IGNORED

Starting a YouTube Channel

fcgamer

I have a friend from South America who keeps asking me to start a YouTube channel about Famicom and gaming. I've toyed with the idea for years but I don't want to start another project and have no one watch it, though similarly, I know good channels take time and effort to properly cultivate.

That's where you guys come in, I think most of us have seen each other's posts before, so I think therefore I can ask a few questions that might help me decide if I'll undertake this project or not.

A. Do you prefer heavily edited videos with tons of music, sound effects, graphics etc, or videos of someone just narrating with a simple presentation style?

B. What would be the preferred video length? Something short and sweet like 15-20 minutes, a bit longer/shorter, etc?

C. Would you prefer new episodes multiple times a week or just once a week?

D. What content would you prefer to see? Something relating to Taiwan and gaming, unauthorized stuff, collecting, gaming, something else entirely?

E. Would you consider watching a channel that I've done?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I think the big thing with YT is consistency and playing to the algorithm. It is possible to have a smaller, but more dedicated fan base for something niche, but you still have to be relatively consistent with content. I'm not sure 'highly edited' is the way to go but high polished/production is what I see do well on YT outside of already established content (i.e. good audio/picture, well presented, etc.)

Also 15-20 minutes is short and sweet???... that is becoming a lifetime w.r.t YT these days and the pushing of shorts. Most channels I see that have 10+ min videos are well established channels that put out one long video every month or so that seems to do well with the algorithm and I'm sure helps keep video quality high. 

If I was starting out, I'd try to find a format that works to be able to remain consistent without burning yourself out.  You gotta stick to content you're interested in or it's just gonna feel like work. 

A. Keep it simple. As all the extra editing seems like a quick way to get burnt out.

B. I think YT likes 10+ minute videos so I'd shoot for 10-12. Maybe for more in-depth topics you could do 15-20, but bloated videos are a quick turn off. I typically watch videos at 1.25x speed because people talk so slow possibly to pad the runtime.

C. 1-2 videos a week.

D. I'd be most interested in Taiwan related stuff, but try out a couple different formats and see what clicks with you and your audience.

E. Yes.

I'd be interested in a YouTube channel dedicated to Taiwanese games and the companies that made them. I personally don't mind watching longer videos if the subject requires it, though shorter is probably better for starting out. I don't think extensive editing is necessary or this sort of thing. Multiple episodes a week sounds like a lot, I wouldn't mind a less frequent upload schedule. I'd definitely check out your channel if you decide to make it

I would go one video a week, or even two weeks to start, unless your videos are insanely short. People often underestimate the amount of work making even simple videos can take, and you can burn yourself out really quick. Big YouTubers put out tons of stuff because they have entire teams of people working with them. Their early stuff is usually pretty simple and short.

Slow but steady pace will sustain inertia.

Be yourself, don't try to ape anyone else. Lord knows we have enough AVGN clones. But at the same time don't make it a plain Jane info dump. Show your enthusiasm for those obscure bootlegs and region specific stuff, and its place in gaming history. No one will care unless YOU care. Your genuine excitement will be infectious, trust me.

Good luck!

Edited by Tulpa

A. Do you prefer heavily edited videos with tons of music, sound effects, graphics etc, or videos of someone just narrating with a simple presentation style?

I'm a fan on of what some simply called "old YouTube", which largely feels like someone is doing it as a hobby.  Granted, that doesn't mean you can't have personal polish.  I not necessarily fond of someone who's just a shaking cam talking about their pickups, but some of my favorite YouTubers obviously just have a tripod and talk about/show off what they have, and they might have a lapel mic.  There's nothing wrong with an intro sound/song, but don't over do it with too many bg tracks and scene transitions.

B. What would be the preferred video length? Something short and sweet like 15-20 minutes, a bit longer/shorter, etc?

I don't buy the need for shorts.  A lot of YTers (not just the gamers) say that everyone is "pushing" shorts and that's suppose to help you with the algorithm, but many of them have mentioned they've seen no boost by them and, shocker, many of their viewers are annoyed by them.  Maybe that's because I'm in my 40s and I'm probably paired with a similar demo and we actually like, you know, content.  Regardless, you can experiment with throwing up a short or two a week if you find a really cool pick up.  Show it in the store.  Why not?

I like videos in the 10-15 minute range, personally.

I think one a week is fine, and if you do post shorts, maybe 1-2 of those a week.

D. What content would you prefer to see? Something relating to Taiwan and gaming, unauthorized stuff, collecting, gaming, something else entirely?

All of the above, but present what you own and find for a western audience.  Maybe spotlight why collecting in your region is fun and appealing and try to draw in gamers that aren't familiar with bootlegs and the eastern markets.  The gaming space is pretty dry with fresh content, other than new game release reviews and showing off hardware.  Bring "something new" to the table.  I can't say it'd guarantee success, but it can't hurt and I'd be quite interested in it.

