IGNORED

For the import collectors, do you care about spine cards?

fcgamer

I picked up a Japanese 3D0 machine a year or two ago, and I've now decided to actually get some software to try the thing out. I've seen some items for sale with spine cards, and then others without the cards. Obviously there's a bit of a premium for disks with the spine cards.

Anyways, I'm just wondering for those here on VGS who collect import disk games, how important are the spine cards to you? In some ways I'm tempted to just buy games and not worry about the spine cards, but I'm worried that down the line I might regret that decision and then start thinking about repurchasing portions of my collection just for the spine cards.

Administrator · Posted

I think different people will have different opinions here.  In my personal case, I try to get them in order to have a more complete copy and information, but, it is not something I obsess about.  I'd pay a small bit more for a nice complete copy with OBI, but I'm not going to pay large amounts of money just for that.

For me, it was kind of... idk, a relief? When I came to the decision that I wasn't going to obsess about them for all titles.  Some are just incredibly difficult to get, or even double or triple the cost in some cases.  

I guess I'd say just take some time to really think through whether it is something you truly care about.  Because if you *do* decide later that you want them, it is a lot of work because you can't always easily find just the spine, so it'd be a process of selling / replacing "incomplete" copies and that could be a lot of work.

I don't care enough to pay more for them, but if I can get them as they should be, part of an optical disc package I'm happy enough to have it.  As pointed out, either way with or without it's basically still complete, they tend to just repeat info as an eye catch, like the interior flap of a hardback book cover flap.  When I do get them from new or used CDs, audio CDs, PCE stuff even, I usually lay them flat and stuff it in the case out of sight and harms way.  In a way they're a bit of a nuisance anyway as it's more stuff to worry about that adds nothing to the quality of the game.  Given they're just wrapped over and sealed in, on this side of the pond it's like having a sticker on shrink wrap, an extra.

Homebrew Team · Posted

I don't go out of my way for them.  If there are two copies of the title for sale of similar condition, one with spine card and one without, I'll pickup up the spine card if the cost is under 15% more.

If the condition is different, say really good without spine and not as good with, yeah I'll go with condition over a piece of paper.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I'm clueless about collecting disk-based games, but now I'm curious...

What's a spine-card? And why are they important?

-CasualCart

In Japan (and some other regions), disc based media usually games sealed with a card external to the plastic case, wrapped around its "spine" like so:

IMG_20230205_150958.jpg

It's a wrap-around card which when you open the seal is entirely loose, so often they'll get tossed:

IMG_20230205_151006.jpg

Many people, myself included, will store the spine card inside the case, as it usually fits just fine inside:

IMG_20230205_151023.jpg

As for why they're important, it's a part of the original package, so many would consider a game not complete without it. 

I go out of my way to get copies that have the spine card now. When I started my PCE collection a few years ago, I didn't even consider it, but as time has gone on and I've been getting each Saturn game with the obi, I regret not considering this when I was picking up my PCE stuff.

It's not just about completeness for me though, it's part of the art. PCE have the white tray spine, Saturn have the black ones, both are boring which is resolved by the obi/spine card. Some cards are a little more plain, some have cool artwork on them...and since I keep every game in a box protector, it's not as though they get in the way or anything.

Anyway, just speaking for me, I do have regrets that I didn't look for copies w/obi for the PCE stuff, so if you are thinking you may regret it, that thought will probably creep back in at some point. Motivations are different though, and for me, it's all about and extra coolness to the package as a whole.

Edited by Renmauzo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RH said:

I've collected very few CD items from Japan.  My biggest question is why is this a thing even to begin with?

I mean, what’s the point, really? It just feels like an extra, unnecessary manufacturing cost.

It’s like how some people collect all the extra stuff in NES games. There’s really no point besides the feeling of completion or for archiving.

If you meant why do Japanese have an obi, well that’s just a style thing that started with books.

32 minutes ago, Brickman said:

It’s like how some people collect all the extra stuff in NES games. There’s really no point besides the feeling of completion or for archiving.

If you meant why do Japanese have an obi, well that’s just a style thing that started with books.

I meant the latter.  I didn’t realize is started with books, but I’m still curious.  We do get them on books from time to time in the US, so that is something I’ve seen, just very rarely.

29 minutes ago, RH said:

I meant the latter.  I didn’t realize is started with books, but I’m still curious.  We do get them on books from time to time in the US, so that is something I’ve seen, just very rarely.

Yep just a style thing. They also have dust covers on softcover books/manga. Whereas most English regions don’t put a dust cover on softcover books.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, fcgamer said:

I picked up a Japanese 3D0 machine a year or two ago, and I've now decided to actually get some software to try the thing out. I've seen some items for sale with spine cards, and then others without the cards. Obviously there's a bit of a premium for disks with the spine cards.

Anyways, I'm just wondering for those here on VGS who collect import disk games, how important are the spine cards to you? In some ways I'm tempted to just buy games and not worry about the spine cards, but I'm worried that down the line I might regret that decision and then start thinking about repurchasing portions of my collection just for the spine cards.

The only imported games I’ll ever own are Japanese 3DO games 🙂 (and Korean but they come in cardboard longboxes) and I do very much prefer having the spine card of course. 

Which ones are you getting?

• Wow! 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, Gloves said:

As for why they're important, it's a part of the original package, so many would consider a game not complete without it. 

What I hate is the new trend of putting decorative stickers on outside of the plastic seal. With those, it’s like you can’t even open the game otherwise you lose the sticker and the game is incomplete 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, phart010 said:

What I hate is the new trend of putting decorative stickers on outside of the plastic seal. With those, it’s like you can’t even open the game otherwise you lose the sticker and the game is incomplete 

Just an idea here, and something I started doing just because.  When I encounter that, now I cut out a nice little square (or whatever shape) of the plastic / sticker, and put it inside the game case, much like I would another extra.  That way it's saved just in case someone cares for it 🙂

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

Just an idea here, and something I started doing just because.  When I encounter that, now I cut out a nice little square (or whatever shape) of the plastic / sticker, and put it inside the game case, much like I would another extra.  That way it's saved just in case someone cares for it 🙂

This 100% is what I did years back when Nicalis did Switch releases where the first run had added stuff as they'd put a quarter sized sticker on the wrap more or less.  I'd cut a square out, stuff it into the clip/manual space in the case.

• Like 1