IGNORED

What are some must play Famicom games?

Bearcat-Doug

On 9/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, Ankos said:

Cocoron. It is a pretty gimmicky game, but I like it. It plays like Megaman, and was made by the creator of Megaman, Akira Kitamura. You create your own character which affects how they play (ex: you can give them the ability to hover in exchange for speed and HP, and can give them a variety of weapons). You can select levels, but the way the game works is that each level connect into each other. If you start in the Castle and then decide to go to Star Hill the level will be different than if you started in the forest and then decided to play the Star Hill level. It was released by Takeru, who are better known for their game Little Samson. It had a remake planned for the PC Engine, but that never got released

I tried this one out this morning, but the menus are in Japanese, so I wasn't sure how to set up my character. I'm going to have to find a guide online somewhere that explains the menus so I can give it a shot.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried this one out this morning, but the menus are in Japanese, so I wasn't sure how to set up my character. I'm going to have to find a guide online somewhere that explains the menus so I can give it a shot.

There is a translation patch for it if you're using a flash cart.  I can message you some more information if you want.

• 1 month later...

Here are some games that I either like or think look interesting for a longer playthrough. Some of these may have NES releases, I'm not sure as I am not familiar with the NES set. Here's a quick look, after looking through some of my Famicom books.

Licensed Famicom

Early multicart games - maybe not worth getting individually, but fun.
-Lode Runner
-Nuts and Milk
-Dig Dug
-Pooyan
-Ice Climber
-etc

Antarctic Adventure
Ninja-Kun games 
Power Pad games (there's several after the ones that we received in the USA)
Zippy Race
Binary Land
Goonies
Circus Charlie
SonSon
Ninja Hattori Kun
Hokkaido 53 Tricks
King Kong
Layla
月風傳傳
Fantasy Zone
Lupin 3
Attack Animal Gakuen
Konami World
Fudou Myouou Den (Demon Sword with more stages)
Kunio Kun Games series
Mad City (Bayou Billy but tweaked difficulty)
Dragon Ball (released in Europe iirc)
Journey to the West
Fantasy Zone II
Guevara
Waglan Games series
Flying Hero
Space Shadow (light gun)
Holy Diver
Splatterhouse
Chuka Taisen
Flipull
Don Doko Don
Quarth
Power Blazer (actually the western version is much much better)
SDF
Insector X
Gun Nac
Kid Dracula
Shufflepuck Cafe
Crossfire
Jumpin Jack
Konami World 2
Penguin Yumi
Gorbachev Pipeline
Over Horizon
Cocoron
Robocco Wars
Armadillo
Crazy Land (euro release)
Crisis Force
Kid Niki 2
Hebereke (euro release)
Spartan X 2
Hammerin Harry
Banana Prince (euro release)
"Power Rangers"
PizzaPop!
Gimmik (euro release)
Don Doko Don 2
Recca
3 Eyes Boy
Moon Crystal
Mickey Mouse III (think was released in the USA)
"Power Rangers"
Rodland (euro release)
Korropi 2
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Kid Niki 3
Hammerin Harry 2
Takahashi no Meijin 4

---

Unlicensed Games

Aside from the two Sachen games and the Hwang Shinwei game (updated version of Magic Jewelry 1, a port of Columns for Famicom), I feel the other games listed here are honestly top shelf. Obviously the light gun games aren't good if you aren't using a CRT, and Lin Banned the Opium and Universe Soldiers don't look like much, but are really fun. The rest look and play well, are the whole package, tight controls, etc.

Silver Eagle (Sachen)
Gaiapolis (Sachen)
Magic Jewelry 2 (Hwang Shinwei)
Thunder Warrior (Micro Genius, has euro release...excellent game despite the unfair reviews)
Thunderbolt II (Gamtec, fun shooter)
Universe Soldiers (Gamtec, like Pac-Man but better)
JP Ronny (NTDEC)
Cobra Mission (lightgun, NTDEC)
Huang Di (Asder, one of my favorites)
Lethal Weapon (lightgun)
Donkey Kong Country 4 (Hummer Team, excellent)
Tiny Toon 6 (Hummer Team)
Final Fight 3 (Hummer Team, one of my favorites)
Lin Banned the Opium (one of my favorites, some Chinese required...unique game, much better than what it appears)

---

Homebrew / Indie Games:

Hungry Ghost Night (both versions - these are my games, but I think they are fun in their own right)
Peace, Love, Trippy Club 0 again my game, has nudity and drugs, but I think it's worth playing
Kira Kira Night
Slow Mole

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

月風傳傳

Help us out here

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Donkey Kong Country 4 (Hummer Team, excellent)
Tiny Toon 6 (Hummer Team)

Always been curious why Asians select seemingly arbitrary numbers to assign to games… is there actually a method to the madness?

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

Help us out here

Always been curious why Asians select seemingly arbitrary numbers to assign to games… is there actually a method to the madness?

Looks like google exposes that as Getsu Fuumaden.  Konami game, fairly good one too.

On his list I always forget about it but do want it, Final Fight 3 Famicom, it's badass as I've played the rom.  Samurai Spirits as well is quite amazing.

• Like 1