Absolutely!  I'd ask that you keep it clean...ish.  I mean, it's the internet and we live in a free world, but having it family friendly (although you don't have to mark it as "Children's Content") should only widen your reach and I'd think would help your growth.

Edited by RH

All I can say is you gotta figure the competition on YouTube and other such places is only gonna get tougher with each passing day.  I mean if the OP is really ready to put in the committment then I say go for it!  Still, if he is indeed big social media star bound...

21 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I have a friend from South America who keeps asking me to start a YouTube channel about Famicom and gaming. I've toyed with the idea for years but I don't want to start another project and have no one watch it, though similarly, I know good channels take time and effort to properly cultivate.

That's where you guys come in, I think most of us have seen each other's posts before, so I think therefore I can ask a few questions that might help me decide if I'll undertake this project or not.

Thanks! 

I'd very very strongly suggest you go the informative, level headed, even toned deep dive level of work that the NES/Gameboy Works (Jeremy Parish) and Gaming Historian does.  We don't need another in a long mile of flash flair pop and suck up style posting most of those coining wankers do to get attention the last many years.  They suck, they're like carbon copies, and they just spit out the same tired crap stolen from each other or the wikipedia if not someone (like yours) actual work to get paid for it.  Don't do it.  Rise over it.

I'd stick to a video that is 15min, 20 tops, no less than 10.  If you have some super special, take it out to 30-45min tops as anything more would be pushing it, as seen with Gaming Historian as sometimes it's warranted.

I'd shoot depending on what your plans are for 1 a week, more if you go with some shorter episodes given the time you may have to do it, and people to help in the background.

If you want to shoot for taiwan, stick to what you know, the junk shops, the bootlegs, their own home baked stuff even.  Dive into the history, the details, show the product, influences, like the WORKS videos do, because at least you're giving someone a reason to stick around and not run to the wikipedia instead.

And yes, if you do it in the style I said and stick away from attention whore tactics, I'd sub, and I don't sub to much because it's an echo chamber of idiots (and thieves) these days to just get attention and more so, paid.

22 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Thanks! 

A. If you're only doing it for others to watch, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You should enjoy making videos, it's the only way you'll be successful. I do prefer more editing and music but that may not be where you start.

B. This is something you need to figure out with trial and error in YouTube Studio, something you get access to after creating your account.

C. Again, something you figure out with trial and error.

D. Anything gaming related that's heavily researched and not just your biased opinion. YouTube is always more successful with objective facts. I should be able to finish a video and have no idea what your personal opinion is because I don't really care about a creator's opinion, I just want the facts to form my own.

E. Yes I would.

You really just need to consider which content you watch and emulate that to some degree. Do you like videos that are 5 minutes long or an hour? Which day do you usually watch? Which months? I'm a car guy so I watch a lot of automotive content on YouTube and a guy named Doug DeMuro is one of the most successful guys on YouTube. He has some videos where he goes into detail about analytics and what is more successful. He's also hilarious and very factual. He's my main inspiration for my videos.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

A. If you're only doing it for others to watch, you're doing it for the wrong reasons

I forgot to mention this but @Code Monkey is 100% correct.  You have a lot of awesome stuff and I'd love to see it in video format because it can include interaction with the stuff, plus dialog regarding origin, where you found it, general history, etc.

However, if you do not get enjoyment out of the process, DO NOT do it.  Good video making is difficult and YouTube can be a beast to break into.  I think YT intentionally pushes down new content creators for a season because they want to bubble-up and promote channels that won't be around for just 1-3 months.  I can respect that too.

So do it if you enjoy it, and make what you'd want to watch.  That may not get you to 1,000,000 subs, but it will build a pool of like-minded subscribers and watchers that you'll actually appreciate connecting and sharing with.

Yeah, Code Monkey hit it on the head. It's part of the enthusiasm aspect. His example of Doug DeMuro is spot on. You can tell that guy loves cars, and he'd be making videos even if no one watched them. Same with Matt Carriker from Demolition Ranch.

Heck, you don't even have to be all out crazy fun guy. Look at MW Restoration's videos. They don't say a word, and you don't even see their face (usually just their hands), but you can tell they're really into restoration, and their videos are oddly compelling.

The thing that separates successful yt content from the rest is the comfort in front of the camera. If the creators aren't themselves in front of the camera, the eyes just don't get drawn in. 

Even if they're goofy, or awkward, the second people try to put on a front it won't matter what the content is about, there just won't be long term viewership. 

My advice is always try to do as many segments or videos in one take. Especially someone with your depth of knowledge just hearing an organic explanation of topics would be enough.

• Agree 1

@fcgamerI think a lot of hardcore gamers/collectors would give your YT channel a try, even with little background interest of the bootleg variety. How much we’re going to persist with it probably depends on how interesting you can make it though in the long run.

The good thing is that you don’t have to have a world-beating video right from the start, and you can ask people to give you feedback either from YT, or on VGS. Then adjust according to feedback and your level of interest in doing more videos.

