IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - GODZILLA!

BeaIank

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol I knew you would! Dragon fighter is not a shooter! my zombie is missing the manual and 3 of four sides of the box (it only has the spine left as it was cut for a rental case). I was holding this in my pocket cause I knew you were gone reply with heavies….fresh mail day. Supposedly come from an original owner. Cart was “never pulled out of the baggie”.

A72B8D4F-A408-4B3F-8FCD-49B2EAAF4D49.jpeg

6A2581E8-9C5D-4825-A0DE-4F80D1BED512.jpeg

Wow, nice one Skinny!

581113.jpg?b64lines=IExPT0sgQVQgVEhBVCBD

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol I knew you would! Dragon fighter is not a shooter! my zombie is missing the manual and 3 of four sides of the box (it only has the spine left as it was cut for a rental case). I was holding this in my pocket cause I knew you were gone reply with heavies….fresh mail day. Supposedly come from an original owner. Cart was “never pulled out of the baggie”.

A72B8D4F-A408-4B3F-8FCD-49B2EAAF4D49.jpeg

6A2581E8-9C5D-4825-A0DE-4F80D1BED512.jpeg

Damn, son!  That Sqoon box looks nicer than mine!  Mine has edge wear on the top of the box where the flap is inserted, but otherwise is pretty minty.

But the real question is: how much did this set you back... 🤔

Oh, and as for Dragon Fighter, it plays like a shooter when you change into the dragon, but I guess a case could be made either way.  I only chose that one because I went to pricecharting.com and sorted NES by value and these were the two most expensive "shooters" I saw that weren't in my last picture.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:44 PM, NESfiend said:

That cart sat on my shelf for years and I thought it was a bottom of the barrel game. It is absolutely incredible. 

Dude….your on your way to nes savant status. Backing me up with captain Skyhawk and realizing the greatness of cobra triangle…. I love it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dude….your on your way to nes savant status. Backing me up with captain Skyhawk and realizing the greatness of cobra triangle…. I love it.

Always loved skyhawk but most of the fringe stuff like cobra triangle, all credits to @BeaIank and @guillavoie. Their contest picks are incredible. And its a lot of stuff you need to give a second or third look before you find the greatness. They do a great job. Most nights that I'm not playing current contest game, Im playing 3 or 4 from past contests. 

Skinny, this was the nicest compliment. The timing of that is a real shame with us about to face off in a high stakes fantasy football matchup in the nes cart league. My team has turned a corner. Now I will feel bad beating you. And Finley in your team name doesnt help either. Feels like Im taking nes carts off your childrens plates

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Always loved skyhawk but most of the fringe stuff like cobra triangle, all credits to @BeaIank and @guillavoie. Their contest picks are incredible. And its a lot of stuff you need to give a second or third look before you find the greatness. They do a great job. Most nights that I'm not playing current contest game, Im playing 3 or 4 from past contests. 

Skinny, this was the nicest compliment. The timing of that is a real shame with us about to face off in a high stakes fantasy football matchup in the nes cart league. My team has turned a corner. Now I will feel bad beating you. And Finley in your team name doesnt help either. Feels like Im taking nes carts off your childrens plates

No doubt @BeaIank and @guillavoie are incredible.

dude you picked up algier off the wire too. I started him twice and he burned me. But atl run game is nice. Ah don’t feel bad! My squad can hold there own! Besides your going down! Finley said so 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What about games with shooter levels that are not entirely shooters?  Are Guardian Legend and similar such games on your list?

I count TGL only because you can use the password to play only the shooter stages. Games like xexyz I don’t count. And people out here trying to say back to the future and dk3 are shooters…..

On 10/26/2022 at 10:55 PM, docile tapeworm said:

I count TGL only because you can use the password to play only the shooter stages. Games like xexyz I don’t count. And people out here trying to say back to the future and dk3 are shooters…..

I wouldn't call DK 3 a shooter either, but I can kinda see it now that you mentioned it.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

What about games with shooter levels that are not entirely shooters?  Are Guardian Legend and similar such games on your list?

What about Contra or other run and gun type games? I've always considered them to be more of a platformer, but I've also known of people to call them shooters.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wouldn't call DK 3 a shooter either, but I can kinda see it now that you mentioned it.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What about Contra or other run and gun type games? I've always considered them to be more of a platformer, but I've also known of people to call them shooters.

