IGNORED

Disney Plus is Here!

doner24

I was surprised to find out both that The Black Cauldron and also the old Gummie Bears cartoon are on there.  I kind of figured a lot of the other things should be and are there, though still some other small eye opening scroll by moments checking to see what kind of back library they'd do.  Still those two stood out because of their childish buttoned lip behavior about the shunned Disney princess movie there, and for some bizarre reason they've had no interest in streaming or doing dvd sets of those bears like they did with the other stuff that came just after (duck tales, rescue rangers, talespin and darkwing duck.)

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@doner24 @RH @Darth Vader I'm stoked to see so many fans of Robin Hood. People are usually surprised when I tell them it's my favorite Disney movie (Pixar films seem to be dominant favorites for most).

I love the look of that whole era of Disney films, mostly because they started using Xerox machines to copy the animators' pencil drawings directly onto cels for coloring (rather than hand-inking). It was a cost-saving measure that wasn't well-received at the time, but I love how it preserves the life of the animator's drawings - and you can even catch some of the loose construction-lines and stuff if you watch closely. It definitely has a sketchier look, but I think it has much more appeal than clean-inked cels since the tracing process can kill the vitality of the animators' work sometimes.

-CasualCart

• Like 4

Might as well.  Here's a shorter list of my favorite Disney cartoons/semi-cartoon movies.  Loosely in order.

1. Robin Hood
  2. Sword and the Stone
  3. Peter Pan
  4. The Great Mouse Detective
  5. The Rescuers
  6. Pete's Dragon
  7. Bed Knobs & Broomsticks
  8. Mary Poppins
  9. The Jungle Book
  10. Fox and the Hound
  11. Alice in Wonderland
  12. 101 Dalmatians

And I liked most of the others from that earlier era, but I would have gravitated toward this list as a kid.  Around the mid-1980s, there was a shift in how these films were produced, so I could add the Lion King and Aladdin to the list, as well as The Rescuers Down Under, but they just don't feel like they belong in that list.

My Mom was the person who bought those Disney VHS tapes as soon as they were on the shelves, so I grew up on this stuff.  I never saw The Black Cauldron.  It actually came to VHS either before, or right when we got our first VHS player.  I seem to recall that many people didn't buy it, so when the VHS tapes took a "collectible" turn, many people didn't have it.  We also didn't have Sleeping Beauty but my Mom managed to find a bootleg copy at a Flea Market some time in the late-80s. True to myself, I was excited to finally get one we didn't own and as soon as I got in our car and looked at it, I could see all of the tell-tale details pointing out that it was fake.  I was the first to notice and I was probably 8 years old.

It's funny how nothing changes.  I remember the box art, at a glance, looking decent but at close inspection the images of the printing were a bit blurry... just like boot leg art today on video games.

2 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Watched some Ducktales last night. Weeeeeeee

I started to, after breaking the app in with Gummi Bears for my wife and I (and the kids), but got disappointed that there are episodes missing.  If you look at the episode list for season 1 (of the old school series, anyway), episodes 2, 3, and 4 are just not there.  I'm not sure if those were the original pilot broken up into episodes (which, if it's not, is also missing) or what, but that stopped me in my tracks right there until I can find some answers.  Overall thrilled with the experience and the availability, but got hit with some real disappointment at some of my childhood favorites being incomplete at launch with no explanation provided.

16 hours ago, Ausden said:

Watched The Black Cauldron yesterday on my day off. Forgot how great that movie was; reminds me of the Sword and the Stone.

Well said.  I remembered the movie second or third run in the 80s as a kid and it was a loss due to Disney stupidity for ages, then it popped up in the earlier DVD days and it went MIA for liek 20 years after the fact.  I was blown away about a decade ago or so when I found the DVD in really fantastic shape and I've kept it around all these years.  It has been a long time since i last watched it so saved it on disney plus, but I kind of want my eight year old to watch it but I can't seem to get her to focus on doing it so I may just have to let that plan go and watch it myself.

I'm just glad Disney is softening up a bit as that is a really good movie, and it's like the only lost disney princess there too.

• Like 1

I was surprised how much I enjoy the Disney +. My wife got it for the kids and it has a surprising amount of content and alot of cartoons I watched as a kid. Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Simpsons, Gummi Bears not to mention all the Star Wars and MCU movies. Plus the Mandalorian is really cool so far, really liked the IG costume and story so far.

It does seem like a pretty sweet platform, and I didn't put much thought into the fact that ESPN would have integration, but I'm probably one of the few here (or in my age group in general) that wasn't really huge on Disney growing up. I was like 95% a Nickelodeon kid and 5% a Disney kid. As a kid, for movies, I saw Fantasia, The Lion King, and Toy Story and that was about it. I liked Aladdin a lot. The stuff I did care about like Ducktales and Goof Troop I already have DVD sets for and honestly I've tried watching them in my 30s but they don't really hold my interest anymore. I also was really never into Marvel or superheroes in general growing up and as an adult have just never gotten into their whole universe of movies. Probably peaking with Space Jam, I always watched way more Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies in the 90s (probably because they also aired on Nickelodeon)

The main thing I really used to like to watch on Disney Channel in the 90s was all the Peanuts stuff. I remember I used to record vhs tapes of "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show"