IGNORED

Disney Plus is Here!

doner24

Moderator · Posted
27 minutes ago, LtCasual said:

Watched the Imagineering documentary, that was really interesting. I had no idea Disney was such a pioneer on animatronics. 

I’ll have to check it out, just downloaded my first movie for a flight. Check this one out if you haven’t seen it, one of Sean Connery’s first films! Love the warning at the bottom 😂 

82ECE4A7-A4E3-43A3-A0E4-E7739C587866.png

• Like 1

I really hope they intend a lot more of their classic back library in the coming year.  I was kind of borderline ticked off they didn't put all the old movie theater black and white/color cartoon shorts.  They used to blow those out or hours in the first decade Disney Channel was around, and about the time they pulled them all of them got rolled into a lot of metal case/interior plastic clamshell with extras DVD sets.  There's no good reason not to include that stuff.

2 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

Has anybody been having any isssues with Disney+ so far? I've been considering signing up but I keep seeing articles about what a "disaster" the launch has been so far. Reading all the comments here though, it seems like you all have been enjoying it. Just wondering.

Yes there have been a few hiccups when loading some shows/movies but anytime I get an error message I just click play again and it works. 

Like any new service, there will be issues to work out. I have yet to witness personally anything that would deem the service broken and warrant me cancelling my subscription

4 minutes ago, Ausden said:

Yes there have been a few hiccups when loading some shows/movies but anytime I get an error message I just click play again and it works. 

Like any new service, there will be issues to work out. I have yet to witness personally anything that would deem the service broken and warrant me cancelling my subscription

I've largely had a similar experience from day one.  The one thing that it's still doing (or, rather, not doing) that bugs me is, unlike every other streaming service that I currently use or have used in the past, it doesn't seem to keep track of what episodes of various shows that I've watched so as to be able to go directly to the next episode when I click play on the series icon itself.  Instead, it starts off at episode 1.  Ugh.  Fingers crossed this will be a feature that's added (or fixed if it's something that was supposed to be included but seems to have been missed).

9 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Has anybody been having any isssues with Disney+ so far? I've been considering signing up but I keep seeing articles about what a "disaster" the launch has been so far. Reading all the comments here though, it seems like you all have been enjoying it. Just wondering.

Ive used it since the first day , and have had no issues. no lag, no errors. I dont know what people are talking about. Im guessing alot of people that had buffering issues have bad internet and slowing down their streaming

watched the second episode of mandalorian tonight. Solid show so far

Edited by Quest4Nes

On 11/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, cj_robot said:

Yeah, sounds like minor stuff as I would have expected from a brand new service. I figured these articles were blowing stuff out of proportion.

Thanks everyone.

For the most part, I've found that the articles trying to roast it for "technical difficulties" have been totally off base or stretching the truth a bit.  I installed it on day one and other than stuff loading a little slowly compared to other services I have, the only thing that I could really tell was "glitchy" was that the home screen didn't show anything on my account/setup until the following day.  I got a blank gray screen and didn't realize the app had finished loading and logging in the first time until I hit left on my remote and the side menu popped up.  From there I was able to search for things to watch or go through curated lists (from the search screen), just nothing on the "home" screen.  That corrected itself the following day.  I'm guessing that all the "nightmare" reports were just people logging in right when things kicked off, when the service was under its first true strain, and journalists (primarily) not taking that into account.  Other than minor missing features (and episodes, in some cases), I haven't experienced any issues with it whatsoever since day 1.

Well, my experience after signing up Saturday hasn't been great.  I mean, I love the accessibility of some obscure content I recall as a kid but it's the usability that's been tough.

We all know the general issue of finding some thing can be challenging. I don't mind that to much.  There are published lists of content online so searching for a title is no big deal... except when it is.  On my AppleTV, I use my iPhone as a remote.  Ok, so I type in a search in the search box but if I want to make a minor change using the Apple Remote, it won't back out the text. I HAVE to do it on my phone.  You might be asking, why use two remotes? Well, the iPhone uses WiFi and for some strange reason, it's a bit laggy.  So, I only use my phone when I want to type in text.  But, if I want to backspace a chracter or two, I'll use the Apple TV remote... but I can't because the text from the phone doesn't sync to the display.

