IGNORED

Recommend Some PS1/2 RPG's

Lago

I've got a friend that has never played a PS1 or PS2.  He's a huge RPG fan and, more or less, asked what games he should look into.  So, if you were in my spot what games would you recommend?  And would you recommend they play in a certain order?

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What kind of RPGs specifically? Classic turn-based? Action? Strategy? The PS2 especially has a pretty varied RPG library with lots of great options.

From what he has told me about his play history he’s wide open as long as it’s RPG, but I’d say the RPG he played the LEAST was tactics type games.

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, Lago said:

From what he has told me about his play history he’s wide open as long as it’s RPG, but I’d say the RPG he played the LEAST was tactics type games.

ff anthology?

I guess if he already played them on snes that is moot....

ff7?

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Lago said:

Cool. Note that I've paid no heed whatsoever to cost; some of these games are prohibitively expensive if he plans to purchase real copies.

• Traditional style RPGs:
    • PS1
      • Final Fantasy 7 & 9
      • Wild Arms 1 & 2
      • Xenogears
      • Jade Cocoon
      • Legend of Dragoon
      • Parasite Eve
      • Persona series
      • Valkyrie Profile
      • Suikoden 1 & 2
    • PS2
      • Final Fantasy 10 & 10-2
      • Final Fantasy 12
      • Dragon Quest VIII
      • Wild Arms 3
      • Wild Arms Alter Code: F
      •  Xenosaga 1-3
      • Persona series
  • Action RPGs:
    • PS2
      • Shining Force EXA & NEO (not Tears, it wasn't great)
      • Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
      • Radiata Stories
      • Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tales of Eternia; they got the most adorable lavender color chick who loves to say "You bet!" and Sue in Grandia loves to say "Pretty easy, right puffy?  Mmm-hmm!!"  Always pick the RPGs with really cute kawaii chicks on your team! 🥰  And yes there's Jessica in Dragon Quest 8 who (IIRC) said that her mother said that her dress is "vulgar"...now where would that old prude get such an idea like that? 😄 

Only one not mentioned I would recommend is the Lunar Silver Star Story and to a lesser Eternal Blue. SSS in paticular has a "just right" difficulty with a very nicely paced and not too far fetched story. Also, NPCs and sometimes random objects almost always have jokes and interesting things to say making it fun to walk around clicking on everything. It's probably one of the best intros to the genre out there.

Administrator · Posted

Huge RPG fan but *never* played PS1 or PS2? Wow! He's certainly in for a treat!  There are tons of great RPGs on those systems.  Many of which are mentioned above (Gloves' list is pretty solid!).  Some others that I personally enjoy quite a bit are:

PS1:
* Chrono Cross

PS2:
* Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
* Digital Devil Saga series
* Rogue Galaxy
* Shadow Hearts series
* Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
* Tales of the Abyss

There are soooooo many others, but I think this thread has a pretty good list of great games.  Most of the classics are covered here.  He has tons of great options!  

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ThePhleo said:

I was about to get mad for it not being in your list until I seen you separated by sub-genre.

But still negative points for forgetting Star Ocean.

I wasn't big on Star Ocean personally, but granted that might make me a bit of an odd one out.

37 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Only one not mentioned I would recommend is the Lunar Silver Star Story and to a lesser Eternal Blue. SSS in paticular has a "just right" difficulty with a very nicely paced and not too far fetched story. Also, NPCs and sometimes random objects almost always have jokes and interesting things to say making it fun to walk around clicking on everything. It's probably one of the best intros to the genre out there.

Oh those not only have cute chicks as well (especially when that one in SS who jumps and spins around after winning a battle) but you can even see them nekkid in the hot springs...but like the lady says there, boys...no peeking!  Got it?!! 😄 

And in both games you can get (in the first game use a guide or you can VERY easily permanently (can't go back for) miss some!) collectable pics of the chicks (called "Bromides" for some reasons) too!🥰 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Estil said:

Oh those not only have cute chicks as well (especially when that one in SS who jumps and spins around after winning a battle) but you can even see them nekkid in the hot springs...but like the lady says there, boys...no peeking!  Got it?!! 😄 

And in both games you can get (in the first game use a guide or you can VERY easily permanently (can't go back for) miss some!) collectable pics of the chicks (called "Bromides" for some reasons) too!🥰 

God damn it dude, lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

God damn it dude, lol.

That's what players (well male ones) will say when they find out the spring for the boys is very easy to get to while the one for the girls you must get through a path of really tough enemies!  I don't reckon female gamers will complain though! 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Not quite my reasons for recommending it, but I suppose these things are true too...

• Haha 2

I normally never get involved with these kinds of things or openly disagree with a person's opinion as these are all opinions, but the notion of Xenogears being overrated baffles me. That said, despite me wanting to write an objective dissertation about Xenogears being a flawed masterpiece that no one would read (and rightly, lol), I know better than to ever try to change someone's mind when it's been made up. 

To that end, the only real advice I can share is to try anything in a genre because you never know what you're going to like until you do. For some, Xenogears is overrated, for me, it's my favorite game of all time. The common thread is that we all had to simply try it to come to those conclusions and those impressions shouldn't colour yours about any particular game given that any title will have detractors and champions.

Best of luck in the discovery!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1