IGNORED

Mario vs Zelda - who won each console?

Nintegageo

I think these are generally considered Nintendo's greatest franchises. Which one wins which console? Mainline games only and re-releases do not count. My choices..

NES - Mario. Easy!

SNES - Zelda. This was tough!

N64 - Mario. I can see why Zelda has the stronger argument, though I just really love Mario 64

Game Cube - Zelda. WW and Twilight certainly win against Sunshine.

Wii - Mario. Galaxy games were awesome! Those controls didn't help Zelda and I rather play their other versions which use traditional controls.

Wii U - Zelda. BotW is incredible.

Switch - Zelda. 

NES - Zelda. Easily. Yea Super Mario 3 is great but Zelda 1 & 2 as a sum trump all 3 Mario games. If you want to call SMB3 and the first Zelda a wash, Zelda II is better than Mario 1 & 2 combined.

SNES - Zelda. A Link to the Past easily trumps SMW and Yoshi's Island. 

N64 - Zelda. The Ocarina of Time alone beats Super Mario 64 (which is one of my most favorite games of all time). It doesn't even need Majora's Mask to do so. 

Gamecube - Zelda. Windwaker and Twilight Princess are both better than Super Mario Sunshine. 

Wii - Definitely Mario here. The Galaxy games rule and Skyward Sword wasn't really that great. It's pretty good but like OP said, those motion controls are not great.

Wii U - First tough one for me. If you're counting Breath of the Wild here, then Zelda wins. Seems unfair to let BotW easily take the win for both Wii U and Switch. If you leave it for Switch, then I think Mario wins here, with new Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World.

Switch - Easily Zelda. Mario Odyssey is another great Mario game. BotW is one of the best games ever made.

I would give Ocarina of Time a slight edge over Mario 64 so Zelda would my pick for the N64. I think Link to the Past over Super Mario World is a bit of an easier call for the SNES. The toughest one for me is the NES given that I like both Zelda games, but don't really care for SMB 2. I'd still have to give the edge to Mario since the original SMB is probably my favorite game of all time.

No handhelds?

NES - Mario. SMB3 is better than Zelda

SNES - Zelda. Lttp is about as perfect of a game as you’re going to get.

N64 - Zelda. OoT > Mario 64

Game Cube - Zelda. Windwaker is amazing. Never could get into sunshine.

Wii - Mario. If new super Mario bros counts then Mario. If only galaxy counts and twilight princess counts for Wii even though it’s also on GameCube, then Zelda.

Wii U - Zelda because BotW

Switch - Zelda. See above

• Like 1

NES: Mario
Gameboy: Super Mario land
Gameboy Color: zelda
SNES: Zelda
GBA: Zelda
Virtual Boy: Wario is a mario game
N64: Mario 64 wins.. but its close.
Gamecube: Windwaker beats Sunshine
DS: unpopular opinion I personally like Phantom Hourglass more than NewSMB)
Wii: Mario!!
WiiU: Mario
3ds: Mario
Switch: Zelda

NES: Mario. Easy choice since Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite Mario game, and probably my favorite game of all time.

SNES: Zelda. Even though I've played Super Mario World more than A Link to the Past, it honestly isn't my favorite Mario game or even my favorite SNES Mario game (Super Mario RPG is). And since we're not including spin-offs, I have to give LttP the edge.

N64: Mario. Ocarina of Time is great, but Super Mario 64 is more fun in my opinion and I can go back to it more often. 

GameCube - Zelda. Super Mario Sunshine is a good game and definitely underrated, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are tough competition. If we counted the Paper Mario games. though, I'd say Mario because PM: TTYD is my favorite game on the console. Despite what some have said, I think the GameCube version of Twilight Princess should count because it is the original version (the Wii version is a port). 

Wii: Mario. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my least favorite 3D Mario games (that's right, I place it below even Sunshine), but still say Mario because Twilight Princess is better on GameCube and Skyward Sword is better on Switch.

