IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Rolling Thunder is done... at last! Despite the shortness of this game, and the generosity of continues and a password system, it may still be one of the ten hardest games I've finished. I've beaten it a couple of times before, but it still took me off and on for several months to finally reach and kill the alien boss dude.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 527/667 (bonus games - 49/100)

Simpsons Bartman Meets Radioactive Man is done.

I was playing this earlier in the evening on my actual NES console when, in the lair of Dr. Julius Crab, the screen glitched out due to a contact issue between game and pin connector.  It's really rare that that happens and I usually just lightly tap the game and everything is cool again.  This time however, that tactic was not only a no go but I managed to cause it to freeze up.  And so, although I've done it many times before with other NES's It's finally time to open up my original NES and ( ¡GASP! ) boil the pin connector!

Simpsons Bartman Radioactive Man.png

15 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Why would you not? This is a proven way to clean the pins.

Where did you hear it from and who proved it? Facebook mums? Don't listen to them ever again

Do you boil your TV or smartphone when it gets broken? Of course not so why this time? This has absolutely no benefits and the only outcome you will ever get is you are going to destroy your connector. Instead do this to the double female connector in your NES:

1.Take your old credit card

2.Wrap an old piece of cloth or piece of paper around it (NOT toilet paper, regular A4 sheet of paper used for printing documents)

3.Soak it in isopropyl alcohol or any sort of high percentage alcohol

4.Keep inserting it into your double female NES connector on both sides until all of the pins are cleaned

5.Stop reading facebook or watching 5 minute crafts

Alternatively, you can soak the entire connector in alcohol if you have so much of it and you can clean it using the method above or using an old toothbrush and brushing the pins. There are several methods of doing this actually. Don't forget to clean the connector on NES motherboard as well. Certainly do NOT boil it ever

3 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Where did you hear it from and who proved it? Facebook mums? Don't listen to them ever again

Do you boil your TV or smartphone when it gets broken? Of course not so why this time? This has absolutely no benefits and the only outcome you will ever get is you are going to destroy your connector. Instead do this to the double female connector in your NES:

2.Wrap an old piece of cloth or piece of paper around it (NOT toilet paper, regular A4 sheet of paper used for printing documents)

4.Keep inserting it into your double female NES connector on both sides until all of the pins are cleaned

Alternatively, you can soak the entire connector in alcohol if you have so much of it and you can clean it using the method above or using an old toothbrush and brushing the pins. There are several methods of doing this actually. Don't forget to clean the connector on NES motherboard as well. Certainly do NOT boil it ever

I've proven it to myself many, MANY times.  Although it may sound like the sort of thing that one would never want to do, I can assure that I've had the same excellent results every single time I've done this in the past.  A pin connector is not a tv or a phone.  It is not a printed circuit.  It is metal and a very high grade plastic that will not be altered in the slightest from boiling (always distilled water.)  Isopropyl is fine for cleaning pins and contacts but one thing it cannot address is the widening of space between the pins that comes with use over time that lessens the grip.  You may already be aware that latter day 3rd party replacement pin connectors tend overwhelmingly to have a horrible death grip.  The best fix is the boil.  It not only cleans the pins in one fell swoop, but resets the pin placement to something highly comparable to the placement they had when the pin connector was first produced.

4 hours ago, BlackVega said:

EDIT: Removed rude remark, sorry.

Boiling isn't only about cleaning the pins but straightening them as they become warped with use.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2015/09/boil-vs-bending-will-boiling-nes-72pin.html

Edited by mbd39

This sounds like something that is extremely experimental without any guarantees. Actually, YES you CAN submerge and clean the connector with water, just regular tap water and you can use soap as well. But boiling? Getting more technical here plastic is going to be melt in temperature of 212F (or 100C) and metal is going to absorb temperature and deform the plastic around it. I'm shocked whoever tried this didn't throw the connector into the trash can. I'm pretty positive people who reported this method worked is just from the cleaning process as a side effect... 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 529/667 (bonus games - 49/100)
On 4/2/2023 at 10:47 PM, TheGameDisplay said:

This is a really neat project! Is it possible to retroactively claim a few games that I beat earlier this year?

