IGNORED

NASCAR driver uses video game technique to advance to champs..

Andy_Bogomil

Ross Chastain increased his speed and 'rode the wall' through the last turn to pass 4 or 5 people to just qualify for another race. I don't follow NASCAR, but I'm guessing this is relatively unprecedented and in the post-race interview he quotes that he used to do it on NASCAR 2005 for the Gamecube back in the day. Pretty hilarious.

The interview (the clip of the pass is also early in the video):

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Ross Chastain increased his speed and 'rode the wall' through the last turn to pass 4 or 5 people to just qualify for another race. I don't follow NASCAR, but I'm guessing this is relatively unprecedented and in the post-race interview he quotes that he used to do it on NASCAR 2005 for the Gamecube back in the day. Pretty hilarious.

The interview (the clip of the pass is also early in the video):

That kind of move can definitely work (and has before), but unlike video gams, in real life that move only works once per race.  

• Agree 1

I’ve been watching nascar with my dad since the late 80’s. Imo this is the greatest move I have ever seen. Earnhardt’s “pass in the grass”, “one hot night”, the darlington finish with Kurt bush and Ricky craven…. This one takes the cake. 

@Richardhead this dude needs a wheelbarrow to carry those nuts! 

@TDIRunner he only needed it to work through turns 3,4 on the last lap. Needed to pass two cars to get into the final four. Dude floored it coming out of two and sent it fully into the wall of 3/4. Dude is a legend. Also it’s not gonna work at every track. martinsville and maybe New Hampshire. Most everywhere else another car will be in that groove or you would just be in the wall way to long through 3/4 tearing the car up before it makes it through to the finish line.

lots of crybaby drivers saying “we don’t need this to happen every week” and “it’s a bad look for the sport”. Drivers/people asking for a rule against it. Imo if you got the nuts to go for it like that, hell ya. Fact is he did what it took and whether the others want to admit it or not they wouldn’t have tried it regardless. 

check out the in car/radio communication.
chastain: “Need two?”

crew: “ya gotta get um”

chastain: “hold my beer”

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Once the barriers receive an impact, do they have to be replaced? Since this was intentional, would the team be fined for the replacement cost?

The walls get beat up due to international moves by the drivers all the time. I’ve never heard of any of them getting fined for it.

They would have to start fining a team when there driver intentionally sends it to hard into the corner, causing his car to slide up into the upper lane, forcing the outside car into the wall.

I wanted to post about this.

I read an article on this first before I watched the video.  I nearly died laughing when I saw the video because YES, this does look like some video game action that "no one in their right mind" would try in real life.

And it just goes to show that even with a game "simulation" from 2005, when you have no fear of getting hurt or penalized or damaging million-dollar equipment, you can innovate much more easily beyond what everyone would think of under normal circumstances.

@docile tapeworm I have to agree, this is the greatest moment in NASCAR I've ever seen.  I may not be into it, but part of the reason why is because it's way more watered down than it use to be.  Crazy stuff like this could actually make me interested in the sport.  Maybe not every race but people need to take risky/dangerous chance and there needs to be way more variability added to the sport.

Riding the wall is one of many video game techniques that typically would not work in real life.  The next step will be to dive into a corner and rear end someone in front of you to push them off the coarse while you continue in the racing line.  It works in video games that don't use damage.  Obviously in real life it would wreck your car, but maybe, it could work on the last turn of the last lap of a race.  The old "bump and run" but on steroids.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Riding the wall is one of many video game techniques that typically would not work in real life.  The next step will be to dive into a corner and rear end someone in front of you to push them off the coarse while you continue in the racing line.  It works in video games that don't use damage.  Obviously in real life it would wreck your car, but maybe, it could work on the last turn of the last lap of a race.  The old "bump and run" but on steroids.  

Now we just need some crazy, Trackmania style stunts.

16 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Also have to make sure nothing is sticking out from the wall.   Ross mentioned being concerned there might be a gate or something that would hook his car.

16 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH it made me laugh as well. First off it looks funny like the car is in fast forward. Second the level of commitment to sending that thing in there full throttle goes passed absurd to laughable 😂

We need to add the noise from RC Pro-Am where the computer car would cheat and fly past everybody

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Riding the wall is one of many video game techniques that typically would not work in real life….. but maybe, it could work on the last turn of the last lap of a race.  The old "bump and run" but on steroids.  

Uuuhhhh huh huh…. Did this guy not watch the video? …. Huh huh… it worked beavis. 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Also have to make sure nothing is sticking out from the wall.   Ross mentioned being concerned there might be a gate or something that would hook his car.

Have you ever seen that video of Michael Waltrip catching a gate at Bristol?  It's one of the nastiest crashes I've ever seen.

Spoiler

His interview is very typical Michael Waltrip (a good thing).

Edited by TDIRunner

You know I could've sworn I remember a movie scene (mid-to-late 90s or so) that showed a couple of NASCAR drivers racing each other in an arcade NASCAR game (the kind that has the car looking shell so it's like you're climbing into a car) and they are playing it just as if it were the real deal (if you get what I mean)!  Now if only guitar playing skills were like that... 😄 

Edited by Estil

33 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Have you ever seen that video of Michael Waltrip catching a gate at Bristol?  It's one of the nastiest crashes I've ever seen.

Hide contents

I had not.  That's about as bad as Geoff Bodine's Daytona truck crash:

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I had not.  That's about as bad as Geoff Bodine's Daytona truck crash:

I remember both of these. Darrell about to cry. Loves his baby brother. What a mixed day for him when Mikey won Daytona that day. That bodine truck crash was scary.

rusty had a couple too. One at daytona and one at talladega.

Petty caught the fence once too.

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Looks like we got some old nascar heads in here. I wonder what a formula 1 fan thinks of this 😂@BeaIank

I'm actually a fan of both.  

This video has nothing to do with anything.  I'm just posting it because I love the fact that, despite BOTH front wheels being gone, the driver still tries to turn into the skid.  Can't break those instincts.  

Ugh.  Looks like you will have to go to YouTube to watch it.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 11/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, TDIRunner said:

Reveal hidden contents

Same principle is why the guardrails leading up to bridges get beefed up to prevent a car/truck from "catch" the concrete barrier.  FYI standard guard rail is expected to deflect up to 6 feet with a highway speed crash at like 30 degree angle.  

• Like 1