IGNORED

Are we on the brink of World War III?

RH

WW III  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are we on the brink of World War III?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Well fuck. At this point, you would need to be stupid to join or even remain in the Russian military.

I doubt they have much choice since conscription is the law - supposedly they only have to serve for a year but then they go in the reserves where they can get called up.  And I imagine the length of service can arbitrarily be extended by the authorities on a whim

• Agree 2

Wow nice reddit, went skimming it a bit.  Saw a before and follow up after post that was worth enjoying.  Russian chopper the regulars painted onto the beam towards the rear rotor 'onward to berlin' and a few hours later the remains of the same chopper in pieces on the ground.  Seems to me there's either bravado, stupidity, both...maybe the larger intent of the desire of their forces to start coming at NATO.

17 hours ago, Link said:

I read the speech and then read the comments. Then I clicked around the homepage and read some of the other things they posted on their website. Certainly quite an interesting place for interesting people to congregate on the internet.

That puts it as lightly as possible.

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I read the speech and then read the comments. Then I clicked around the homepage and read some of the other things they posted on their website. Certainly quite an interesting place for interesting people to congregate on the internet.

That puts it as lightly as possible.

Oh, that website is dodgy and ad-ridden af. It just happens to be a link that somebody posted in a discussion elsewhere, and I hadn't seen other reporting of what Putin has told the people of Russia. 

If you can believe Bloomberg, the same transcript is there; otherwise take your pick of sources

I respect your internet literacy. Skepticism is warranted and I wish more people would employ it (intelligently, not attacking the source of every story in the mainstream media just because)

US thinks Russia will lean into nuclear threat as invasion drags on

https://thehill.com/policy/international/russia/598825-us-thinks-russia-would-lean-into-nuclear-threat-as-invasion-drags

In the report, Berrier said the order and other comments from Moscow touting its nuclear arsenal “are likely intended to intimidate.”

He added the comments reflect Russia’s view that the threat of nuclear weapons could either compel an adversary to negotiate an end to the conflict on terms favorable to Moscow, or deter other parties from entering the war as progress elsewhere stalls. 

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has entered its 23rd day, and the U.S. fears that it will escalate its attacks on Ukraine despite the unexpected resistance it has received.

5 hours ago, Link said:

Oh, that website is dodgy and ad-ridden af. It just happens to be a link that somebody posted in a discussion elsewhere, and I hadn't seen other reporting of what Putin has told the people of Russia. 

If you can believe Bloomberg, the same transcript is there; otherwise take your pick of sources

I respect your internet literacy. Skepticism is warranted and I wish more people would employ it (intelligently, not attacking the source of every story in the mainstream media just because)

Oh I know the transcript is accurate, probably one of the few things on that website that is. What's unfortunate is that the comments responding to his speech probably echo how a large portion (the pro Putin portion anyways) of how Russians feel on the matter. There's plenty enough that are ready and willing to go down with their economic ship as it comes closer to it.

• Like 1

Wow that Putin speech, he does paint a unique picture of what his mind feels versus reality.  And to think that's what he's peddling on his state run media with the alternative being censorship and 15 year prison sentences.  I don't see that ending well, especially when he considers the former Russian stolen soviet states as mere territories and puppets of the west out to get them.  He's playing the Hitler card, delusionally claiming that Crimea wanted to be taken, etc... Vladof Putler needs a reality check. Clearly he does not like NATO, total threat given is alliances stand in opposition of what he likes.

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think if he uses a tactical nuke, the war is over. We're aren't going to get into a nuclear war w Russia with Biden in office. If Trump was there maybe but NATO is completely backing down to any use of nukes.

I think you're way underestimating things. Biden and NATO are taking this very seriously. If Putin is crazy enough to use a nuke, I'm confident NATO would respond, and that would lead us right to the brink of WWIII. No one knows what will happen, and personally I think Putin is more apt to use biological or chemical weapons.

Screenshot-from-2022-03-24-15-24-07.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/us/politics/biden-russia-nuclear-weapons.html

NATO’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, underscored the urgency of the preparation effort on Wednesday, telling reporters for the first time that even if the Russians employ weapons of mass destruction only inside Ukraine, they may have “dire consequences” for people in NATO nations. He appeared to be discussing the fear that chemical or radioactive clouds could drift over the border. One issue under examination is whether such collateral damage would be considered an “attack” on NATO under its charter, which might require a joint military response.

