IGNORED

Skateboarding

Gloves

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's funny how they draw gigantic tits and then give her the face of an 8 year old...

I really wish more people had your power of observation, Morbo.  🙂  Sincerely.

@CasualCart If I could distill my admittedly long-winded previous post into 2 words, it would be 

Wrist Guard.

Especially for gamers and that goes double or triple for musicians and visual artists and pretty much anyone else who uses their hands for something greater than simply meat-hooking grub. 😉 

Hope yer not out of commission too long.

Keep On Riding!

Or, if necessary;

Keep On Riding!

Keep On Drawing!

Edited by PII

I love skateboarding! I'm the cliche demographic of skateboarder who came around just as it got its 3rd(?) wind with THPS launching into orbit in the late 90s. I didn't skate much through my late 20s and it showed when I stepped back on the board a few years ago for the first time in a while... mainly with a notable weight gain and significantly more sweating. I still get DOMS almost every time I go out lol... but I'm in questionable shape and drink. 

Best advice is get a board (and sneakers) that fits you with some decent bearings. Smooth rolling is everything from effort to push to ease of landing potential tricks. Truck tightness is also important as too tight and you have less control but too loose and you lose it the other way and promote speed wobbles (especially with smaller wheels). Get comfortable on the board by learning  to cruise at moderate speeds and ollie (if that interests you) and skating becomes a lot more fun as getting around becomes easier. Learning to fall is also good advice.. tuck and roll. Flat shoes/sneakers work best for me but styles have definitely changed over the years. 

Some of my best memories are throwing on my mp3 player and finding a quiet corner in the city to skate. Great exercise too! I still keep a pair of sneakers and my board in the trunk of the car. Fall is the best season in Canada for skating for sure. 

I'm not online as much these days but any particular questions and I might be able to help you out. 

skate.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Also, if you're starting to gain an uncomfortable amount of speed it's often better to jump off the board and hit the ground running rather than trying to go one foot or tail-sliding/kick-turning to try and slow down etc. Good to practice your speed on a street with a bowl effect and then just keep going a little more up the high side of the street each time. 

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Also, if you're starting to gain an uncomfortable amount of speed it's often better to jump off the board and hit the ground running rather than trying to go one foot or tail-sliding/kick-turning to try and slow down etc. Good to practice your speed on a street with a bowl effect and then just keep going a little more up the high side of the street each time. 

I hear this a lot - just bail, jump off.

Now I get that me surviving takes precedence over money etc., but like, if I jump off the skateboard it's gonna fly into a car and I'm 100% gonna have to pay for the damage. Is there some trick to jumping off that doesn't have my skateboard flying off into traffic and getting someone else killed by a car swerving to avoid the skateboard?

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Now I get that me surviving takes precedence over money etc., but like, if I jump off the skateboard it's gonna fly into a car and I'm 100% gonna have to pay for the damage. Is there some trick to jumping off that doesn't have my skateboard flying off into traffic and getting someone else killed by a car swerving to avoid the skateboard?

The trick to that is getting a new bike.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

In my experience the board naturally rolls to the toe side as you typically turn that way and give more weight to that side over time, so ride with your back to the street. A good way to tell is just kick the board in front of you without getting on it and see which way it drifts then ride on that side of the road. Also, you naturally give a bit more weight to the front side of the board as you jump. But, yeah, a lot of times I got way too much speed, I just bail.. it's better to hit the ground on your terms haha. I only had my board hit a moving car a few times when it's gotten away from me and they've just kept going... one time it get decimated though and I was surprised the person didn't slow down to investigate. If you're on foot just go where a car can't if shit hits the fan. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

In my experience the board naturally rolls to the toe side as you typically turn that way and give more weight to that side over time, so ride with your back to the street. A good way to tell is just kick the board in front of you without getting on it and see which way it drifts then ride on that side of the road. Also, you naturally give a bit more weight to the front side of the board as you jump. But, yeah, a lot of times I got way too much speed, I just bail.. it's better to hit the ground on your terms haha. I only had my board hit a moving car a few times when it's gotten away from me and they've just kept going... one time it get decimated though and I was surprised the person didn't slow down to investigate. If you're on foot just go where a car can't if shit hits the fan. 

Thanks man I appreciate the tips! If you're ever in TO we can hang and do flips and shit.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

Helmet and gloves.... Protect what's most important and what is likely the first thing used to cushion the fall.  Biker gloves have fingers cut off, light weight, and often got safety reflector stuff on it.  Want to be super hardcore you can just get weight lifting gloves.  

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Helmet and gloves.... Protect what's most important and what is likely the first thing used to cushion the fall.  Biker gloves have fingers cut off, light weight, and often got safety reflector stuff on it.  Want to be super hardcore you can just get weight lifting gloves.  

200.gif

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

Also for the price of one hospital visit you could get a Segway Ninebot F Series Electric Kick Scooter, 10-inch Pneumatic Tire, Foldable Commuter Electric Scooter for Adults, Dark Grey https://a.co/d/4Vou4o5 Just saying...

Price of one hospital visit?

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Sorry, forgot you don't live in 'Merica where even good health care will make you scream at the bill you get.  4 staples in the scalp cost  $500+....only had to pay $175 what a deal! 

Happy Rob Mills GIF by Neighbours (Official TV Show account)

To be fair I DO have to pay for the ambulance ride. Last one I took was like... $30.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1