IGNORED

Skateboarding

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Screenshot_2022-07-17-01-28-58-733.jpg

So I've not hopped on a skateboard in 20 years, and man I'm feeling those 20 years. Long story short, I picked up a skateboard recently for a couple o reasons, foremost being to just get to and from the store faster and in a bit of a more engaging manner. 

But I'm an old man now, ya know? Balancing is hard, moving around is hard, I've not been physically active in a long time honestly. Muscles have atrophied a bit, moms spaghetti. I was trying to get better at stopping, just going back and forth, trying techniques I found online; fell on my ass and now I'm all bruised up, cuts and scrapes, etc.. I've been riding the board to the store down the road as was my intent, but it's a slight downhill (embarrassingly slight) which has resulted in a few situations where I have a bit of trouble slowing and stopping. 

Anywho. I believe the bulk of my issues are at the core just me being out of shape and that's not the intent of the thread, more just a rant about my experience thus far. 

I've been looking at getting skate shoes to give better control (as opposed to my Nike running shoes). Does anyone have thoughts on decent skate shoes? Or anything else to talk about skateboarding? I don't plan to go nutso skateboard punk doing flips and whatever, but it's an interesting topic and I do hope to continue practising so figured I'd make a thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a 33” sector 9 with some nice abec 11 flywheels and bear trucks. This is an old pic but I still have it. It’s outside on my front porch right now. I haven’t rode it in 5 years I bet. There is a nice hill about a quarter mile from my house. I been thinking of taking a shot at it. It’s a decent enough hill to get speed wobbles and if I take a good fall these days it might be pretty bad. 

i always stopped by dragging a foot and if it got hairy I just jumped off. Also Tuck and roll is your friend. 

2BDC6E02-6E48-4CB0-9893-C31F7BEB7974.jpeg

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

Man if I tuck and roll I ain't gettin back up lol.

Living in Toronto makes it a bit rough tbh; cars are parked all up the roads, fair bit of traffic even on my quiet street, and the skateboard parks where I could go to practise are quite far from me. Sometimes it sucks being in the center of the city cuz all the cool shit is on the outskirts. 

• Like 1

Lol. I used to shoot for some grass during the tuck and roll. And I was strictly a cruiser. I would do some “tricks” like jump off the board and run along side it then jump back on. Or walk up and down the board while coasting. But it really was just transportation for me in between bus stops and bars.

• Like 1

I got back into skateboarding in my early 30’s after stopping around 17 and had the exact same experience 😆 Had to stop again because I now live in the mountains and I never was into downhill skating.

Anyway, some stuff I learnt:

- no matter how stupid you look wear elbow, wrist pads and a helmet. Shit doesn’t heal as well when you’re old.

- practice how to fall. This sounds weird but it will save you from a broken wrist or worse. Watch some videos on how to fall. Practice on grass or your lounge room.

- learn to bail. Don’t go down with the board or scrape the back of the board. Probably end in disaster.

- get the right board. If you’re just going to the shops get massive wheels and a cruiser or longboard. You’ll be falling over every pebble if you’re riding on small wheels.

- check out some videos on how to just cruise the streets. Practice in a parking lot if you need to.

I think @CasualCart is a skater so he can probably add more.

@Brickman ya I think those wheels I got are like 90+mm I learned quick that I get more cruise for my push. Good bearings. I always like the 33” compared to the longer long boards the longer ones always felt like they had a “hull speed” like no mater how hard I pushed they only went so fast. Where the shorter “long board” would go as fast as I could push it. The only advantage I notice with the longer board was coasting distance in between kicks.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I feel this - I've been skating less and less ever since since college, and my body just can't handle the motions or the hits as well as it used to.

That being said, I agree with @Brickman and @docile tapeworm. Get bigger, softer cruiser wheels unless you want to catch every pebble in the sidewalk, and wear wristguards (and maybe some work-gloves so you don't tear-up your fingers if you catch yourself falling).

As far as skate-shoes, anything with a flat sole should be fine. Running shoes have too much contour in the bottoms to rest properly on the deck of the board.

And one more thing - take it easy on the uphill on your way back. I tried riding my skateboard to church last month (less than a mile away), and I pulled something pretty bad trying to keep my momentum uphill.

Also - skating by the road in the middle of Toronto? It was nice knowing you haha.

-CasualCart

18 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

And one more thing - take it easy on the uphill on your way back. I tried riding my skateboard to church last month (less than a mile away), and I pulled something pretty bad trying to keep my momentum uphill.

I've got a short cruiser and did the exact same thing a couple months ago. I was hobbling around for a week before I could even stand to put standing pressure on my leg.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Get a bike hippie.

I have a bike but it's a bit overkill to ride it two minutes to the store then carry the bike through the store or lock it up outside (I have a very stealable bike). 

My goal was something I can grab and go, and stop using it at will and with relative ease. I considered rollerblades, shoes with wheels, scooters, those electric tire things, lots of stuff. For my wants and needs nothing IMO can beat a chunk of wood with wheels on it. 

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I have a bike but it's a bit overkill to ride it two minutes to the store then carry the bike through the store or lock it up outside (I have a very stealable bike). 

My goal was something I can grab and go, and stop using it at will and with relative ease. I considered rollerblades, shoes with wheels, scooters, those electric tire things, lots of stuff. For my wants and needs nothing IMO can beat a chunk of wood with wheels on it. 

Why is it very stealable? Cheap?

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

It's very expensive and comes apart easily (it's a foldable bike). 

Get a better bike and a good u-lock. 
Also get a big backpack. 
This is a better option than a skateboard.

Fortunately I live right across the street from a grocery store(by design) so I don’t need to ride my bike for groceries. The backpack is a game changer though.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

Get a better bike and a good u-lock. 
Also get a big backpack. 
This is a better option than a skateboard.

Fortunately I live right across the street from a grocery store(by design) so I don’t need to ride my bike for groceries. The backpack is a game changer though.

I've got a big backpack and there's no such thing as a better bike for my living situation. The folding bike is of excellent quality, and I have a folding bike due to lack of space. 

Also it's less fun. As I stated it's not just about getting to and from. Someday if I can build back up the energy, I'd love to learn some simple tricks so I can make the two minute ride to the store more engaging. Right now I basically just hop on and stand still and I'm at the store in a quarter of the normal time it takes. I'd love to be doing little tricks along the way, even as simple as just ollying up onto the sidewalk. 

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've got a big backpack and there's no such thing as a better bike for my living situation. The folding bike is of excellent quality, and I have a folding bike due to lack of space. 

Also it's less fun. As I stated it's not just about getting to and from. Someday if I can build back up the energy, I'd love to learn some simple tricks so I can make the two minute ride to the store more engaging. Right now I basically just hop on and stand still and I'm at the store in a quarter of the normal time it takes. I'd love to be doing little tricks along the way, even as simple as just ollying up onto the sidewalk. 

I’m too old for tricks. 

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

hardcore-parkour-hardcore.gif

• Haha 2