I've been considering getting some video equipment together to go back to making videos too, so this thread caught my eye. I wouldn't want to monetize any of my videos, as that's not what I'm interested in. I'm more interested in adding information to Youtube about games that aren't already covered extensively. While shopping for the Wii and Wii U lately, I've been frustrated at the lack of footage about some of the games I was interested in. To help future collectors, I'd like to add way more footage of these games for people to look at.

I had Youtube closer to when it came out, but I gave up on it after Google bought it. Unfortunately during the transition I lost access to my Youtube account, so I haven't been able to go back and erase them from the planet. Luckily I had already taken down most of the cringe worthy stuff I made when I was 16-21, but some of it is still floating around out there.

If you Google "Hamburger Helper Unboxing Video", you can find a young 22 year old Peko making fun of Youtube unboxing videos. It's certainly cringe, but I'm still proud of the concept. 😄 (It's not a self plug since I haven't used that account in over a decade)

Administrator · Posted

Some advice from an ex-tuber: Careful what you do. If you create a niche even by mistake, people will HOUND you for that specific content.

I'm a gaming nomad. I jump from game to game to game and never really stick to just one, aside from a couple staples (Call of Duty and Runescape). I made a YT channel primarily to get better at speaking, removing Ums and Uhs from my vocabulary. Secondarily, I wanted to know what goes into video production, gain some skills in that department. Both goals were obtained in the end, but I STILL to this day get bugged at least once a week to finish my playthrough of a game I don't like. To the point I've actually turned off my channel entirely, I got sick of being reminded of it.

• Agree 1

As long as you don’t do YouTube face in the thumbnails I’ll watch.

Joking but in all seriousness, I agree with a lot of what’s said here. If you can do a Jeremy Parrish-style documentary/educational sort of thing with your extensive knowledge of Japanese Famicom games I think that would be super rad.

As for the other points, 10-15 minutes and once a week should suffice.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:34 AM, fcgamer said:

Thanks! 

A. A variety of styles is ok. If people really like your stuff, they’ll listen to it if it’s made in one take on the iPhone, or if it’s shot on a camera with edits. I think the content is more important than the presentation.

B. 10 minutes max. I think 7 minutes is like a sweet spot.

C. If you have content that is worth watching, frequency doesn’t matter. Don’t make new videos just to make new videos. 

D. All of the above. I do think that we are lacking in a western perspective of Taiwan with boots on the ground

E. Absolutely. Just make sure you prioritize good content and everything will fall into place

I'm way too much of an introverted, keep to myself sort of guy to probably ever try making my own YouTube channel or other social media presence.  Still, the one thing I always think about if I ever did think of the idea or even when I see a sensitive divisive issue mentioned on the news and such is this...what is it that could be said and done that hasn't already been said and done by people with WAY more experience and qualifications than I?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm way too much of an introverted, keep to myself sort of guy to probably ever try making my own YouTube channel or other social media presence.  Still, the one thing I always think about if I ever did think of the idea or even when I see a sensitive divisive issue mentioned on the news and such is this...what is it that could be said and done that hasn't already been said and done by people with WAY more experience and qualifications than I?

Well, there's good news/bad news in this regard. Yes, a lot of this "has already been said".  When you want to make content related to history/nostalgia, there's only so much to be discovered that will have mass appeal, which is what you want so you can build a big subscriber base.  @fcgamer might be onto something, I'd still caution that there might not be enough subscribers to make it a small side-gig money maker (if that was even the goal) because people may love old video games but taking interest in other regions and bootlegs needs to be content that's crafted to pull in people and to make them curious.

Regardless, the YouTube algorithms have been modified in the past few years to bubble up newer content in searches, vs. content that's already been viewed 10 million times.  For good or bad, YT is prioritizing newer content.  This might be useful in some niches but in games and reviews, I'm more interested in the better opinions that are probably older, rather than some 20 year old with a different life and perspective of me talking about "Chrono Trigger is a hidden GEM!"

But as I said, it is good news.  Anyway can start a YouTube channel and if they want to do it for themselves and if they want to discuss topics that have been discussed ad nauseum, but provide their own perspective, there's hope to do well because of the way YouTube is designed to function.  If you're making quality content, your videos will bubble up in searches.  If you are not making good videos and stagnant with your channel, your channel will quickly fade in to obscurity.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

If you think it will be fun to do, then go for it and drop us a link. It can be neat to make videos to document your stuff/processes/ideas and show them to other people, but don't pretend you're not doing it for money if you secretly do want the money. I know a guy who insisted he wasn't doing it for money until he qualified for monetization, and guess what happened. Don't ever say the words "subscribers" or "views."

When I was in business school, getting close to graduation, a bunch of my classmates were talking about what business ventures they had already started or planned to start. One guy had already spent some time in the field before going back to school, and he said that he just couldn't stick with anything that he wasn't really actually passionate about, even if it was a slam-dunk "blue ocean" million-dollar idea.

• Like 1