IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

16 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

Hey guys! How ya been?? I've been following this thread as I always do. Are we slowin' down here? Do you need some help with Arkanoid and all the shooters? I have faith in you all. If it gets dire in a few months I'll start chipping in!

Good to see you back around! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego is done for another year. @scaryice , am I the first player to ever clear this game twice for this competition?

That's correct. There were 4 games that were beaten by a different person in every year from 2012-22: Bubble Bobble, Karnov, TMNT Tournament Fighters, and Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego. Only Bubble Bobble and Karnov will remain for next year.

There's another ~25 games that also haven't had anyone beat them twice, but also haven't been beaten every year.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 538/667 (bonus games - 53/100)

The Duck Tales bad ending challenge has been completed. That was an interesting bit of trivia, but I still think that getting the $10 million best ending would have been more interesting and a bit more difficult. It was my first time seeing the bad ending, or learning that there was a hidden $3 million healing move. But the $10 million ending is cooler, especially as it basically requires you to get the hidden treasures.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:58 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

Where is the loop point in Spy Hunter? I did just play through a whole winter and died maybe 30-45 seconds after when the weather warmed and the road thawed. But the whole game is so same-y, I can't really tell if there are any kinds of monuments to be looking for?

It sounds like you did it. I think it's about 15 minutes or so to complete a loop? Maybe less.

52 minutes ago, scaryice said:

It sounds like you did it. I think it's about 15 minutes or so to complete a loop? Maybe less.

I played at least that long. I generally found it much safer to putter along at low speed and kill time while an already-spawned enemy was on screen but too far ahead or behind to be a threat. 

Sources on the NES port are surprisingly slim online, but from what I read the four seasons can actually appear randomly and out of order but winter is always supposed to come last. It seems that winter is hard mode, as the roads actually became slippery when they turned snowy. But there was also a long stretch in winter where I drove on an empty road with no enemies spawning. 

If seeing the road and scenery thaw after winter is the loop point, then yes Spy Hunter is done. The lack of monuments is just kind of confusing and unsatisfying. When I play a loop of MagMax or Terra Cresta (where there is some bonus area after the final boss) , I play through the big boss and go through until the second appearance of the first mini-boss to be sure. But Spy Hunter doesn't have those kind of checkpoints. 

9 hours ago, TheGameDisplay said:

I beat Micro Machines a few days ago. It's a fun game to mess around with, but brutal to try and beat. I'm not sure that all of the people who like to sing its praises have ever actually attempted to play it through from beginning to end. But regardless, it's done, and I did have some fun. XD

Well done! I am one of the many who've had fun messing around with Micro Machines, but I've never tried to seriously beat it. But as someone who has beaten a handful of Codemasters/Camerica games, I totally understand where you're coming from. Their games are well-made, but consistently brutal to finish. There's always been that lingering conspiracy theory, that since the same company also gave us the Game Genie, that they may have intentionally overpowered their games to sell more Game Genies to help the casuals to see the end screens of their own games. Do they at least give you unlimited continues in Micro Machines?

• Like 1

Thank you! Playing through all of the NES games in alphabetical order, the only Code Masters game I've beat to this point that had infinite continues was Linus Spacehead's Cosmic Crusade. Games like Big Nose, The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, Fire Hawk, and now Micro Machines were all Game Over once and you're playing the entire thing again. Even MiG-29 which came immediately after Micro Machines had no continues! 😛

That Game Genie theory actually makes a lot of sense. I definitely noticed how consistently unforgiving Code Masters games were. At least they tend to be pretty fun and decently made, especially compared to other unlicensed NES games out there.

Yeah, I knew Ultimate Stuntman did too. But it does seem like most Camerica games don't have continue credits.

I had an epic fail at Wall Street Kid tonight. I was at the end of the game, and had $1 million more than I needed to buy the castle. I sold all of my stocks, but instead of going to the bank I hit the clock to end my day. I got scolded by the shyster lawyer for not paying my debts and it was Game Over. I'll definitely get it on my next try, as I've now meticulously mapped out the game.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 540/667 (bonus games - 55/100)
On 6/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, TheGameDisplay said:

20230516_012930.jpg.e01becf8cb261a1285def5cc91b75728.jpg

I beat Micro Machines a few days ago. It's a fun game to mess around with, but brutal to try and beat. I'm not sure that all of the people who like to sing its praises have ever actually attempted to play it through from beginning to end. But regardless, it's done, and I did have some fun. XD

Congrats, man!  I actually beat Micro Machines for my personal list once and I had a no-death run going into what I thought was the final race; well, I beat the "last race" to fill up the trophy case, but then it said something like "win this race to become champion," and it made me do the same race again, and I died once, so it ended up being a one death run.

The game is definitely difficult, but you can make it a whole lot easier by researching which opponents are the hardest to beat and choosing them out of the gate and saving the wimpier opponents for the end.  Conversely, you can make the game much more difficult on yourself by purposely leaving the really good opponents to the end for a more satisfying victory.  That's what I did, and I always use Walter, so I feel like my victory over the game was well-deserved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Congrats, man!  I actually beat Micro Machines for my personal list once and I had a no-death run going into what I thought was the final race; well, I beat the "last race" to fill up the trophy case, but then it said something like "win this race to become champion," and it made me do the same race again, and I died once, so it ended up being a one death run.

The game is definitely difficult, but you can make it a whole lot easier by researching which opponents are the hardest to beat and choosing them out of the gate and saving the wimpier opponents for the end.  Conversely, you can make the game much more difficult on yourself by purposely leaving the really good opponents to the end for a more satisfying victory.  That's what I did, and I always use Walter, so I feel like my victory over the game was well-deserved.

Thank you! And congratulations to you as well. Haha, I didn't know about the final race either. That track was my least favorite in the entire game, and I breathed a sigh of relief once it was over with, only to end up having to do it again at the end! And not only that, but you're now required to place 1st. I was in 2nd place, down to my last life, going into the final turn of the final lap, and I made the pass to take home the gold. It was the stuff of Hollywood legends. XD

I look forward to going back and playing with different character combinations. There are a few quirks I wish were worked out, like the collision detection against solid objects or how racers in front of you can seemingly disappear on the final lap, but overall it's a fun game!

• Like 1

I believe Barker Bill's Trick Shooting is done.

The first three games are just high-score games that loop after one level, right? And Fun Follies is a loop after 9 stages because Bill's Thrills is the final new stage in the game (and first appears in Stage 9)? I played Fun Follies through Stage 13... the one with Trixie and the coins after the first Bill's Thrills.