IGNORED

Music Debate #136: Avril Lavigne

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Brilliant, a guilty pleasure of mine.

The tunes are really infectious, the sort of thing that just runs through your head all day and won't leave. I like the lyrics and the themes, in part because they are quite shallow teenage fluff. I guess part of it might be nostalgic, but sometimes I'd rather just listen to something like this than something heavy, especially if I'm doing some sort of computer work.

She just released a new album last year I guess it was, I had heard one of the songs on the radio while at a junk shop here in Taiwan, and I was thinking, "WTF?" as it just sounded like her old stuff, but while I have mixed feelings on the situation (i.e. should people of her age still be singing the same type of songs as they were doing twenty years ago?), at the same time it felt quite good, in the same way that homebrew NES games feel good.

I got her first album when I was a kid, back in like 5th grade or so. I liked the music but until then I had only heard my parents playing country music, or Britney Spears / Backstreet Boys on the radio. Had a bit of a crush on her going into my preteens, lol. I still like the first album but I've tried listening to her subsequent stuff and it just doesn't work for me. So it might be nostalgia for the first album, but I gave her a 7/10. When her second album came out I had no interest in it since I was listening to metal, punk, and some emo stuff.

35 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Nickleback's girlfriend? 

*Wife. For a time.

Anyway, the most "entertainment" I ever got from her is apparently she did that "I don't like your boyfriend" in a BUNCH of languages, so there was compilation of it in the early days of YouTube with all of them.  It made me chuckle.  So much work.  Such a bad song.

9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Brilliant, a guilty pleasure of mine.

The tunes are really infectious, the sort of thing that just runs through your head all day and won't leave.

Same here. I agree that there's also something nostalgic about her music that makes her new songs as enjoyable as the old ones.  She's still going strong after 20 years, so I must not be the only one that's a fan. 10/10.

I know who she is and I remember her being a pretty big deal, but I couldn't name a single song off the top of my head.  I had to click on a few of the YouTube videos above as a reminder.  There are a few songs I enjoy, but it's the type of music that I can listen to if it's on the radio, but I don't believe I've ever voluntarily selected one of her songs to listen to.