IGNORED

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but...

Jaden

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Imagine getting a Nintendo system and expecting online play.

Gift your nieces and nephews a system.  Boom.  Instant free LAN party.  You're welcome 🤩

They are starting with pac man and mlp.  Give them a couple years before they are ready for Zelda.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Imagine getting a Nintendo system and expecting online play.

Gift your nieces and nephews a system.  Boom.  Instant free LAN party.  You're welcome 🤩

It's another sting in the wound when your work has you moving around a lot. Hard to have consistent access to a group that wants to play a given game without internet.

• Agree 1

The vast majority of games I play are either kiddie/cartoony or fantasy in nature with a smattering of arcade or puzzlers mixed in. While I certainly don't relate to the gaming habits of my peers who tend to be modern AAA CoD players, I feel no shame at all in the things I like as well as have no feeling of superiority over them. We're all gamers at the end of the day!

If you like old games and old people, you're in the right place.

No, I don't get self-conscious about what I play because I don't particularly care what other people think. The best part about getting older is finding what you love and genuinely enjoying it, regardless of what others think. So go ahead and play Frogger to your heart's delight.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I can't say I ever feel self-conscious about the games I play, but I've definitely felt that way about the perception around gaming in general.

When I tell people that my hobby is video games, a part of me is always nervous that they'll immediately think of that stereotypical South Park gamer who never leaves the basement. It doesn't really make much of a difference since I'm already an excessively nerdy guy to begin with, but I'd rather not compound the issue haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

@Jaden, I would bet most of us have been self-conscious to some extent in our gaming lives. The good news is that gaming has really become mainstream in the recent years, and can be seen as educational, fitness, practical art forms as well as entertainment. It’s no longer seen as for kiddies as it was back in the 80s/90s. 

Here’s some thoughts that has helped me to overcome the embarrassment factor as a gamer:

- your gaming preferences is what makes you unique as an individual. It’s like your “virtual gaming fingerprint”, nobody is quite like anyone else when it comes to gaming tastes throughout their life span.

- if people make fun of you just because they have different tastes, probably speaks more about them then it does about you. 

- if all else fails, just play the damn games and enjoy! Who gives a hoot if some lame ass thinks Frogger XYZ isn’t a good game!

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've played some weird shit that I would avoid talking about in certain company, though I didn't play them for the pleasure of playing them so much as "I was addicted to trophies at the time and these were the games to be played". 

I think there’s also the issue of different levels of gaming/hardcore. By that I mean some of us maybe casual gamers and only play up to a few levels for the experience. Some may play to complete the game and others play for 100% completion, including trophies and the absolute mundane stuff. So I guess it’s probably important to make gaming discussions to the right gaming crowd/persons.

I never tell people about my hobbies.  All my friends are normies who either don't play games or play the modern stuff.  I'm not embarrassed or anything, I just don't like being the conversation piece or the puzzle other people feel like they need to figure out.

Edited by CMR

• 2 weeks later...

No, but I can understand your feelings and they matter. 

However, live your Frogger life!!

The first thing I thought of reading how much you like Frogger was "wow, that's cool. Frogger IS a neat game." I've never really seen someone with a dedicated Frogger collection, it would be neat to see one put together. 

Every-time I play Frogger I think "this is neat, I'd like to play more."

I think the OG arcade Frogger is my favourite but I think it could lend itself well to an upgrade. 

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

• Like 1

I've legit thought about starting a little Frogger museum. It's a really overlooked franchise, and I don't think many people realize how far the rabbit hole goes and how much merch there is of it. Again, if you want an updated take on the original, definitely try Swampy's Revenge. One of my all time favorite games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaden said:

I've legit thought about starting a little Frogger museum. It's a really overlooked franchise, and I don't think many people realize how far the rabbit hole goes and how much merch there is of it. Again, if you want an updated take on the original, definitely try Swampy's Revenge. One of my all time favorite games.

You need to do this. YOU CAN DO IT. It would be incredible. It would be appreciated.