Switch: I haven't played Super Mario Odyssey much (even though it's been in my collection since 2017), so it's not really fair for me to choose either the Mario or Zelda Switch games yet. I'd like to beat more Mario games. Earlier this year I got all of the Shine Sprites in Mario Sunshine and beat New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land. I'd like to beat Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Galaxy, and 3D World + Bowser's Fury, THEN I'll focus on Odyssey and know if I prefer the Mario or Zelda Switch games. 

Edited by MegaMan52

NES: Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link are fantastic!
SNES: Link to the Past is one of the best Zelda games. Beats out Mario World.
N64: While I think both series have aged a lot on N64, the Zelda games hold up way better.
Game Cube: I think Mario Sunshine is great, and Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are boring.
Wii: Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 beat out Zelda. NSMB Wii is great too.
Wii U: I don't like Breath of the Wild, so Mario 3D World wins this one.
Switch: Considering the Switch hasn't yet had its own unique Zelda title, I think Mario wins by default.

GB: Link's Awakening is my favourite game in the series, and one of the finest GB games. Easy win.
GBC: I like Oracle of Ages more than Mario Golf, but I like Mario Tennis more than Oracle of Seasons. Still giving the vote to Zelda.
VB: Zelda didn't show up, so Mario wins.
GBA: There was no mainline Mario game for GBA, but I can't say Zelda was better. Minish Cap was really boring to me, where Mario Pinball Land, Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, and Mario Tennis Power Tour were all extremely good.
DS: I gave up on the DS Zelda games, but finished New Super Mario Bros. 100%.
3DS: I think Zelda is better on 3DS, but not because of A Link Between Worlds. Zelda Triforce Heroes was such a fun shot in the arm of Zelda's old silliness that I fell in love with the game.

Goofy Bonus Round!

Game and Watch: Zelda is better than Mario
CD-i: The Zelda games are genuinely better.
Nintendo Land Mini-Games: Zelda: Battle Quest is better than Mario Chase
Cartoons: Super Mario World cartoon is better than Zelda cartoon.

Edited by PekoponTAS
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@PekoponTAS Minish Cap was dope!

I will say I enjoyed Minish Cap more than a lot of the later ones. I think Minish Cap was the best of the less interesting Zelda games, and I do mean that in a much more positive light than it sounds. I don't think Minish Cap is bad, but just sort of average. It did have some sweet boss fights toward the end, and the game has really gorgeous sprite work. I remember liking the sky manta ray fight, and the final boss rush against Vaati. Also the Royal Crypt was a really cool and spooky throwback.

17 hours ago, PekoponTAS said:

While Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil are better than their general reputations (though still not stellar entries and those cut scenes are cringe as they come), Zelda's Adventure is pretty horrid. Hotel Mario isn't much of a Mario game, but it's an okay arcade style game. I'd give it to Zelda, but ZA is a pretty big handicap.

• Agree 1

NESi have LoZ as my favorite game ever, so it picks up the win here. ❤️ SMB3 though.
SNES: LttP barely edges out SMW. this is damn close though.
N64: i love OoT, but SM64 is iconic and gives Mario his first big win here.
GameCube: i wasn't a fan of Sunshine. i liked Luigi's Mansion enough, but still Twilight Princess seals it for the Zelda side
Wii: easy win for Mario Galaxy here. i thought SS was decent, but it's no contest.
Wii U: BotW > SM3DW & Super Luigi U
Switch: Odyssey & Luigi's Mansion 3 > any side Zelda games, so Team Mario all the way here. BotW2 will likely steal this round when it releases.

