IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - GODZILLA!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've played DK to the kill screen and beaten Rampage, but that was years ago. At 41, with degenerative arthritis in both knees and a herniated disc in my lower back, I can't even sit comfortably long enough to do those things now.

I knew a chiropractor once upon a time who had, as he put it: "old football player knees", = big guy who takes small steps.  He eventually had a surgery where they take collagen straight from the comb on a rooster's head and inject it in there somehow or other.  He seemed pretty happy about it after.

Here's my entry, and this game is clearly not for me, lol!  First time ever bothering to play it (beyond checking to see if my cart worked or not back when I bought it), and it was absolutely not what I was expecting!  I really liked the graphics, and the music was ok, but I just didn't have any fun constantly getting bombarded no matter what I did, with the sole real goal seeming to be to keep popping out and grabbing the healing modules as quickly as possible.  I could be missing something, but to me it seemed more like trying to doggy paddle in the middle of a storm than anything, lol!

Does anyone know if there's some sort of compatibility issue with this game and the NES Everdrive?  When I attempted to play it on my Everdrive N8, I kept getting a sort of glitchy flickering from the first moment graphics appeared, which only worsened when I attempted to play the game.  Fortunately, I also have a Powerpak, and the exact same file from my Everdrive's SD card played perfectly nicely on it, so I'm not really sure what's going on with that, unless there's some sort of known incompatibility that I wasn't familiar with.

spacer.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Here's my entry, and this game is clearly not for me, lol!  First time ever bothering to play it (beyond checking to see if my cart worked or not back when I bought it), and it was absolutely not what I was expecting!  I really liked the graphics, and the music was ok, but I just didn't have any fun constantly getting bombarded no matter what I did, with the sole real goal seeming to be to keep popping out and grabbing the healing modules as quickly as possible.  I could be missing something, but to me it seemed more like trying to doggy paddle in the middle of a storm than anything, lol!

Does anyone know if there's some sort of compatibility issue with this game and the NES Everdrive?  When I attempted to play it on my Everdrive N8, I kept getting a sort of glitchy flickering from the first moment graphics appeared, which only worsened when I attempted to play the game.  Fortunately, I also have a Powerpak, and the exact same file from my Everdrive's SD card played perfectly nicely on it, so I'm not really sure what's going on with that, unless there's some sort of known incompatibility that I wasn't familiar with.

I have an Everdrive N8 and it worked fine on mine. I've had that issue before with other games and I had to format my SD card and reload my ROMs on to it. Everything worked fine after that.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have an Everdrive N8 and it worked fine on mine. I've had that issue before with other games and I had to format my SD card and reload my ROMs on to it. Everything worked fine after that.

I tried copying the same game to a different part of the SD card and then running that one, but with the same result.  I figured if it were a matter of the file being fragmented (as every other game I picked ran just fine), that would resolve the issue, but it didn't.  It's been a while, but if I get a chance later tonight, I'll try nuking it and starting over to see if that does anything.  Sadly, I'm fearful that it might be some issue with the newer firmware that I'm running, as the newest (v1.26) actually introduced the issue onto my N8 that it was documented to resolve, so I rolled it back to the previous one (v1.25) to fix that.  Fingers crossed I don't have to keep rolling back the clock to guarantee compatibility with everything all at once (or having to flip back and forth between different firmwares depending on what I'm wanting to play).

11 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I tried copying the same game to a different part of the SD card and then running that one, but with the same result.  I figured if it were a matter of the file being fragmented (as every other game I picked ran just fine), that would resolve the issue, but it didn't.  It's been a while, but if I get a chance later tonight, I'll try nuking it and starting over to see if that does anything.  Sadly, I'm fearful that it might be some issue with the newer firmware that I'm running, as the newest (v1.26) actually introduced the issue onto my N8 that it was documented to resolve, so I rolled it back to the previous one (v1.25) to fix that.  Fingers crossed I don't have to keep rolling back the clock to guarantee compatibility with everything all at once (or having to flip back and forth between different firmwares depending on what I'm wanting to play).

I had the opposite problem. On the older firmware, some games would either boot up scrambled or with a solid gray screen. When I updated it to the latest firmware I formatted the SD card, then reinstalled everything and I haven't had an issue since.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 10/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, PII said:

I knew a chiropractor once upon a time who had, as he put it: "old football player knees", = big guy who takes small steps.  He eventually had a surgery where they take collagen straight from the comb on a rooster's head and inject it in there somehow or other.  He seemed pretty happy about it after.

I remember being at an orthopedic doctor and seeing an advertisement where they had some kind of synthetic cartilage that they could inject into your knees, but I have no idea what it was made of.

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@docile tapeworm  So are these!!!  😛

2 Shooters.JPG

Lol I knew you would! Dragon fighter is not a shooter! my zombie is missing the manual and 3 of four sides of the box (it only has the spine left as it was cut for a rental case). I was holding this in my pocket cause I knew you were gone reply with heavies….fresh mail day. Supposedly come from an original owner. Cart was “never pulled out of the baggie”.

A72B8D4F-A408-4B3F-8FCD-49B2EAAF4D49.jpeg

6A2581E8-9C5D-4825-A0DE-4F80D1BED512.jpeg

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 4

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I also found a minty one and it was quite the steal. That cart sat on my shelf for years and I thought it was a bottom of the barrel game. It is absolutely incredible. 

Ya I remember playing it at a friends when I was around 6-7 years old. Always was around after that. It’s nice to see it get some appreciation. It’s a great game. Nice score on the AI as well!

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Thanks 1