IGNORED

US loose Game Gear set

MovieTom

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I just picked up a Sampras.  I thought I had a Mega Man for a good price, but that deal ended up falling through.  Anyway, I'm ready to dig into this one once I finish my loose GB set.

Congrats, man.  Looks awesome & inspiring!

It's a very fun set to collect for. I had so much luck going to all the game stores in my area and just making deals on all their GG games. Most had been sitting there for years. 

3 minutes ago, MovieTom said:

It's a very fun set to collect for. I had so much luck going to all the game stores in my area and just making deals on all their GG games. Most had been sitting there for years. 

I've actually done that.  I have 5 game shops in my area and I've hit them all up, but they have good turn over.  Vintage gaming is big in this area.  Surprisingly big.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Nicely done! I love the Game Gear. What's your favorite game in the library?

Hands down, I'd have to say Tails' Adventure. It's such a well made game. Think Metroidvania style game set in the world of Sonic. Some runner ups would be Vampire: Master of Darkness (basically Sega's Castlevania) and Tempo Jr is great looking little platformer. Also Coca Cola Kid is a good platformer as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieTom said:

Hands down, I'd have to say Tails' Adventure. It's such a well made game. Think Metroidvania style game set in the world of Sonic. Some runner ups would be Vampire: Master of Darkness (basically Sega's Castlevania) and Tempo Jr is great looking little platformer. Also Coca Cola Kid is a good platformer as well. 

Wow. Didn't expect Tails' Adventure or Tempo Jr. Great choices.

Have you had a chance to play Master of Darkness (SMS)? 

• Like 1

Awesome set Tom, congrats!   Good luck hunting down those last two.  I started dabbling in GG collecting after picking up one of the Behar Bros awesome consolized GameGear units a while back (I'm not much of a handheld gamer).  Prior to that I didn't pay much attention to it at all, so I'm having fun learning about it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VGCollectaholic said:

Awesome set Tom, congrats!   Good luck hunting down those last two.  I started dabbling in GG collecting after picking up one of the Behar Bros awesome consolized GameGear units a while back (I'm not much of a handheld gamer).  Prior to that I didn't pay much attention to it at all, so I'm having fun learning about it.

I'm going to need some more info on this.  I've been wanting something like that that's, all things considered, not priced at "an arm and a leg". I get that boutique hardware isn't cheap but Analogue's stuff is crazy (well, until they release their all-in-one handheld.)

14 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm going to need some more info on this.  I've been wanting something like that that's, all things considered, not priced at "an arm and a leg". I get that boutique hardware isn't cheap but Analogue's stuff is crazy (well, until they release their all-in-one handheld.)

The Behar Bros (the Turkish guys behind the Dreamcast Toro/Hanzo/etc boxes) built a consolized GameGear back in early 2017.  In May, 2017, they built a very small batch for sale - I got in on that initial order of them (I think they only accepted a couple dozen orders).  If I recall correctly, I think they ran about $290 shipped.  

Here's a video of it:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Looks great! I have an ok GG collection going; posts like this make me want to focus more on it. And whoa, I didn't know there were different-shaped GG carts, are those rumble carts?

No, those are Codemasters carts. For whatever reason they made these carts that to me have a bread shape to them. They are not easy to find.

48 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Nice job. I love the description of the Codemasters games as having a "bread shape". lol

I completed this set last year. Pete Sampras was a bitch and it took me a long time to find a good condition copy. Good luck!

Yeah, I just mentioned getting a copy. I had to settle for a copy from an international seller (in Europe) with a pinhole on the label, but the price was right.  Even shipped, probably 50% of the typical price.

7 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

I managed to find a European seller who had the US version Pete Sampras label and box for a reasonable price. Some of the ones released in Spain had the same label and box.

Would it be bad form to post a picture of my set in this thread?

Please do! I'd love to see it! I've been trying to keep an eye on european ebay to find the last 2. I had to order my CJ Elephant from the Ukraine. LOL!