IGNORED

VGS Homebrew Almanac

Scrobins

So, I assume a game such as Kudzu is considered "homebrew"? Although it's an official commercial release it's not licensed by Nintendo for the Gameboy, and of course Nintendo is no longer licensing any games for the Gameboy... so be default any NES, SNES, Gameboy, other-retro-system is a "homebrew" unless it's a re-release?

Also, are there any good sites for homebrew reviews? They're really quite scare, which is a shame.

Moderator · Posted
18 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So, I assume a game such as Kudzu is considered "homebrew"? Although it's an official commercial release it's not licensed by Nintendo for the Gameboy, and of course Nintendo is no longer licensing any games for the Gameboy... so be default any NES, SNES, Gameboy, other-retro-system is a "homebrew" unless it's a re-release?

Also, are there any good sites for homebrew reviews? They're really quite scare, which is a shame.

The debate over what to call aftermarket games has only grown more complicated as companies like Mega Cat receive more investment or industry vets like Yuzo Koshiro jump back into the scene.

I personally like “homebrew” because it reflects where the scene originated, even if there’s a lot more nuance to it today. I don’t know how much anything can be called official without Nintendo, Sega, etc.’s blessing, but then again, some homebrews’ addition to the Switch certainly makes things interesting.

That's all to say I don’t think I or anyone can definitively answer the question.

Truthfully, I don’t look too hard at people’s reviews. Most folks either aren’t critical at all or are cynically mean just for the likes. I suppose there are some with whom you read between the lines with whom they don’t cover. I recognize that my blog’s reviews are pretty sunny, but I also only pick games that interest me and involve developers I really want to interview. If I think a game is bad, I’m just not going to cover it.

I do think that Retro Break on YouTube is very honest with his review videos, and our own @ecmyers has a great channel; while he doesn’t do reviews exactly, I think he gives thoughtful feedback on games during his livestreams.

I hope that helps!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Dead Tomb for the NES is back on shelves in limited supply as the first offering of 8-Bit Legit, a collaboration between Retrotainment Games and Mega Cat Studios.

Back on shelves isn’t the best way to describe this, this is a pre-order to ship Q3 according to the site. I’m tired of crowdfunding so I’m skipping this. Maybe they will have some extras when it comes out. Thanks for letting others know though in case they wanna grab one!

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
Just now, a3quit4s said:

Back on shelves isn’t correct, this is a pre-order to ship Q3 according to the site. I’m tired of crowdfunding so I’m skipping this. Maybe they will have some extras when it comes out. Thanks for letting others know though in case they wanna grab one!

I’m just calling it back on the shelves because I don’t feel like taking a game back and forth between these two threads over and over. It is a pre-order, but it isn’t crowdfunding and at the moment it is just for a limited number of copies. I doubt the 300 will be gobbled up quickly though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

I’m just calling it back on the shelves because I don’t feel like taking a game back and forth between these two threads over and over. It is a pre-order, but it isn’t crowdfunding and at the moment it is just for a limited number of copies. I doubt the 300 will be gobbled up quickly though.

I'm curious to see how this does, and wishing them success with their first cartridge run. They're currently at 234 copies remaining "in stock" so there will be time to grab one if they get low and you're overtaken by FOMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Is there any significant amount of disc-based homebrew releases? Or is it still few and far between?

There’s a handful of PS1 homebrew, and an increasing amount of Saturn homebrew, though disc publications are rare. Dreamcast homebrew and physical releases are plentiful however.