IGNORED

The GOLDEN GANONS 2023 nomination thread 2 - Gaming LEGENDS!!!

OptOut

209315093_logoawards.png.4be0118a5c8e118091effac5f629c28c.png

Welcome back to the GOLDEN GANONS for nomination thread number 2! This time we are taking a look at supreme gaming achievements among the gaming legends of VGS! In this thread, feel free to nominate your top picks for the following 3 awards:

1. The Great gaming DEBATE! - The best, most memorable and/or most controversial game debate topic!

2. VGS' Gaming GOD award - The most impressive gaming achievement by a VGS'er (single game achievement and/or cumulative impressive performances).

3.  VGS' HOTTEST take award - Which gaming related opinion is VGS' hottest take of the year? The more CONTROVERSIAL the opinion, the better!!! 

Definitely some SPICY categories in here, let's get right stuck in! As before, please keep discussions above the belt, lets see those nominations ROLL IN!!! 😍

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

These are oddly specific and I can’t even think of nominations lol

I don't mind getting the ball rolling then!

1. Hands down the greatest game debate we've had around here in recent times is the EPIC SMB3 vs. SMW clusterfuck, started by @AirVillain: https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/10752-smw-is-not-great-if-you-compare-it-to-smb3/

By the time you read through to where apparently Super Mario Brothers 2 is apparently a fake game, you're already in far too deep to turn back! 😂

2. I'm throwing this one to @ZeldaFreak for his, frankly, disturbingly amazing performance over a period of like two months over the length and breadth of the two VGS Survivor tournaments!!! I'm pretty sure he didn't actually sleep for like a solid three weeks in a row toward the end there as he cranked out highscore after highscore that completely blew everyone else out of the water in game after game after game!!! FREAK indeed!!! 😉

3. "Super Mario Bros. 2 is a fake Mario game." - @docile tapeworm 😜

There you go, that's a good start I reckon! 😄

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

I'm honoured, yet slightly offended at the same time. Hahaha, not really.... but clusterfuck?  No no... it's a lengthy, sometimes derailed, but important discussion! I've just come from there. It's a wonderful place. 😅

Is the thread meant to spur fun conversation and get people's juices going? Yes. Intentionally divisive? No.

Really though... I hope people have had fun and realize I'm here to have fun, and interesting discussions, as well. So thanks for the nomination.... even if it is because the thread is a clusterfuck. 🤣

I don't think I can vote for myself, nor am I sure of gaming achievements so I guess I'll vote for Skinny in 3. It's kind of like voting for myself, haha, so I'll live vicariously through him for that category. 🤣

3) Docile Tapeworm (aka. SkinnyVillain) for the (TRUE) statement that SMB2 USA is a fake Mario game.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1) For my money, the supreme quandary debate/discussion that we have from time to time over at VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition has been around the origin and meaning of the 5-Screw Oddity Cartridges. 

2) I will nominate @Floating Platforms for taking down Hyper Lode Runner without using a guide during the "Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497."  It took him over 40 hours.  I've had this game for a few years now and have yet to muster up the courage to buckle down on it.  After playing a few levels I was kind of shocked that such a difficult game was even released for the Game Boy.

3) ....??? I will have to take a little time to put some more thought into this one.  Stay tuned.....

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1) has to be @AirVillainand the smb3 vs smw thread. 

2) not gna lie, I don't pay much mind to this so I'm gna throw out @Reed Rothchildsince I'm sure he beat dozens of games and organized and maintained the backlog thread.

3) gotta be @the_wizard_666s take on the NES having the weakest first party line up of all Nintendo platforms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, Brickman said:

These questions are really specific and I couldn't even answer 1 or 3 but I know @Philosoraptor and that dude that beat all the NES games and ranked their difficulty probably deserve #2. I can't remember the name of the guy who beat all the NES games though.

crabmaster maybe?

Graphics Team · Posted

1 ) The Great gaming DEBATE! - The best, most memorable and/or most controversial game debate topic!

I agree with @AirVillain's "SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3..." debate.

2 ) VGS' Gaming GOD award - The most impressive gaming achievement by a VGS'er (single game achievement and/or cumulative impressive performances).

This has to be @PII's ridiculous world-record at Q*Bert's Qubes [2600].

Spoiler
On 4/24/2022 at 2:58 AM, PII said:

I played a new run of Q*bert's Qubes using the original Atari 2600 Cartridge on an Atari 7800 Console and Recorded the whole works, rolling the score 3 times for a total of:

3,291,480 Points.

The Video is a bit longish at over 7 hours.  That might be a hair much for some folks to view in its entirety, but anyone wishing to Git Gud may find some A-ha! moments at any point there-in.

3.  VGS' HOTTEST take award - Which gaming related opinion is VGS' hottest take of the year? The more CONTROVERSIAL the opinion, the better!!! 

There are a lot of "hot takes" here, since VGS seems to attract so many contrarians (myself included), but I'm gonna go with @fcgamer's opinion that the SNES is trash.
(Granted, I'm not much of a Super Nintendo fan myself, but I'm still shocked when I hear you rank it so poorly, @fcgamer haha.)

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't really speak to 1 or 3, but for #2 I'd like to nominate @Reed Rothchild for finishing up his SNES rankings and @nerdynebraskan for beating over 1/4 the games in the NES Completions thread last year. Also, if I can nominate a third, shout out to @Floating Platforms for finishing the year strong and taking the #1 spot on the leaderboard in the Beat Every Game Boy Game thread last year. He beat several tough as nails games throughout the year.

It's peeps like these that make this site special.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

I'm not really much into throwing votes on this stuff, more fun to see what shakes out, but for the hot takes it's hard to find one more obvious than either wiz of fcgamer with their steady dislike of the NES and SNES respectively and how supposedly bad they are.  Maybe they miss segaages. 😉

• Like 1