IGNORED

What consoles didn't succeed but are good?

Nintegageo

On 11/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, nrslam said:

Wikipedia says 9.26M Saturns and 9.13M Dreamcasts worldwide, pretty much a tie, but the Saturn was on the market for about twice as long as the DC so the Dreamcast was a faster seller.

In the US, Saturn debuted in May 1995, and was effectively dead by mid 1998. The Dreamcast launched in September 1999, and was done by early 2002, so they both lasted about the same amount of time on the market.

Yeah, the Saturn lasted a bit longer in Japan because it was more successful there, but it still got crushed by the PlayStation and was on its last legs by 1999.

3 hours ago, cj_robot said:

In the US, Saturn debuted in May 1995, and was effectively dead by mid 1998. The Dreamcast launched in September 1999, and was done by early 2002, so they both lasted about the same amount of time on the market.

Yeah, the Saturn lasted a bit longer in Japan because it was more successful there, but it still got crushed by the PlayStation and was on its last legs by 1999.

Again quoting Wikipedia, which I admit isn't the greatest source, Saturn was sold from 1994 to 2000, Dreamcast from 1998 to 2001.  But, yes, they had similar periods of peak sales in the US. 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, MachineCode said:

I’ll take it. I literally had this discussion with a friend 2 days ago when he claimed PS2 to be the best console ever made (strongly disagree) and that GameCube was kiddy crap. 

Well no accounting for intelligence if that wasn't just gas for a fire and he meant it.  I got so fed up with the kiddie thing tossed at the system in the day, as much as a hold over from the smears about the N64 in the 90s.  Yes it was a cube, yes it had a strange handle, but the games it got, especially in its first 3 years until some people stopped porting sequels were anything but childs play.  The system wasn't a failure though, it wasn't first by any good margin, but it was profitable outright for Nintendo.  Their only real true unmitigated loser was the WiiU.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well no accounting for intelligence if that wasn't just gas for a fire and he meant it.  I got so fed up with the kiddie thing tossed at the system in the day, as much as a hold over from the smears about the N64 in the 90s.  Yes it was a cube, yes it had a strange handle, but the games it got, especially in its first 3 years until some people stopped porting sequels were anything but childs play.  The system wasn't a failure though, it wasn't first by any good margin, but it was profitable outright for Nintendo.  Their only real true unmitigated loser was the WiiU.

Oh he meant it. I bought a GCN around launch and thought it was excellent. Of course that kiddie nonsense came about, especially being 15 at the time. It was ridiculous hearing things like, “XBox is the more mature console.” I can’t think of too many things more pathetic than tying your sense of maturity to a video game console. Except maybe still perpetuating that nonsense nearly 20 years later.

Exactly I remember that well about all the MS drones who jumped on immediately because literally and singularly - HALO.  A game that kept the system going well that otherwise would have been in super trouble for over 6mo had it not existed.  Yes if you have the xbox and paid to play online, and just shot people in Halo for nearly a year exclusively, that made you a big MAN, and if you used the other system that actually had a library already of good to great games, you were a toddler to look down upon.  The fact someone still blows that nonsense out now 20 years later speaks volumes to character.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite "underdog" systems are Sega Master System and Turbografx. I'll also throw in the Tandy TRS-80/Color Computer series. It's got kind of a weird/quirky library and was only available at Radio Shack, but it did get a few NES and PC ports. I might just be blinded by nostalgia because it was the only computer I had growing up, but it's fun and I suggest checking it out if you get a chance. 

Master System, PC Engine, Saturn, what? This thread has a really funny standard for a console "not succeeding" 🙂 I was expecting stuff like 3DO and N-Gage.

I mean sure, if you look specifically at the American TurboGrafx, that was a bit of a failure, but that's kind of no surprise with the absurdly lacking game library it had compared to the Japanese version. I'm a huge fan of the PC Engine, but the US library just isn't good, outside of a couple of bangers (Ninja Spirit and Parasol Stars)

Edited by Sumez

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Master System, PC Engine, Saturn, what? This thread has a really funny standard for a console "not succeeding" 🙂 I was expecting stuff like 3DO and N-Gage.

I mean sure, if you look specifically at the American TurboGrafx, that was a bit of a failure, but that's kind of no surprise with the absurdly lacking game library it had compared to the Japanese version. I'm a huge fan of the PC Engine, but the US library just isn't good, outside of a couple of bangers (Ninja Spirit and Parasol Stars)

Our view is a little skewed, especially in the third console generation, since the NES was so dominant over here.

The Saturn also didn't do well over here thanks to a botched launch announcement and the PlayStation undercutting it on price and third party support.

• 11 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:03 AM, Nintegageo said:

Controversial mention - Game Cube?

As I've often said, I like to refer to the GC as the Harry Truman of consoles.  Not so popular during it's actual time as an active console (at least compared to its two competitors), but over time grew to be respected more.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:30 AM, Sumez said:

Oh don't even get me started on the N-Gage...I knew before it even released it was a big joke.  And sure enough IIRC its SRP was cut in half not even three weeks after launch.  Seriously who wants to pay 3x the price of a GBA for worse versions of its games?  Observe...

Turbografx-16 baby! (In the US and Europe at least)

Hot take: The Master System (Outside of Brazil and some European countries before you start grabbing your pitchforks) and Wii U rightfully bombed because they had no truly great games (Wonder Boy 3 doesn't count because the Turbo got a better version)

Edited by Vectrex28