IGNORED

What are some must play Famicom games?

Bearcat-Doug

I'm trying to explore the Famicom library and I'm looking for some suggestions of good games that don't require being able to read Japanese. So far I've got SMB 2, Vs. Excitebike, Devil World, Kid Dracula, Splatterhouse and Gradius II to name a few. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Cocoron. It is a pretty gimmicky game, but I like it. It plays like Megaman, and was made by the creator of Megaman, Akira Kitamura. You create your own character which affects how they play (ex: you can give them the ability to hover in exchange for speed and HP, and can give them a variety of weapons). You can select levels, but the way the game works is that each level connect into each other. If you start in the Castle and then decide to go to Star Hill the level will be different than if you started in the forest and then decided to play the Star Hill level. It was released by Takeru, who are better known for their game Little Samson. It had a remake planned for the PC Engine, but that never got released

Edited by Ankos
Added info on game
  • Agree 1

I know people know I keep a HTML inventory, this is the stuff I currently have for FC and would recommend it to start.

- Akumajou Densetsu
- Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun
- Armadillo
- Crisis Force (CI)
- FC Genjin - Freakthoropus Computerus
- Final Lap
- Ganbare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu (English Patched)
- Goonies
- Gradius II

- Kira Kira Star Night DX (CIB) (RIKI/Columbus Circle)
- Parodius Da!
- Salamander
- Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
- TwinBee 3: Poko Poko Dai Maou
- Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Paseri Jou
- Valkyie no Bouken: Toki no Kage Densetsu

- Yume Penguin Monogatari

If you like bootlegs unlicensed there's this stuff too and in the case of the last, a nice fat money saver.

- Crossfire
- Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dairanto
- Kai no Bouken: The Quest of Ki (Whirlwind Maru)
- Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu
- RocmanX (Sachen-CIB)
- SonSon 2
- Super Fighter III (Street Fighter II: CE conversion)

- Super Mario All-Stars NES MMC5 Hack (Reproduction)
- Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World

That street fighter III is a specific version and it's actually very good which is strange.

Crisis Force

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

Isn't Dig Dug Famicom only?  Worth a few plays if you are into that sorta thing.

Yeah, that and Mappy were only in Japan.

The Famicom Millipede plays the same as the NES version, but doesn't have that butt-ugly green brick and the font is readable.

The Famicom Kickle Cubicle lets you play the levels in each world in any order, which is neat.

As soon as I get home, I'll poke through my games to see what else is good.

Edited by Tulpa

Went through my collection to recommend a few:

Astro Fang - Rad Racer meets Road Blasters. Weird post-apocalyptic scenery and haunting music. Highway has multiple paths (sort of like how Outrun does it.) Only the opening scroll is in Japanese (though I think some ROMs have it translated, it's pretty standard Mad Max story-fare.)

Family Tennis - Someone recommended me this on NA, and it's definitely a very good tennis game. The player names are in Japanese, but I think you can find translations. Some of them are based on real life 80s tennis pros, and mimic their strengths. It's up there with NES Racket Attack  as the best tennis game on Fami hardware.

Joy Mecha Fight - quirky fighting game. On a console that didn't have very many of this genre (and even fewer that were worth playing), this one is pretty cool. Kind of a proto-Clay Fighter. First party Nintendo, too.

Meikyuu Shima - This is the Famicom Kickle Cubicle that I mentioned above.

Super Xevious - A shooter with a twist. At first glance, this seems to be just like NES Xevious, BUT, it throws a curveball. Every level, you have to discover the trick that triggers the next level, or the level loops. Loop too many times, and the game goes psycho with projectiles. Kind of a neat mechanic that you didn't see a lot back in the day.

Wit's - think the Tron Lightcycle level as its own game. It's basically Surround or Snake with a number of neat addons and such.

Goonies - we got Goonies II on NES. If you like that game, you might give this a go. It's a lot simpler, but I honestly prefer it over the sequel.

If you have the right hardware:

Arkanoid II - okay this depends on what you play on. If you have a Famicom and a Fami Vaus/Vaus II, or an AVS (using the hardware emulation function) and an NES Vaus, this is a cool sequel to Arkanoid. Has some neat two-player Arka-Pong games, too. It won't work using the NES Vaus on an NES, though.

Nekketsu koukou Dodge Ball Bu - again, if you have a Famicom and a four-player adapter, or an AVS. Why? Four-player Beanball mode! Otherwise, it's the NES Super Dodge Ball, though with the countries in a different order.

There's a few others I kind of hesitate to mention, such as Exed Exes or B-Wings, especially since you said shooters aren't really your bag, and they're kind of rough, but you might check them out.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Too many to list!  Some that may not have been mentioned yet:

-Nuts & Milk
-Hino Tori
-New Ghostbusters II
-Hello Kitty World (the one that's a Balloon Fight clone)
-Flying Hero
-Choujin Sentai Jetman
-Jumpin' Kid
-Pizza Pop!
-Rodland
-Getsu Fuuma Den
-Circus Charlie
-Bio Senshi Dan
-Hammerin' Harry (both games)

Bloody Warriors - The new translation patch is a huge improvement...wish I wrote my guide a few months later.  Pretty solid beginner level RPG.

Jesus - Not what you'd think, it's a sci-fi text adventure that's pretty damn cool.  Only issue I had with it was figuring out how to repro it without issues, but that's long since solved.  Great game, but limited replayability.

Metal Max - This was a pretty solid RPG, surprised I hadn't heard of it previously.  If you like the genre and you don't play this, you're missing out.

There's definitely others worth mentioning, but my brain ain't working well right now.  Those are just a few of the better ones I've beat in the last year or so.

-Getsuu Fuumaden (translation needed)
-Moon Crystal
-Sword Master (Japanese version has major bug fixes that affect playability)
-Parodius
-Goemon translated
-Kiki Kai Kai
-Corcoran
-Devil world
-Castlevania 3 (better sound)
-Cosmo Police Galivan 
-Adventure Island 4 (Takahashi Meijin 4 - translation needed)
-Mad City (Bayou Billy with lower difficulty)
-Mitsume ga Tooru (Three Eyes Story)
-Gryzor (Contra with cutscenes and more animated sprites)
-Super Gryzor (Super C but lives code gives you 30 lives instead of 10)
-Spartan X2 (sequel to Kung Fu NES unreleased in USA)
-Hammerin Harry
-Ninja Ryuukenden series (Ninja Gaiden series ,difficulty is lower in Japanese version)
-Wai Wai World 1/2
-Magical Kids Doropie (Krion Conquest with cutscenes)
-Kid Nikki sequels (only in Japan)
-Recca
-Crisis Force
-Gradius 2
-Final Fantasy 2/3 (translation)
-Holy Diver
-Joy Mech fight 
-Splatterhouse
-Power Blazer (based on Power Blade, different game)
-Twinbee 1/2
-Uuchu Keibitai SDF

just some stuff that I could think of. I’m sure there’s a lot more good stuff. Famicom is the system that never stops giving

• Like 1

These are some I like.  They're mostly simple arcade style stuff.  No Japanese required, most even have English menus.

Challenger

Cosmic Epsilon

Dragon Buster 1 & 2 (very different games)

Formation Z

Ikki

Insector X

King Kong 2 - Ikari No Megaton Punch

Layla

Quarth

Star Wars (Namco version)

Super Arabian

Thexder

Volguard II

Zunou Senkan Galg