IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - GODZILLA!

BeaIank

15 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Manipulating tons of enemy off screen, manipulating them to kill themselves in the stage hazards and taking it very, very slowly. It wasn't fun. Playing for highscore isn't fun either because it is all about spamming the same high scoring attack.

You will be timing your runs.

Playing for high score is fun. Trying to manipulate the enemies not to blow themselves up is a challenge so there's more to it than just using the cyclone kick. I'm just not a fan of the speedrun thing. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I wouldn't mind if DD2 uses the same rules as Castlevania. One life + progress + fastest time. And we can still take a picture rather than post a video.

Trying to actually speedrun DD2 involves spamming flying knees (not that easy to do consistently) and not being able to take your time in the platforming sections. Kind of brutal.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I wouldn't mind if DD2 uses the same rules as Castlevania. One life + progress + fastest time. And we can still take a picture rather than post a video.

That's exactly how it will run.
And I will also accept a timer screenshot along with your game completion screenshot as a proof of time. Video will be preferable, but we will work this way.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Trying to actually speedrun DD2 involves spamming flying knees (not that easy to do consistently) and not being able to take your time in the platforming sections. Kind of brutal.

It would probably be the quickest and easiest just to uppercut your way through the game, but that's just a guess since I haven't tried to do a speed run before.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

25 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It would probably be the quickest and easiest just to uppercut your way through the game, but that's just a guess since I haven't tried to do a speed run before.

The hyper knee move (also referred to as "high jump kick" in the manual) is the strongest attack so always used by speedrunners. The problem is the timing is hard. The uppercut is a bit easier but doesn't kill enemies as quickly.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The hyper knee move (also referred to as "high jump kick" in the manual) is the strongest attack so always used by speedrunners. The problem is the timing is hard. The uppercut is a bit easier but doesn't kill enemies as quickly.

I don't use the knee at all. If I'm playing for score, I obviously use the spin kick. If I'm just playing for fun I usually use the upper cut because it is so easy to pull off. I know that the knee is stronger, but I'm not sure if it's that much different than the uppercut where it would make much of a difference damage wise.

GAME COMPLETE       LEVEL 16       SCORE: 9,840,100      (Final score pic at very end + pic of Ghidora eatin' it.) 

[obsolete]       Mars Level  3       1,255,190       (Died right at the end of Mars and then took this shot as soon as I spawned on Jupiter....)

@BeaIank Should we post Godzilla's and Mothra's combined level or just whichever one is higher?

Edited by PII

I had to switch monitors because the screen frame on my usual obscures the level number.  I went next to the white monitor I have hooked up to a Retron and discovered that Godzilla will not work in a Retron #1.  First time that's ever happened for me with a standard NES game.  So I moved on to this Samsung...

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, PII said:

@BeaIank Should we post Godzilla's and Mothra's combined level or just whichever one is higher?

Whichever died first, so do your best to get the highest level monster to die first.

And you can pause the game while the death animation is playing to take your picture.

On 10/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, mbd39 said:

I wish it was just a regular high score contest. I just can't get into the speedrun thing. I timed myself yesterday and I was right at 20 minutes which is far from ideal.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

39 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Wow! Great job!!

Thanks, I've always kinda had a thing for this one in spite of its being a massive slog and have always hit the power button long before finishing.  Back in the hey-day I used to watch a friend play this a lot and something about those massive monster sprites and the exotic ring fields really got me.  It's like playing Rampage in some alternate dimension.  

13 minutes ago, PII said:

It's like playing Rampage in some alternate dimension.  

Almost a perfect description of NES Godzilla, right there.  I would just add one word:

It's like playing a scrolling Rampage in some alternate dimension.  Like, if Rampage had scrolling and was set in outer space, it would essentially be this game...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PII said:

Thanks, I've always kinda had a thing for this one in spite of its being a massive slog and have always hit the power button long before finishing.  Back in the hey-day I used to watch a friend play this a lot and something about those massive monster sprites and the exotic ring fields really got me.  It's like playing Rampage in some alternate dimension.  

How long did it take you to clear the game? I looked up a longplay video a few weeks back to check the game out and it seems like it was around 3 hours long.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

How long did it take you to clear the game? I looked up a longplay video a few weeks back to check the game out and it seems like it was around 3 hours long.

Yeah, I've seen some 3.5 and 4 hour runs on YT as well.  I actually slogged through this game twice.  On Monday I played through, sacrificing one of the 2 monsters on each ring field which speeds things up somewhat.  I was about halfway through when I had a look at the rules again... Regardless, I decided to finish if I could and it took me around 5 hours finishing with just under 6 million points.  My second run, keeping both Godzilla and Mothra alive the whole time took me over 7 hours with a couple of short breaks.  And that was after a couple of failed starts that ended early in each run because I was asleep at the switch when I needed to be watching like a hawk.  Each of those was another hour, so total time spent on Godzilla this week is something like 14 hours.

2 hours ago, PII said:

Yeah, I've seen some 3.5 and 4 hour runs on YT as well.  I actually slogged through this game twice.  On Monday I played through, sacrificing one of the 2 monsters on each ring field which speeds things up somewhat.  I was about halfway through when I had a look at the rules again... Regardless, I decided to finish if I could and it took me around 5 hours finishing with just under 6 million points.  My second run, keeping both Godzilla and Mothra alive the whole time took me over 7 hours with a couple of short breaks.  And that was after a couple of failed starts that ended early in each run because I was asleep at the switch when I needed to be watching like a hawk.  Each of those was another hour, so total time spent on Godzilla this week is something like 14 hours.

I don't have that kind of energy these days. I think the last time I put that much time into a contest game was the last time we played Mario Bros and it took me over 5 hours to roll the score. I'm sure that you have the win locked up this week. You deserve it after all of that!

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't have that kind of energy these days. I think the last time I put that much time into a contest game was the last time we played Mario Bros and it took me over 5 hours to roll the score. I'm sure that you have the win locked up this week. You deserve it after all of that!

Well, I know you've also played Donkey Kong to the kill screen and slogged through Rampage so I'm certain the potential is in you somewhere, but I can understand just the same.  It was a remarkably rough and tedious experience.  Not so much hard in the long run, as hard on the chops.  Otherwise a good game though that stands out in every other respect.  The soundtrack is fantastic and in spite of the tedious repetition it is pretty fun to be Godzilla layin' the smack down.

2 hours ago, PII said:

Well, I know you've also played Donkey Kong to the kill screen and slogged through Rampage so I'm certain the potential is in you somewhere, but I can understand just the same.  It was a remarkably rough and tedious experience.  Not so much hard in the long run, as hard on the chops.  Otherwise a good game though that stands out in every other respect.  The soundtrack is fantastic and in spite of the tedious repetition it is pretty fun to be Godzilla layin' the smack down.

I've played DK to the kill screen and beaten Rampage, but that was years ago. At 41, with degenerative arthritis in both knees and a herniated disc in my lower back, I can't even sit comfortably long enough to do those things now.