IGNORED

Skateboarding

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

It should start. It’s a “healthy” addiction.

There's honestly just very little in the way of options for biking; I have a cemetery down the road I can bike in and that's about it really. I could bike up and down Yonge street which now thankfully has bike lanes, but people in cars hardly even respect those, let alone any roads without bike lanes are basically a death trap.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There's honestly just very little in the way of options for biking; I have a cemetery down the road I can bike in and that's about it really. I could bike up and down Yonge street which now thankfully has bike lanes, but people in cars hardly even respect those, let alone any roads without bike lanes are basically a death trap.

Shit. I live in the US fool. You put your life on the line everyday cycling here. 
Think of it as an adventure.

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I walk on the curb to keep my balance up to par as I've aged. It's slower than skateboarding but still makes me look like a manchild

This is down the street from me and whenever I walk up to Davisville I walk along it for fun and balance practice (and to scare my wife if she's with me):

image.png

• Like 1

I've gotten in and out of Skateboarding at least 3 or 4 times so far in this life.  The last time I was really in was about 8 years ago and it wasn't too hard to get goin again after several years of inactivity.  A couple years ago, I came into possession of a couple of decent boards and started up a little bit, but both boards had little wheels and I don't care for that at all so I unloaded them.  So I guess I just gotta find the right board again.  

I'm not really sure how I'll feel about pads, helmets etc. if and when that happens, I'm from a generation that did not wear anything like that as kids and old habits can be hard to break even though old bones are considerably less difficult to not do the same with.  But it makes me think back to some stuff circa 2014.  

I had this friend who was over 40 and still skating/doing all manner of hardcore stuff and every once in a blue moon he'd come home from this particular bowl that had a spot (I'm not good with the terminology) where if you screwed up, you'd drop something like 9 or 10 feet; and he'd be limpin and exhausted and say something about what he'd done that would end with: "...and then I just,....SLAMMED."  And then a few to several days would go by and he'd be back at it.  That is a rare sort.  

Once, when we were skating at a much safer park we ran into this guy he knew who was also over 40 and still at it, talked about how he would still go to skateparks everywhere that he traveled and at one point he was talkin' about some guy showing up with a helmet on and him and a bunch of other old heads giving him a hard time about it.  My friend kind of chuckled along at that, but then later said to me: "a helmet is a really good idea, and I'd also strongly recommend a wrist guard."  This, in spite of the fact that he rarely ever used  any kind of gear like that himself.  

Anyway, sometimes that kind of gear may not really be necessary.  Learning to fall will generally save ones knees, elbows and head.  Personally, I've never had much trouble taking more or less ordinary falls w/o padding during street and bowl riding.  But guys like the aforementioned pair are probably 1% of 1% of skateboarders.  Lots of younger sorts wear all manner of gear and no one gives anyone a hard time about it.  I used to ride a bicycle as my primary vehicle all over a busy city and I eventually swallowed my pride and put a cool helmet on.  Sooner or later you have to face the reality that most people suck at driving and do not pay proper attention to what's going on around them with something comparable to perfect reliability.

You ride a bike on city streets, eventually you get hit by a car.  Maybe not bad, but sooner or later it happens.

You ride a skateboard, sooner or later, no matter how good you are, you hit a rock or something and take a spill, and advancing age can and should make one think once more about protection than one would as a kid.

Around the same time, a buddy of mine started racing motorcycles and I briefly considered taking up the hobby as well.  He was younger than me and had not had any major injuries in his life.  Sometimes I still kinda wish that I had gone for it, but not too much.  It would have been awesome, but sooner or later you're going to eat some asphalt and knowing how to fall at those kind of speeds doesn't really change the reality that you really do have to be a special kind of crazy for some things.  And sooner or later one has to be wise enough to decide not to look too hard for excitement.

Good Topic!

Edited by PII

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, PII said:

I've gotten in and out of Skateboarding at least 3 or 4 times so far in this life.  The last time I was really in was about 8 years ago and it wasn't too hard to get goin again after several years of inactivity.  A couple years ago, I came into possession of a couple of decent boards and started up a little bit, but both boards had little wheels and I don't care for that at all so I unloaded them.  So I guess I just gotta find the right board again.  

I'm not really sure how I'll feel about pads, helmets etc. if and when that happens, I'm from a generation that did not wear anything like that as kids and old habits can be hard to break even though old bones are considerably less difficult to do the same with.  But it makes me think back to some stuff circa 2014.  

I had this friend who was over 40 and still skating/doing all manner of hardcore stuff and every once in a blue moon he'd come home from this particular bowl that had a spot (I'm not good with the terminology) where if you screwed up, you'd drop something like 9 or 10 feet; and he'd be limpin and exhausted and say something about what he'd done that would end with: "...and then I just,....SLAMMED."  And then a few to several days would go by and he'd be back at it.  That is a rare sort.  

Once, when we were skating at a much safer park we ran into this guy he knew who was also over 40 and still at it, talked about how he would still go to skateparks everywhere that he traveled and at one point he was talkin' about some guy showing up with a helmet on and him and a bunch of other old heads giving him a hard time about it.  My friend kind of chuckled along at that, but then later said to me: "a helmet is a really good idea, and I'd also strongly recommend a wrist guard."  This, in spite of the fact that he rarely ever used  any kind of gear like that himself.  

Anyway, sometimes that kind of gear may not really be necessary.  Learning to fall will generally save ones knees, elbows and head.  Personally, I've never had much trouble taking more or less ordinary falls w/o padding during street and bowl riding.  But guys like the aforementioned pair are probably 1% of 1% of skateboarders.  Lots of younger sorts wear all manner of gear and no one gives anyone a hard time about it.  I used to ride a bicycle as my primary vehicle all over a busy city and I eventually swallowed my pride and put a cool helmet on.  Sooner or later you have to face the reality that most people suck at driving and do not pay proper attention to what's going on around them with something comparable to perfect reliability.

You ride a bike on city streets, eventually you get hit by a car.  Maybe not bad, but sooner or later it happens.

You ride a skateboard, sooner or later, no matter how good you are, you hit a rock or something and take a spill, and advancing age can and should make one think once more about protection than one would as a kid.

Around the same time, a buddy of mine started racing motorcycles and I briefly considered taking up the hobby as well.  He was younger than me and had not had any major injuries in his life.  Sometimes I still kinda wish that I had gone for it, but not too much.  It would have been awesome, but sooner or later you're going to eat some asphalt and knowing how to fall at those kind of speeds doesn't really change the reality that you really do have to be a special kind of crazy for some things.  And sooner or later one has to be wise enough to decide not to look too hard for excitement.

Good Topic!

Thanks for this post! Same experience as a kid, you'd get made fun of pretty hard for literally any protective gear when I was skateboarding an a kid. You'd fall and take the cuts and bumps and suck it up or you're a bitch. 

Honestly I'm glad kids these days are more commonly wearing protective gear, and I've made a point of mental noting whenever I see someone biking or skateboarding what gera they're wearing to ease my mind about it. I'm still pretty self-conscious about it all, having been made fun of quite often growing up, but I wanna get out there and do thin thing I used to have a lot of fun with. 

• Agree 1