IGNORED

How To spot Trolling online 101

MrWunderful

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Did you know troll is actually a fishing term? I thought everyone knew this initially and I got super confused when people started referring to the beast of Norse Mythology, I had no idea how they were connected. It turns out people actually thought troll was a noun and not a verb.

When fishing, you fish one spot for a while, then move on to another spot. If you're at the back of the boat, you can troll while travelling, I've done this many times. You let your line out the back of the boat, with bait and see if anything bites while on the way to your next destination. That's why this internet act is referred to as "trolling," you set the bait and just let it hang out there to see if anyone bites.

It has nothing to do with an actual troll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

You do realize it is an internet noun too.  Like "don't feed the trolls".  Verb came first, but noun usage wasn't far behind.  Trolls be trolling.

@a3quit4sPepe has been reclaimed from the racist and they have move onto other dog whistles.  "Clown world" is the last one I'm aware of.  Basically Clown Pepe but context will matter a lot in determining if dog whistling or not.  Also note that I don't keep up with racist dog whistles so I could be giving you out dated information.

shruggers-pepe.gif

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Link said:

Flat Earth leadership is sincere, or at least wants their adherents to believe it. Birds Aren't Real is a parody conspiracy made to undermine, distract from, and ridicule exactly that kind of mis/low-information campaign.

Paging @galacticlint !

Also paging @galacticlint about the "birds"!

I just come here to confess that I was trolled just a few days ago. I was listing some sealed games on eBay with various sealed variants. He proceeded to tell me that all of them should be sealed with a tear-strip. I told him I know a bit about sealed games and that I’ve been a 10+ year collector. He replied with these various words:

- “SCAMMER”

- “resealed loser”

- “Reporting cause I'm exposing you and you are realising that you have been collecting resealed games”

I took the bait and replied:

”Yeah, ok. Whatever.”