IGNORED

How To spot Trolling online 101

MrWunderful

Welcome class, if you showed up today, it’s because you want to improve your troll-sensing ability Online. 

I am Prof. Wunderful, and this class is free. I gladly take tips via Likes to my posts. 

Designed for those who  are either too naive or too young to recognize trolling on a forum. Not responsible for use on Social Media, or for any aggressive Ls handed out via internet arguments.

“Striving for a healthier internet ecosystem for the future”

lets get started by showing a scenario, where one accepts the troll bait- there by ensnaring an unsuspecting user: 

Basic Troll Scenario 1

1) Troll will Make an unreasonable request- usually something specific. 

2) Troll will play the victim, even though this request is unreasonable or un-realistic

3) Troll will then set the bait (supplying opinion as fact)- once the user approaches with fact based responses, its too late. 
4) Troll then extends the trap many different ways-

a. arguing in bad faith

b. Projecting intellectual superiority

c. Supplying un-verifiable information 

d. virtue signaling about decorum that the troll themselves don’t abide by

e. point out small grammar or spelling mistakes no matter how insignificant

*other triggers to come later in class

5)Troll subsists off frustration and wasted time until the end of days.

Basic Troll Scenario 2:

1) Troll will Start a thread with a contrary to popular opinion

*note – this is not in itself a bad thing, when supported with provable evidence or intelligent thought . The thing that differentiates an intelligent argument from a troll trap, is the fact that the initial troll argument is supported not on facts, but unverifiable information or opinions.

2) Troll might use reasonable arguments based on a a strawman as a trap to bait in users

3) once the user becomes invested, that’s when the troll springs the trap. They gradually allow the user to get more and more excited until the point to where they can extend it (see (4a-4e above)

4) Troll then plays the Victim, hopefully culminating in some sort of action taken against the user (ie Banning, bad mark, etc. )

Conclusion:

Not all Trolls are bad, and we don’t hate them as people. They are a crucial part of the Internet Forum ecosystem. They just need to be identified and treated as the neck-bearded basement-dwellers they are, to keep the internet enjoyable for all people. Hopefully at the end of this course you will not only learn how to not get trapped, but possibly how to use them as Entertainment as I and so many others have as well!

Please use this thread to discuss trolling tactics, verify if you have in fact been trolled, or ask any other trolling related questions. 

Next class on hijacking coming soon!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I must say that Flat Earth club is the best...trolling...group...EVER.

I mean c'mon, nobody really thinks the world is flat...they're just putting on that act to get people riled up. 

I disagree. But if you like that kind if thing, look into "birds aren't real". 

56 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

After 2016, my faith in our collective intelligence has dropped to a very low level. Im sure people actually believe both, which  is incredibly sad. 

Flat Earth leadership is sincere, or at least wants their adherents to believe it. Birds Aren't Real is a parody conspiracy made to undermine, distract from, and ridicule exactly that kind of mis/low-information campaign.

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Link said:

Flat Earth leadership is sincere, or at least wants their adherents to believe it. Birds Aren't Real is a parody conspiracy made to undermine, distract from, and ridicule exactly that kind of mis/low-information campaign.

If you believe in birds you're a fool!

• Love 1

Did you know troll is actually a fishing term? I thought everyone knew this initially and I got super confused when people started referring to the beast of Norse Mythology, I had no idea how they were connected. It turns out people actually thought troll was a noun and not a verb.

When fishing, you fish one spot for a while, then move on to another spot. If you're at the back of the boat, you can troll while travelling, I've done this many times. You let your line out the back of the boat, with bait and see if anything bites while on the way to your next destination. That's why this internet act is referred to as "trolling," you set the bait and just let it hang out there to see if anyone bites.

It has nothing to do with an actual troll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Did you know troll is actually a fishing term? I thought everyone knew this initially and I got super confused when people started referring to the beast of Norse Mythology, I had no idea how they were connected. It turns out people actually thought troll was a noun and not a verb.

When fishing, you fish one spot for a while, then move on to another spot. If you're at the back of the boat, you can troll while travelling, I've done this many times. You let your line out the back of the boat, with bait and see if anything bites while on the way to your next destination. That's why this internet act is referred to as "trolling," you set the bait and just let it hang out there to see if anyone bites.

It has nothing to do with an actual troll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

AA985222-5C23-4D7F-9973-ED7626D28B6F.jpeg.0ae6fecd2ffbe1025832841bf7258acc.jpeg