The Last Starfighter:

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (Taito)

Laser Invasion - Beat March 01 2023

image.jpeg.248ba19f49f4864dbefabab6a97edab1.jpeg

Kings of the Beach - Beat February 13 2023

20230214_030323.jpg.17f055d304816793ae09fd372b167a17.jpg

Legend of Kage - Beat March 14 2023

Kage.jpg.6c670b5fa686ed08a158c4f710106a3f.jpg

L'Empereur - Beat March 27 2023 (Done on an Everdrive because my cart doesn't reliably hold a save file)

Lem.jpg.39427ca483228c8803aac2544e1cac8b.jpg

I'll stop there. Sorry for intruding as the new guy. 😛

Anyone who beats L'Empereur is ok in my book. Congrats on the Koei goodness!

• Like 1

Thank you! Before playing through all of the NES games I had never really touched any strategy stuff. Now after beating Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Gemfire, and L'Empereur I've really come appreciate the Koei games!

I also recently beat Little Ninja Brothers. What a huge improvement over Kung Fu Heroes!

20230405_181548.jpg.62ac3ddfe5b5c8f52b840ce64fc2705f.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 530/667 (bonus games - 49/100)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 535/667 (bonus games - 49/100)

The Metroid challenge has been completed.

It was my first time ever beating the game, but I'm also the kind of guy that likes to explore every corner and collect every item so I figured I'd go for the 100% challenge. Even with maps and walkthroughs in front of me, I still got lost and confused on a regular basis. The programmers got a bit carried away with designing this world!

I see why this game is a classic that spawned a franchise, but the original is definitely rough around the edges.

It's absolutely brutal to respawn after a death with only 30 health all game long. Farming health takes way too long since most enemies only drop 5 units at a time (until you reach the Metroids in the final tunnel). You spend most of the game taking three times as much damage from enemies as you stand to gain if you can kill them and they drop a health capsule.

I was not particularly pleased with Samus's jumping mechanics. This game has many spots that demand Mario-esque platforming precision, but I found myself wondering if she had greased her boots in Crisco. I found myself repeatedly slipping around almost as badly as if I was playing a Color Dreams platformer.

And I really wished I could have kept both the ice beam and wave beams, even if I had to switch between the two a la Mega Man. As it was I only used the wave beam for about 30 minutes in Ridley's lair until I could collect the second ice beam to satisfy the terms of the 100% items challenge. But I was enjoying it, aside from missing the ability to freeze enemies. It was stronger and had a wider pattern to hit those annoying enemies that stay out of your narrow line of fire. Actually, this game would have been much more enjoyable with the 8-directional shooting a la Contra.

There is of course the one bullshit jump to get the most remote missile capacity upgrade in Ridley's hideout. That only took me 5-6 tries to pull off, but it still took what seemed like an hour because you have to backtrack all the way through the hideout to get back to that spot when you fail. The game offers 8 energy tank upgrades, but it seems like you can only hold and fill six of them.

And of course I got the worst ending because it took me so long to beat the game. (Samus didn't show me her curves.) I played it about 9-10 hours on Thursday, and got from the beginning to the Metroid tunnel. I was busy yesterday, so I didn't get back to finishing the game until today. I could see myself revisiting this in future years, but I'll be skipping a few of the items and trying to beat it faster for better endings.

• Like 4

On 5/6/2023 at 12:09 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

The game offers 8 energy tank upgrades, but it seems like you can only hold and fill six of them.

I feel like this was an intentional design element used as a stop-gap solution to refill your health if you have to continue with a password, since they fill up your health completely on pick-up.  Like, how long would it take in real world time to farm enemies to fill up six tanks on a restart?  They even put one of the tanks in the first corridor, so it seems to me that this was the 1986 version of filling up your health on a restart before the "invention" of health fill-up rooms...

• Agree 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 535/667 (bonus games - 51/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 536/667 (bonus games - 52/100)