GB: SML2 was a staple of my childhood, but i also loved LA.  Mario. doubly so if you include DK '94
GBC: the Oracle games are pretty sweet, so they seal it for Zelda.
VB: Mario by default.
GBA:  Mario vs Donkey Kong is far and away the king.
DS: i haven't played a Zelda game on the DS because i hate the Windwaker art style. Therefore, Mario.
3DS:  i was extremely underwhelmed by LBW, so again i gotta side with Mario here. i liked the coins gimmick in NSB2. and Luigi's Mansion 2 was an improvement over the original.

Grand Total: 
Mario 8
Zelda 5

18 hours ago, PekoponTAS said:

Game and Watch: Zelda is better than Mario
Nintendo Land Mini-Games: Zelda: Battle Quest is better than Mario Chase
Cartoons: Super Mario World cartoon is better than Zelda cartoon.

i haven't played any of the CDi games, but otherwise i agree with all of these. also, the Zelda board game is better than the Mario board game.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, Makar said:

No handhelds?

NES - Mario. SMB3 is better than Zelda

SNES - Zelda. Lttp is about as perfect of a game as you’re going to get.

N64 - Zelda. OoT > Mario 64

Game Cube - Zelda. Windwaker is amazing. Never could get into sunshine.

Wii - Mario. If new super Mario bros counts then Mario. If only galaxy counts and twilight princess counts for Wii even though it’s also on GameCube, then Zelda.

Wii U - Zelda because BotW

Switch - Zelda. See above

👍

I'm biased. Zelda every time. It's neck and neck on NES, though. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:53 AM, Tulpa said:

I'd give it to Zelda, but ZA is a pretty big handicap.

Hmm, I thought of this as the best from each for every gen. Aggregate score is an interesting way of considering it.

You'll quickly notice I'm very well ignoring re-releases/re-masters, unfair advantage.  No Allstars or DX on GBC, No WW/TP HD on U, you get the idea. 🙂

Console

NES - Mario - SMB3 sells it, though Zelda is no slouch, it hasn't aged as well
SNES - TIE, both are equally ground breaking expansions of their best efforts on NES (SMB3 vs LoZ)
N64 - Mario - Mario 64, Ocarina needs re-evaluation not best of all time, hasn't aged as well, less approachable, MM sucks
GCN - Zelda - Wind Waker stunning game and pretty ageless with the art style, TP and 4 Swords Adventures
Wii - Mario - Galaxy is insane, Zelda had ...broken control TP dual release, Skyward Sword and a zapper game wooo
WiiU - Mario, only due to how amazing New SMB U was, reverting to Mario World style handling was great

VB - Mario - Mario Clash is great, but no Zelda, default victory there.  If Wario Land is fair game, that even more.
Switch - Zelda - BOTW nails this as should the sequel, Odyssey is great but gets long in the tooth, too moon happy

Handheld
GB - Mario - Both Land 1 and 2 really sell it, 1 easy to just blow an hour 2 for the amazing game it just is
GBC - Zelda - Link's Awakening DX enough said, though Oracles people love too
GBA - Zelda - Mario had nothing really but spinoffs, Zelda had Minish Cap (and 4 Swords)
DS - Mario - NewSMB was good, Zelda broken abysmal touch control wrecked the Zelda titles
3DS - Mario - NewSMB2 even better, Link to the Past sequel was just not fun, got bored/tired of it.

The screwball stuff...
G&W - Mario - Hands down SMB is great, Mario & Luigi Mario Cement Factory etc, Zelda is rough, good but not greater
CDi - Zelda - Link Faces of Evil is great, f the haters, Hotel Mario is a good elevator action clone but not as good
Wristwatch(Nelsonic) - Zelda - NES game dungeons far better than G&W, Mario 3 on there isn't so good, boring really.

Mario - 10
Zelda - 7
** I put 1pt on both for that SNES tie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

guy-confused.jpg

I meant Super Mario Bros DX(Deluxe) figures I thought and didn't type that out, it's just a port.  Link's Awakening DX is an oddity, there's more game, fixes, including a fatal progression stopper bug so I don't even consider the GB game a valid release since I had one of those broken carts.