IGNORED

What consoles didn't succeed but are good?

Nintegageo

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

🎶Dot dododot dotdot dotdot dotdooottt 🎶 DAY TONAAA USA!! daytona usa DAYYYY TOONNNAAA!!!

I loved the 4 player Daytona USA arcade game. When the Saturn had it's "surprise" launch, I walked into Babbage's (yeah I'm that old) and saw the system for sale with Virtua Fighter bundled and Daytona USA as a launch title I was like

spacer.png

even though the console alone was like $400 back then! I don't even regret it! 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I loved the 4 player Daytona USA arcade game. When the Saturn had it's "surprise" launch, I walked into Babbage's (yeah I'm that old) and saw the system for sale with Virtua Fighter bundled and Daytona USA as a launch title I was like

spacer.png

even though the console alone was like $400 back then! I don't even regret it! 😂

You sir are a saint. And yeah.... we are old. 

Well I can think of three immediately that come to mind for the US market.

1) Neo Geo AES - It was doomed from the start considering they inflated the price of the games due to them being re-pinned arcade boards so only the truly rich or thrifty who would buy nothing else and save for ONE game could afford it.

2) Master System - Nintendo hosed Sega/Tonka with the contracts of the 80s and kept them out. The system was lacking in a few subtle ways, especially as it couldn't take a beefier game beyond memory limits (no NES like memory mapper/expansions) but it had a great library of choices no one had including the best of their 8bit arcade conversions.

3) TG16(PCE) - The system had NEC not been completely incompetent self destructive fools in the NA market could have done great. You have this system that could keep pace and even exceed commonly the quality output of what the Genesis could do, yet the Japanese overlords refused to port 2/3 of the HuCard(Turbo Chip) library and equally as bad over CD/SCDs (and no ACDs) too.  Mostly what we did get were the B C and under tier mediocrity and garbage with a sprinkling of a good game for every 5-10 bad ones, and given we got around 100 on card, that's a death blow.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I'd say the Wii U. Some great games and I loved playing on the tablet, but I guess the Switch kinda makes the Wii U obsolete in that regard.

When a good portion of the Switch's popular 1st party library consists of Wii U ports, it definitely confirms the great games aspect.

• Like 1

Agreed, a truly terribly designed system Nintendo fouled up and third parties made them pay over given the library.  And due to the sad sales of the thing, they take most of the single party greats and stuff them on Switch, a couple on 3DS, and then the titles get the sales, profit, and respect they had been lacking and deserved.  It really does say a lot.  I still wouldn't call anything else about the WiiU good as it's a dumpster fire in design, but the games, you can't argue Nintendo had some great stuff thankfully spared the indignity of bottom dwelling due to the ports.

Wii U for sure, yeah its mental in design but for what it was worth it did have great games for it, Turbografx would had done better if they would had ported over more better games for it same for Saturn and I suppose Dreamcast even though it had some pretty decent games during its short lifetime 

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Dreamcast do "well"?  It was just to little, to late to save SEGA.  I remember a LOT of people getting the DC.  It was fair priced, had a good line up.  A solid set of good, early games, but even with all of that going, it seemed that SEGA had already slid to far to having close their hardware doors to even survive.

Of course, you might say that those facts make it obvious that the DC didn't do well.  However, it's my opinion that the demise of SEGA hardware didn't have to do with poor DC sells or hype, it had to do with SEGA itself and struggling to keep up with a modern, changing hardware market.

Definitely Vita. Having a portable, console quality system in 2012 was incredible. To this day has some exclusive titles that are definitive, like P4 and nearly all Vanillaware games. Even the OLED makes it stand apart from contemporaries. Sony definitely dropped the ball on card implementation and overall support which is a shame, as Switch has proven there is a market for a high end handheld.  

1 hour ago, arnpoly said:

Virtual Boy.  Yeah I know there are headaches, alignment problems, etc.  The library on there, while small, is really quite good.

You'll get no argument out of me, I've got the whole thing.  The system was never given a chance, and the whole rot your eyes and headche thing was wholly overblown by people who didn't bother to set it up right combined with some people who just can't handle 3D  (such as those who get queazy and eye pain playing even a game like DOOM(1993) and their type.

• Like 1

As one of the few who actually liked the design of the WiiU, I wish it had sold better and thus gotten better 3rd party support.

The system I wish had really done better was the Atari 7800.  Gaming history might have played out very differently if the 7800 had been out in 1984 as planned, but the 2 year delay that occurred when the Tramiels took over killed 3rd party support, gave Nintendo the opening it needed to establish the NES in the US, and pretty much finished Atari as a viable competitor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Dreamcast do "well"?  It was just to little, to late to save SEGA.  I remember a LOT of people getting the DC.  It was fair priced, had a good line up.  A solid set of good, early games, but even with all of that going, it seemed that SEGA had already slid to far to having close their hardware doors to even survive.

Of course, you might say that those facts make it obvious that the DC didn't do well.  However, it's my opinion that the demise of SEGA hardware didn't have to do with poor DC sells or hype, it had to do with SEGA itself and struggling to keep up with a modern, changing hardware market.

DC did comparatively well. The finishing blow to Sega was the 32x, Sega cd, Sega Genesis AND Sega Saturn games all being on shelves at the same time, effectively making Sega compete against itself.

Bally Professional Arcade, aka Astrocade.

It was the Neo Geo of the 70s.  Spec-wise it totally blew away the competition, the controllers are incredible and it had some really cool games in its small library.  We'll probably never know the console's full potential due to poor support and lack of attention.  Even now, a good chunk of retro gamers have never heard of it.

• Like 1

I guess I can understand why people didn't like the Wii U design, but I thought it was great. I loved playing games on the tablet. I could be chilling on the couch playing games while still hanging with my wife and kid while they watch TV. To me, it was like a new Nintendo portable,  but with a bigger screen and better games. My only gripe was that I couldn't take it anywhere in the house. The Switch is really just the full realization of the vision they had for the Wii U, I believe.

• Like 2