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

One would hope the inner circle of Putin has enough sense to not endanger the human race because they're afraid to disobey him

That of course is the scary part. I really don't know what a crazy person like Putin is capable of... actually I do know. Putin is not afraid to sacrifice pretty much anyone under the Sun for his personal gains. He really is like Hitler in many ways. Thank goodness the USA and NATO has nuclear weapons, otherwise I have no doubts Putin would have invaded much of Europe long ago. As for his inner circle, I read they're a bunch of yes-men all scared of Putin, and well, I would certainly believe that.

47 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I think you're way underestimating things. Biden and NATO are taking this very seriously. If Putin is crazy enough to use a nuke, I'm confident NATO would respond, and that would lead us right to the brink of WWIII. No one knows what will happen, and personally I think Putin is more apt to use biological or chemical weapons.

Screenshot-from-2022-03-24-15-24-07.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/us/politics/biden-russia-nuclear-weapons.html

NATO’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, underscored the urgency of the preparation effort on Wednesday, telling reporters for the first time that even if the Russians employ weapons of mass destruction only inside Ukraine, they may have “dire consequences” for people in NATO nations. He appeared to be discussing the fear that chemical or radioactive clouds could drift over the border. One issue under examination is whether such collateral damage would be considered an “attack” on NATO under its charter, which might require a joint military response.

US / NATO get involved and then what? It's literally an invitation to get nuked. Putan has an army that can barely defend against farms with rocket launchers. You think he'll even think for a second to put them up against the strongest military force in the history of the planet? No way, he'll just press the big red, dusty ol' "Nuke the US button" sitting on his desk before getting into a ground war with any real world power. 

History is on his side two. After the last two nukes went off, the winners were the ones who dropped em. There's little incentive for him not to drop one imo.

2 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

US / NATO get involved and then what? It's literally an invitation to get nuked. Putan has an army that can barely defend against farms with rocket launchers. You think he'll even think for a second to put them up against the strongest military force in the history of the planet? No way, he'll just press the big red, dusty ol' "Nuke the US button" sitting on his desk before getting into a ground war with any real world power. 

History is on his side two. After the last two nukes went off, the winners were the ones who dropped em. There's little incentive for him not to drop one imo.

I hope you're right, but when you have crazy unstable people with delusions of grandeur, anything is possible. Putin may think to himself "fuck it, if I'm going down I'm taking the world with me!" - truly hope that is not the scenario, but I was "amused" by all of the people who were saying "Putin is rational, he's not going to invade Ukraine, it's just for show and to get concessions"... boy, some people sure are naive. Crazy people do not think rationally, and Putin, is crazy.

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I hope you're right, but when you have crazy unstable people with delusions of grandeur, anything is possible. Putin may think to himself "fuck it, if I'm going down I'm taking the world with me!" - truly hope that is not the scenario, but I was "amused" by all of the people who were saying "Putin is rational, he's not going to invade Ukraine, it's just for show and to get concessions"... boy, some people sure are naive. Crazy people do not think rationally, and Putin, is crazy.

I'm with ya I really think people underestimate Putin's sanity. The guy has stolen hundreds of billions of dollars while his country has a smaller GDP than Florida's. Clearly he has no sense of morals, no shame or self perception.

He's 100% irrational and I hope I'm wrong but unless talks happen soon about some concessions made by Ukraine, there will be a nuclear attack. In his eyes, might makes right and his military s ground forces are not the might the world thought they were but those missiles are. He even shot that hypersonic one to show the west that he had the capacity to fire a near range nuke that would avoid most* missile defense systems since it goes 10x the speed of light. 

I hate to be cynical but the longer the wars goes on, the worse the outcome is going to be. I cannot see Putin accepting a lose on this one. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

He even shot that hypersonic one to show the west that he had the capacity to fire a near range nuke that would avoid most* missile defense systems since it goes 10x the speed of light.

You meant the speed of sound of course, but yeah you're absolutely right he just wanted to show it off and make a threat, because he's a small man. Insignificant really, he can't handle that.

Also, I did read that they travel at about 5x sound speed, which is still incredible. If we get laser defense system operational, they in principle would be able to shoot just about anything down, but of course, they are still some years away.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-urges-halt-russias-assault-013425464.html

In other words, Russia plans to retreat and just focus on the Donbas. He will never concede defeat, but he would totally spin a small victory as the whole purpose of the invasion in the first place. It's a shame so many Ukranians has to have their homes razed first though.

That would be sort of ideal, not sure Ukraine would want to lose another chunk of land to those assholes though.  I mean when is enough too much?  The losses to them aside, it is amusing to see how much the russians are just getting wrecked given their so called superiority.  Superpower of the last century they most definitely are not anymore if Ukraine can make them look ridiculous.