IGNORED

New Largest Game collection (24,000 in texas)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11536649/Texas-gamer-worlds-largest-collection-VIDEO-GAMES-estimated-worth-2-1M.html?ITO=applenews-us

Not sure about the worth “2.1 million” - maybe at the height of the hype. 

Anyways, thats a lot of games. I barely have time to clean, organize and test my 2000 lol. 

Congrats if you are on this site, Antonio. 

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I was wondering what happened to this dude. Didnt someone post recently asking what was up with him? I’m more impressed he has the space to store 24k games, my man’s house must look like the library of congress lol

I bet it is a disaster, but would love to be proven wrong. We need a gameroom tour!

43 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

200.gif

What is your total count, I would estimate 5000-8000

• Like 1

• He began his in 1987 at 10-years-old with his stack of Sega Genesis games  

How did he do this if Genesis was released in North America in August of 1989?

Even if he had acquired a Megadrive from the earlier Japan release in October of 1988 that still wouldn't fit....

EDIT: whoops didn't realize @Tulpa had already covered this.

Edited by PII

37 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

"He began his in 1987 at 10-years-old with his stack of Sega Genesis games"

Obligatory "he couldn't have been collecting at 10, he was just a kid" nonsense.  🤪

(Note that I disagree with the above stance, just throwing it out there before the folks who thump on it really hard every time young collectors come up have a chance.)

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

What is your total count, I would estimate 5000-8000

Part of the problem is I really need to get my own personal catalog finished. I had this or that on x site. 

I think RF Generation is the most complete I have right now and its around 6300. I know I have stuff that is not in their database, so I think I would estimate my collection to be around 6500. I only have around 500 games left too on my for sure "to get" list. Feels close but it's actually pretty far still considering the majority of those are stupid pricy Sega CD, Turbografx, Saturn etc games. 

I will have a catalog of all of it. eventually. 

From the article:

"While he has secured five world records, Mr Monteiro is still not done and plans to complete the North America collection for all major videogame platforms."

He's gonna need some VERY deep pockets to wrestle some of that Atari 2600 stuff away from the guys that currently have it.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

From the article:

"While he has secured five world records, Mr Monteiro is still not done and plans to complete the North America collection for all major videogame platforms."

He's gonna need some VERY deep pockets to wrestle some of that Atari 2600 stuff away from the guys that currently have it.

Yeah, if I had Red Sea Crossing or Gamma Attack, I'd soak him for every cent possible.

edit: I read that the guy who owns Gamma Attack had it on eBay for $500,000 BIN. That's a quarter of what this guy's collection is worth by itself, assuming top dollar as Mr. W said.

Edited by Tulpa

59 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I always assume that people not in California have 2000 sqft + basements

Mine is probably about 1,500 if I include the garage.  I'm not an "every man" but in certain areas around here in NC, 2,000 sq/ft in a basement is... feasible for some.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Mine is probably about 1,500 if I include the garage.  I'm not an "every man" but in certain areas around here in NC, 2,000 sq/ft in a basement is... feasible for some.

You guys don't count basements in total house square footage unless it's a walkout basement or some such, right?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You guys don't count basements in total house square footage unless it's a walkout basement or some such, right?

It has to be "finished" and there are some rules to what that means.  In our case, we have a bedroom and full bathroom in the basement because it was once a  semi-apartment (my wife's uncle lived down here when this house was owned by her grandparents.)

Anyway, the basement has a part where the ceiling isn't finished.  It's a big open room where the washer and dryer is and because of that, we can't count the square footage, but the area is quite livable.  I work down here and the wife and kids also do homeschool work in the big room.  My office is the aforementioned bedroom, and is also my game room.

It's a shame.  We've made it a nice livable space down here and it's probably a total of 1,000 sq/ft, but it can't count towards the house total unless we get some ceiling work done.

I still feel that dudes like @DreamTR or @VideoGameGalaxy and The Last Gamer, and "TheMaskedGamer" easily eclipse people like this.

But still, even if you do not count any PC games and just do consoles and handhelds, and even if you include Japan/PAL/South America stuff in your lists then that's a really tough number to reach. Here's a really really really rough approximation of what you can reasonably collect.

Oh, and I'm not sure if DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One count non-physical games. I just looked up on Wikipedia the game counts.

Nintendo - ~14,650 Games

• NES/FC/FDS - ~1500 Licensed + ~250 Unlicensed (Not counting pirates in any form)
  • SNES/SFC ~1750 Games
  • N64/64DD - ~400 Games
  • Gamecube - ~650 Games
  • Wii - ~1650 Games
  • Wii U - ~200Games
  • GameBoy - ~1050 Games
  • GBC - ~900 Games
  • GBA - ~1500 Games
  • DS - ~3400 Games
  • 3DS- ~1400 Games

Sega - ~3,500 Games

• SG-1000 - ~75 Games
  • Master System ~300 Games
  • Genesis/CD/32X - ~1100 Games
  • Saturn - ~1050 Games
  • Dreamcast - ~625 Games
  • Game Gear- ~350 Games

Sony - ~17,800 Games

• PlayStation - ~4100 Games
  • PlayStation 2 - ~4350 Games
  • PlayStation 3 - ~2550 Games
  • PlayStation 4 - ~3400 Games
  • PSP - ~1900 Games
  • PSVita - ~1500 Games

Xbox - ~6,100 Games

• Xbox - ~1000 Games
  • Xbox 360 - ~2100 Games
  • Xbox One - ~3000 Games

Others - ~2,275 Games

• Atari 2600 - ~500 Games
  • Atari 5200 - 69 Games
  • Atari 7800 - 59 Games
  • Atari Jaguar - 50 Games
  • Atari Lynx - 73 Games
  • Mattel Intellivision - 118 Games
  • ColecoVision - 146 Games
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2 - ~60 Games
  • GCE Vectrex - 28 Games
  • NEC TG / PCE / CD - 678 Games
  • NEC PC-FX - 62 Games
  • SNK Neo Geo AES - 117 Games
  • SNK Neo Geo Poket - 83 Games
  • Commodore CDTV - 22 Games
  • Commodore CD32 - 147 Games
  • Nokia N-Gage - 63 Games
  • Phillips CD-i - 208 Games
  • 3DO - 251 Games

Roughly speaking, that's 44,000 games. If you take out the systems that might have digital only games in their lists (DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One) then you're left with a whopping sum of 22,975 games.

I thought this dude already had the world record. Who did he get it back from?

I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to completely cheese this record loading up on dollar bin ZX Spectrum and Commodore tapes, Japanese loose Game Boy, Wii, disc only PC lots, etc. Not that it would be easy to get 25,000 games, but you could juice your numbers up by a few thousand on the cheap if you already had a significant collection just to get the record.