These are the same people that call dk3 a shooter. There all inbreed is my guess.

look are the play mechanics of dk3 that of a shooter, yes. But it’s not a shooter it’s a guy with a can of bug spray blowing it up an apes ass. There’s no space ship, no lasers, no aliens, no missiles, no bombs….

8 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

These are the same people that call dk3 a shooter. There all inbreed is my guess.

look are the play mechanics of dk3 that of a shooter, yes. But it’s not a shooter it’s a guy with a can of bug spray blowing it up an apes ass. There’s no space ship, no lasers, no aliens, no missiles, no bombs….

DK and DK Jr are classics, but DK 3 isn't even fun.

18 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I think the issue one runs into here is that genre designation is not as black and white as to be completely convenient, particularly when selecting a bunch of each.  They tend to overlap.  Contra I call a run-n-gun.  Shooter is a very general term and someone might consider run-n-gun to be a sub-genre of shooter but hybrid would be more accurate; although I think run-n-gun is distinct enough to justify it not being lumped in with hybrids like Xexys, Guardian legend and Destination Earthstar.  It's a blending of genre not a combo.  Is Gunsmoke not a shooter? Space stuff is a very common element, but I don't think any of it is necessary to classify something as a shooter.  What about Dino Riki?  Is it a shooter, or a vertical scrolling run-n-gun?  Gyruss is a shooter, so what about smash TV?  It plays like a real loosey-goosey gyruss where the character's strafing tends toward circular, so is it an action game or a shooter?  And the more one tries to nail down definitions the more slippery it gets.  Let's call vertical/horizontal scrolling shooters, "classic space shooters."  Then what are games like galaga/galaxian?  Are they not also classic, in space and primarily defined by shooting?  So, "classic ARCADE space shooter" then?  I probably wouldn't refer to DK3 as a shooter either but if galaga/galaxian are shooters then so is DK3.  And if DK3 is to be denied shooter status, then so must galaga/galaxian.  So the guy trying to square everything away is caught between a rock and a hard place.

(Dammit, now I've got a little itch to come up with a "Theory Of Everything.")

For the record, I think of BTTF as a shooter.  Granted it may not be defined primarily, first and foremost by the act of shooting eg. Marty has to find his "shooting device" and is capable of loosing it, but shooting is still there, the whole game including the boss/bonus levels until the DeLorean run at the end which still requires the dodging of lots of shots.  (The 2nd and 3rd boss/bonus inversion of having to catch the shots) and generally the rest of the game seems consistent with elements of a scrolling shooter...

Anyway, this is always an interesting topic....

addendum:

Xexys = Platform Action w/Shooter

Guardian Legend = Overhead Action RPG w/Shooter

Destination Earthstar = First Person Shooter w/3rd Person Shooter

@docile tapeworm Oh, and I know you hate it, so I did not use the term that shall not be mentioned in thine presence. 😉 

-Totally unrelated idea for a home brewer: How about a Classic Vertical/Horizontal Scrolling Space Shooter starring everyone's favorite Space-Faring Worm as the Hero who must blast to smithereens a horrible barrage of ships and lasers all emblazoned with the horrible "SHMU- word."  Also, maybe he could have to catch certain special shots between his large pointy teeth.  The final boss would be a guy with a widow's peak, bionic eyes, hollow cheeks, a pointy goatee and be dressed in a yellow/green star trek uniform; and an absolute beast to defeat.  If the game is beaten our Hero recovers his magical tiara!

In case there is any doubt about the above paragraph, I am completely serious.

CALLING ALL HOME BREWERS!!!

@PII I concur that dk3 play elements are like Galaga/space invaders. I believe technically it would be classify it as a shooter……but I’m not gonna be the guy pushing his glasses up his nose talking about “uuuuhhhh technically dk3 is a shooter”. Nah. Same for bttf. I’ll give it to Dino rikki because it scrolls and has enemies in waves/payterns. Gunsmoke same deal it’s a shooter. Space elements aren’t what make a shooter but a guy blowing a can of bug spray up an apes ass, or throwing bowling balls at bees….nah.

• The topic was unpinned