collection in 2015 and most of it, if not all of it was filler or consoles I don't really, really care about in the end. As I started to buy add to the collection again in 2018 it was only games I was (mostly) sure I wanted.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HeartOfDavid said:

I agree with this, I think I just need reframe my collecting for 2023. I'm not a modern systems guy personally (though I'm not knocking it). I like your take on it. I will just enjoy the journey, forget what's behind, and collect what I'm able.

I wasn’t really into newer systems either. But Switch is an exception because the games are still cartridges and the menu interface is so simple. Also there are so many legacy games that are getting re-released on Switch. There’s a lot of game collections, by the likes of Konami, Capcom, Sega, SNK, etc. Squaresoft has been re-releasing a ton of PS1 rpg’s. There’s a ton of shmup shooters.

With all of the retro content available in its library, Switch is basically the ultimate system even if your not into current gen games for those who only want to get authentic physical released games

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

I searched for NES multi cart on eBay and didn't see anything like what I'm interested in, which is that everdrive knockoff type of thing. I specifically want to curate the list of games, and make different folders for hacks and homebrews etc. 

Ahh ok so discount everdrive NES style.  I think I've seen that.  Usually for me I've went after a modern multicart or two, got one in particular last year that's just a gem of a list of games.  It's basically this cart, comes in NES and FC style.  Mine is FC so it's the  Ultimate Famicom Remix 1+2 and the game list is stellar.  https://bootleggames.fandom.com/wiki/Ultimate_NES_Remix  There is a youtube video but didn't want that to pop up large on here of it.

Here's one you should like.  This is a pre-setup Everdive N8 in disguise, the final model krikzz doesn't offer on his own page anymore only doing the PRO.  It is pre-loaded with over 1000 games on a SD card included into a quality clone of the N8.

$57 shipped  (They start otherwise at $113+shipping at stoneagegamer)
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804804444788.html

That particular seller also does the same for the SNES in 3 flavors, Everdrive, Everdrive with DSP support, and original SD2SNES (not Pro) too.  Prices on those would be rounded off $27, $47, and $112 respectively you can see easily here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101985837?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.2.37446badbeGorT

They seem to have also N64, Gameboy/Color, and Game Gear covered too.  Kind of tempted to order the game gear one to be honest.

Does this help?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether you’ve been collecting for 20 years or restarting a collection again, I think the general principle of collecting remains the same:

- collect for the passion and collect within your budget. 

There’s always something to collect if you apply the above. For example since the pandemic, I went from being a VGA SNES/N64 collector into collecting random cheaper stuff like sealed PSP, PS2, Xbox Original. As long as the joy is in the collecting, it shouldn’t matter what you end up with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, GPX said:

Whether you’ve been collecting for 20 years or restarting a collection again, I think the general principle of collecting remains the same:

- collect for the passion and collect within your budget. 

There’s always something to collect if you apply the above. For example since the pandemic, I went from being a VGA SNES/N64 collector into collecting random cheaper stuff like sealed PSP, PS2, Xbox Original. As long as the joy is in the collecting, it shouldn’t matter what you end up with.

@GPX - I love that, thanks!

My advice, go for variety. My collection has no complete sets and is simply a smattering across the board. I have a couple VGA graded games, some CIBs, GameBoy carts, modified consoles, Sega carts, PC games, about 10 NES home brews, magazines, everdrives, handhelds, etc. The point here is I could fit my whole collection in a couple tubs if I wanted. But every time I look through things, it’s a huge nostalgia rush and tons of fun to play. Sure some of my items are high end, but I’m also patient and prefer quality over quantity. There are still deals out there, but the market  has just been rising every year over the last 10yrs. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I'm doing variety.  I had a reason I brought up game gear.  I had a right place, right hour situation to be first to get a very budget friendly priced game gear, a survivor it appears that works 100% with 3 games too that's got minimal wear at best on the outside.  I really don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole, and since the GG is also capable of both SMS and SG1000 through an Everdrive it's a strong near certain consideration.

