IGNORED

Do you prefer vertical or horizontal shooters?

Nintegageo

Vert or Hori?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Vert or Hori?

• Vertical
    • Horizontal

Horizontal all the way for me. Vertical shooters tend to be more visually busy and are difficult due to bullet spam, but horizontal shooters tend to have more interesting level design what with navigating through confined spaces. Bio-Hazard Battle on Genesis is a shooter masterpiece to me at least, and that kind of game simply can't exist in the vertical format.

@Lynda Monica bio hazard battle is bad ass. Right from the title screen with the music and visual sets the vibe. I get so jacked up when that game starts up. The music all around is some of my personal favorite in all of video games. The theme is cool as fuck! The gameplay is fantastic and the graphics are great. I have some highly regarded shooters in my collection such as truxton, gaiares, wings of war, elemental master, fire shark, lords of thunder… but damn if bio hazard battle isn’t the best one imo and truly is terribly underrated and left out of conversation among the top shelf shooters. Shmup junkie did give it some props on his mega drive video.

• Love 1

Somehow I have no memories or nostalgia playing shooters as a kid. My Nintendo library consisted of mainly platformers and beat um ups. 
My first real memory of playing shooters is on Nintendoage, in the weekly contest, the first one that comes to mind is gradius. I was terrible at it and it frustrated me to no end. I played all week grinding and couldn’t clear it. The next one I remember is xevious. Same thing, could not get the hang of it and was not able to clear it despite my desperate efforts. 
The first shooter that clicked with me is stinger. It’s an easy game and probably why I was able to enjoy it. We played it in the contest on a max score ruleset. It’s hard to lose a life in that game so we were all just looping it over and over and I believe that is when I finally figured out my approach to shooters. 
Since then I have come to love the genre and it’s my go too. I still enjoy a good action platformer. At first I enjoyed vertical scrolling shooters but when I played life force I began to enjoy the horizontal shooters.

If I had to pick I would go with vertical because of the visuals. Although like Lydia said the layouts in horizontal shooters are better. It’s a tough call.

• Like 1

I like both. Galaga was the first video game I ever played, though that's just a matter of circumstance - it was the only one there.

I've never really been compelled to overcome the challenging layouts of something like Gradius or Abadox. Nor do I particularly care for bullet hell.

I like Gyruss, Gunnac, Aero Fighters, and Ikaruga. All that said, Defender is by far my favorite.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I've always preferred horizontal shooters over vertical shooters. For some reason, they feel more intuitive to me (maybe because all of my experience is with console-shooters, which cater to a horizontal playfield due to TV aspect ratios).

I used to actively avoid vertical shooters, but games like Star Soldier and much of the PC Engine library broke my bias, and now I don't weigh the orientation against a game.

Many of my favorite shooters actually swap between vertical and horizontal stages (like Abadox), or even scroll in multiple directions within the same stage (like Burai Fighter), and that's never bothered me.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Honestly, I could go either way, as I like both varieties. I only voted for vertical because there are a few notable vertical shmups that give you X, Y and Z axis movement and that's pretty darn cool. I don't ever recall encountering a horizontal shmup that played with the Z axis as a maneuvering option.

Edited by Webhead123

I really love both, a lot of my favourites are horis... Gradius and Parodius, Blazing Star, DeathSmiles, ... but overall for some reason I think your average middle ground horizontal shooter had a tendency to be super forgettable and often tedious. Meanwhile verticals almost always have something going for them. All in all there just are a lot more verts out there too, and most of the alltime greats that I have a ton of respect for are vertical. 

Garegga, Flying Shark, Espgaluda, Mushi Futari, 19XX, Out Zone, Omega Fighter, the list is just seemingly endless... 

If you're not sticking to the single setup no scroll style shooting type stuff, for me, my first was Gradius on the NES, after that, and we're talking loosely here since it's all range, Raid on Bungling Bay, and at some earlier rate I think a trade or gift I did end up with 1942 I've basically had worked on all kinds of angles.  That's really why I can't put one over the other.  But longer term, in all fairness, I've enjoyed all three directions, yet I believe a good majority of what I like most have been horizontal ones, largely really, from Konami, and a few other stand outs from the Neo-Geo, the randoms like Cotton or Spriggan Powered on SFC.

Why it's an issue, I also have some really well cared for games I own I like that go vertical too, so it's just not cut and dry.  Ever look at my game list?   I have a good many vertical but some of them are part-time vertical and horizontal.  In the end, it comes down to the game, as I don't give to flips about getting teary about tate mode or the rest of it.

12 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I've always preferred horizontal shooters over vertical shooters. For some reason, they feel more intuitive to me (maybe because all of my experience is with console-shooters, which cater to a horizontal playfield due to TV aspect ratios).

I used to actively avoid vertical shooters, but games like Star Soldier and much of the PC Engine library broke my bias, and now I don't weigh the orientation against a game.

Many of my favorite shooters actually swap between vertical and horizontal stages (like Abadox), or even scroll in multiple directions within the same stage (like Burai Fighter), and that's never bothered me.

-CasualCart

Was waiting for you to reply to this thread. 

Love both. Prefer horizontal. 

• Like 1