IGNORED

Early Box Design for Legend of Zelda and Punch-Out NES (CES Flyer)

• The title was changed to Early Box Design for Legend of Zelda and Punch-OutNES (CES Flyer)
  • The title was changed to Early Box Design for Legend of Zelda and Punch-Out NES (CES Flyer)

They're different and fun.  Taking a moment to just remove the image we all have had decades now of Tyson on the box, had they stuck to the black or silver box at the point of it hitting the stores I think having the scared sorry looking Glass Joe on the front works very well for Punchout.

Zelda, ehh, weird smile or not it just doesn't feel right.  That feels straight up more like beta work as Link isn't right, the enemies aren't, and some of that background doesn't even exist in the game which bucks the trend of others that do have matching art even if a little embellished.

@fcgamer  I agree though Zelda is close, they just overdid it with the font, not what's actually inside the sprite art box, that's spot on.

Punchout though is a bit too busy and also in ways too plain.  Nintendo didn't really so much do action shots but a memorable snapshot or pose, if it were a moving snapshot you get streaks like SMB's art with the speed lines.  The art Nintendo mocked up seems more reasonable than what's here, but if it were an action shot I still think Joe would be there mugging for the camera with one of his weak swings with Mac dodging to the side lining up for a beat down.  The font is also off on that one too so it feels weird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

It's worth pointing out that Pit has the same weird smile on the cover of Kid Icarus. We might have been used to the Zelda one by now had it come out that way. Seeing it now is obviously jarring though. 🙂

1525836410_KidIcarusSmirk.png.cfa9e0a0e65f5bbea60a5550f8b89e04.png

As a fan of the game and as someone who owns this CIB, I'm a fan of everything about the box except the picture. I like the grey and pink, the font, hell even the back of the box. But that picture w pit smiling like a goofball and those enemies thrown in there really look bad to me. 

I like a lot of the black box style are but the ones that miss, realllyyy miss. This is one of the misses for me. 

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I just want to know who thought Glass Joe had the screen presence to be a leading man. Give me Hippo or give me death!

As someone who has loved the Punch Out series for a long time, I can comfortably say that Great Tiger is the hottest dude in the series. He's really great in the Wii game in particular. 🤩

1141240050_GreatTiger.png.f2a70435b09523f33744dc9badf94053.png

• Like 1