I just have to weigh the budget one up there, which appears to be the older 1.X model.  That one slowly loads a game (30sec to 1min for the largest games) slowly into memory to play, won't play Gunstar Heroes(not a deal breaker for me), have to power down to change games, smaller max game size capable, and other little random early early nuances/bugs.  The more expensive model ($120+) instant loads titles, larger capacity, everything works, no weird hiccups so it's a trade off.

• Like 1

Baby steps.

2011 is gone. It's still difficult for a lot of us to deal with. We can all get through this together. 

You have come to the right place. There's nothing wrong with head hunting some titles you're looking for. So if you are moving along while hunting around and there are some games/magazines you want to PLAY, then go ahead and hit this place up or eBay, or an actual game store. 

Have you got one in your area? Sure you're not going to walk in and buy 80 CIB's right off the shelf for $60, but you'll be able to buy the games you want.

The NP...  I picked up a couple lately and they all came from the same person. I'm sure you will be able to find a set out there. 

You can do it, but you can't focus on what you had before. Because what? You have a room full of NES games beside your child and crowding them? Then they grow up thinking the NES is more important than them??? 😅

You made the right decision for yourself and your family at the time. Now is time to rebuild ONLY what you want. 

Edited by AirVillain
punctuation...
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Baby steps.

2011 is gone. It's still difficult for a lot of us to deal with. We can all get through this together. 

You have come to the right place. There's nothing wrong with head hunting some titles you're looking for. So if you are moving along while hunting around and there are some games/magazines you want to PLAY, then go ahead and hit this place up or eBay, or an actual game store. 

Have you got one in your area? Sure you're not going to walk in and buy 80 CIB's right off the shelf for $60, but you'll be able to buy the games you want.

The NP...  I picked up a couple lately and they all came from the same person. I'm sure you will be able to find a set out there. 

You can do it, but you can't focus on what you had before. Because what? You have a room full of NES games beside your child and crowding them? Then they grow up thinking the NES is more important than them??? 😅

You made the right decision for yourself and your family at the time. Now is time to rebuild ONLY what you want. 

This was SO good. Sobering, but good! THANK YOU!

• Love 1

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying: If you're starting from scratch, skip the full sets. Hunting them down is often more frustration than fun and they just end up filling space. If I lost or sold everything now, I'd get out of collecting completely and just buy what I plan to play.

• Agree 1

I will add to back up AV there about Nintendo Power, I'm guessing now 15 years ago I had a full set of them up until those clowns at FutureOne took it over and ruined it.  They weighed probably at least a couple hundred pounds and ate up an entire small closet floor too so I couldn't keep moving them and always regretted it.

In the last couple of years I've re-acquired a lot of them, primarily the 80s(all) and most 90s issues too.  A vast majority came from 2 lots, one local that started me where I got 40 issues for a dollar each!  Hyped, I went online, planets aligned, and I got almost as many issues but at around $3 shipped and it had the original issues(beat to crap but all there) and a nearly perfect second issue and many earlier.  I started to fill a few holes after with trades or a cheap find of a couple shipped, recently got around 15-20 more from a local friend for a dollar an issue too.

With patience, time, a bit of luck, maybe some trade bait, getting them back is pretty easy and cheap, if you're not paying the per-issue clown car shipped rate of $15-20 an issue on ebay.  Buy bundles, at least 3-5 minmum a piece to get around that if you go that route.  I ate it on ONE issue there at $15 shipped for the Mario All-Stars issue, ti was the only one I lacked up to around issue 80 and it ate at me. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Baby steps.

requiem for a dream win GIF by Challenger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

😉

I need to listen to myself sometimes. But alas.... we're all in this together. You got this. Your new set will only have stuff in it that you truly cherish.

HAHAHA, you're right though. This is going t o be a more targeted collection AND it will make any of the wild finds that much sweeter!

• Like 1