Then, there was the issue of last night, which I assume might have been the most high-traffic night.  Plenty of late-coming new subs like myself, plus Sunday night is a BIG night for streaming services.  I could stream stuff that was less popular. We watched the first Forkie short and I watched Bao because I hadn't seen it.  However, after many, many attempts, I couldn't get The Manadlorian started, and when I let my wife pick, I couldn't watch Noelle either. I think this must have been because to many people must have been trying to access those videos.

However, after watching those couple of shorts, I gave The Mandalorian one more try.  Well, actually 3x more tries.  On the last, and what was going to be my legit final attempt... it worked!  To Disney's credit, once it started playing, we never had to buffer and image quality didn't degrade at all.  My guess is that they engineered the system to not allow more streamers than can be allowed to output the content at peak bandwidth.  So, when I fired up The Mandalorian at 9:00PM, maybe enough people had finished watching the first episode to clear out some of the "pipes" dedicated to that video.

Other than that, the experience has been "ok" for a new service.  Could be better, could be  worse. It's got a lot of content I'm so pumped to finally be able to watch again, but once my free week is up, I'll probably give the service until the new year before paying for it, hoping they'll iron out the hiccups. Regardless, it's a must-purchase streaming service for our house, especially if they maintain the price.

My limited experience so far is pretty good, decent interface.  However, my kiddo watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...and it seems every time I launch Disney+ I need to hunt that back down and then it tries to start back on S1E1...I feel like I'm missing something.

For the shows, do they not track your progress/where you left off?

3 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

My limited experience so far is pretty good, decent interface.  However, my kiddo watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...and it seems every time I launch Disney+ I need to hunt that back down and then it tries to start back on S1E1...I feel like I'm missing something.

For the shows, do they not track your progress/where you left off?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.  Seems like it's not saving any "profile" information.  There is a "+" sign by each movie/TV Show which I assume is adding it to a personal play list, but I've not seen where that affects anything.

Also, I too noticed that when it comes to show lists, yes, it always defaults to episode 1.  This is simply a really great a service, built on top of a rather crappy interface. I'm sure it'll get better with time, but for now, it's just growing pains all the way down.

Been watching The Mandalorian and thought I would note some neat trivia. Courtesy IMDB

First appearance of a toilet in a Star Wars production.

In the first episode the Mandalorian's bounty mentions trying to get home for "Life Day." Life Day was a central part of the plot for the much maligned Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978.

The Mandalorian's phase-pulse blaster is based on Boba Fett's rifle from The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978).

During the first episode, a Kowakian monkey lizard is briefly seen roasting on a spit. This is the same species as Salacious Crumb, who was with Jabba The Hut on his throne.

Practical models were used in multiple shots of the main protagonists vehicle, the Razorcrest. This is an obvious callback to the method used in the original Star Wars trilogy.

The series is a space spaghetti western with influences from Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy." One of the cast members, Brendan Wayne, is the grandson of legendary actor John Wayne, who was know for doing westerns.

Takes place six years before the birth of Rey.

Set approximately five years after Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Been watching The Mandalorian and thought I would note some neat trivia. Courtesy IMDB

First appearance of a toilet in a Star Wars production.

In the first episode the Mandalorian's bounty mentions trying to get home for "Life Day." Life Day was a central part of the plot for the much maligned Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978.

The Mandalorian's phase-pulse blaster is based on Boba Fett's rifle from The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978).

During the first episode, a Kowakian monkey lizard is briefly seen roasting on a spit. This is the same species as Salacious Crumb, who was with Jabba The Hut on his throne.

Practical models were used in multiple shots of the main protagonists vehicle, the Razorcrest. This is an obvious callback to the method used in the original Star Wars trilogy.

The series is a space spaghetti western with influences from Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy." One of the cast members, Brendan Wayne, is the grandson of legendary actor John Wayne, who was know for doing westerns.

Takes place six years before the birth of Rey.

Set approximately five years after Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983).

I heard the mention of Life Day and my wife and I just looked at each other... I couldn't believe they decided to make that little bit cannon.  It doesn't mean the whole Christmas Special is cannon, but apparently Life Day now is.