IGNORED

NASCAR driver uses video game technique to advance to champs..

Andy_Bogomil

11 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Same principle is why the guardrails leading up to bridges get beefed up to prevent a car/truck from "catch" the concrete barrier.  FYI standard guard rail is expected to deflect up to 6 feet with a highway speed crash at like 30 degree angle.  

The video I posted was pretty old and a lot has changed in NASCAR since then.  You can see from the video they had almost no protection by the gate and that type of accident was going to happen eventually.  Unfortunately, people have to get hurt or die before major changes are made.  NASCAR pit crews were wearing baseball caps when they went over the pit wall as recently as 2002.  It took a crew member getting hit by a car and going headfirst into the concrete wall before they mandated helmets for pit crews.  

Social Team · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

The video I posted was pretty old and a lot has changed in NASCAR since then.  You can see from the video they had almost no protection by the gate and that type of accident was going to happen eventually.  Unfortunately, people have to get hurt or die before major changes are made.  NASCAR pit crews were wearing baseball caps when they went over the pit wall as recently as 2002.  It took a crew member getting hit by a car and going headfirst into the concrete wall before they mandated helmets for pit crews.  

This is the law of everything.  I've watch some safety videos from 70's on doing roadway maintenance it's fucking hilarious.  To watch a safety video saying something like.  "Remember you  need to place a least 5 road cones (2 foot tall kind) leading up to you closing a lane of traffic to patch that pot hole.  Also don't forget to wear the 'safety' vest."  Today you'll need about 20+ construction barrels, vehicle with a crash barrier to block any vehicle strikes, gloves that cover your forearms, face shield, safety boots, high visibility safety vest that has reflectivity that can be ripped off with less than 20lbs of force.  My favorite thing is seeing workers smoking while doing work in the safety videos.  

Old timers told me that back in the day the construction barrels where steel and when a car hit one you didn't look for where the car is but where the barrel is going because those fuckers could fuck you up.  It's WILD to think what safety was like just one generation ago.  If you've never seen the driver education videos form the 60's then you may not understand how fucking dangerous it was to drive before the industry as a whole changed.  I'll put one of those videos in the spoiler below.

Warning!  Video contains multiple deaths (actual dead bodies or people right before they die) and somehow not a YouTube TOS violation.  Seriously, this is fucked that they showed this to kids learning to drive.  NSFW!!

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...