IGNORED

Are we on the brink of World War III?

RH

WW III  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are we on the brink of World War III?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Californication said:

It only makes sense if the probability of nuclear war is higher than the probability of the downside of holding the stocks. 

You're acting as if there's some sort of middle ground between world war and no world war.  If there's no world war, what happens in the Ukraine from the perspective of investors in the western world is largely irrelevant; if there is a world war, Putin will be unleashing his full arsenal, and what we peons have decided to do with our stocks won't matter.  So I say, the advice is logically sound....  😛

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You're acting as if there's some sort of middle ground between world war and no world war.  If there's no world war, what happens in the Ukraine from the perspective of investors in the western world is largely irrelevant; if there is a world war, Putin will be unleashing his full arsenal, and what we peons have decided to do with our stocks won't matter.  So I say, the advice is logically sound....  😛

But world war is not the only systemic risk to the financial system.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Degrees of magnitude, my friend.  Agree to disagree...  🙂

For sure. I mean if that message to investors was specifically for Ukrainian investments or for people taking losses because of the Russian currency it would make sense.

If that is a message to shareholders in the U.S. as a blanket message on why they should be bullish, that statement doesn't make sense. It would make more sense if they just said war is good for the U.S. economy be bullish.

'Capable of anything': How the '99 apartment bombings explain Putin's rise and regime

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-1999-apartment-bombings-ukraine-175001959.html

There is “no serious doubt that Putin came to power as the result of an act of terror against his own people,” says David Satter, who has investigated the apartment bombings perhaps more thoroughly than any other Western journalist. “Someone capable of such a crime is capable of anything,” Satter told Yahoo News in a telephone conversation from Paris. “And the proper attitude towards him is deterrence, not partnership.”

Russian investigators and journalists who tried to investigate the bombings often ended up dead. Among them was Anna Politkovskaya, a fearless critic of Putin who worked for Novaya Gazeta, one of the last remaining left-leaning outlets in Moscow today. She aggressively covered the Second Chechen War; in 2006, Politkovskaya was assassinated in her apartment building’s elevator.

e2509de0-9d63-11ec-b8ba-b51bc0c305b8.web

“Every American president has gotten Putin wrong,” says Satter, who in 2014 earned the distinction of being the first Western journalist since the end of the Cold War to have been expelled from Russia. “Some have gotten him outrageously wrong."

He says one thing, does another, and the press seems a bit concerned to be really honest about what's going on in respect to civilians.  That pricks army has been doing this consistently from the get go.  Anyone who hasn't left is a target clearly given enough of their so called military targets have been apartments, civil business, even that holocaust memorial of all things.  And yet, no one is still willing to put their own boots on the ground along with the large amounts of hardware.  I'm not saying full on conflict, but some should go in, special ops, help train the use of this advanced hardware and maybe covertly do as they do.

• Agree 1

We are aiding the Ukrainians as best we can... keep in mind we (USA) did NOT "officially" get involved in WWII until after Pearl Harbor, but of course we were helping the allies with aid far before that.

Pentagon: 'Vast majority' of $350M in lethal aid to Ukraine has been delivered

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/596935-pentagon-vast-majority-of-350m-in-lethal-aid-to-ukraine-has-been-delivered

The U.S. has contributed more than $1 billion to help Ukraine’s military over the past year and has pledged more as Russia’s violent attack on the country drags on.

I certainly hope not. But with the ban on Russian oil, and the west freezing out business in Russia something has to give. It all comes down to one actor really, can he bend? Can he break? I don't usually share political opinions but anyone who doesn't have a problem with this situation I don't understand you at all. Kane, the pro wrestler and mayor came out in support of Russia with a "might is right" tweet and that was really gross to read. 

The economy also is in correction, which is a fun way of saying things are not going so.well, and that has people nervous (of course). 

You have to admire the Ukrainian president for his reaction to all of this, seems he really loves his country and he is fighting one hell of an uphill battle. Don't see him being alive for much longer though :(. 

Nothing is okay about this situation.  

54 minutes ago, Fryer64 said:

You have to admire the Ukrainian president for his reaction to all of this, seems he really loves his country and he is fighting one hell of an uphill battle. Don't see him being alive for much longer though :(. 

I really hope he lives to continue to serve the people of Ukraine and be a symbol of democracy - quite honestly, I do not remember the last person who was a true symbol of democracy. Perhaps Ronald Reagan? Mind you, there are many things that RR did I do not approve of, but nevertheless he WAS a symbol of democracy during the Cold War, and Zelensky is now a symbol during Cold War II.

Should he be killed murdered by the Russians, he will be a martyr and only inspire others. I believe he knows that, and I'm sure the piece of shite responsible for this, who shall not be named, knows this too.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fryer64 said:

I certainly hope not. But with the ban on Russian oil, and the west freezing out business in Russia something has to give. It all comes down to one actor really, can he bend? Can he break? I don't usually share political opinions but anyone who doesn't have a problem with this situation I don't understand you at all. Kane, the pro wrestler and mayor came out in support of Russia with a "might is right" tweet and that was really gross to read. 

The economy also is in correction, which is a fun way of saying things are not going so.well, and that has people nervous (of course). 

Odds are, no, unless the military takes him out in a coup or the public, both...  It's sad, but in Putin's mind he's pretty much his own little emperor there and everyone has to do as he commands and wills it, meat for the grinder with a huge propaganda machine.  It's disturbingly similar to a mix of both Hirohito and Hitler.  Both basically wanted divine worship, both controlled the media, silenced or killed dissent, and were paranoid about what was going to happen or about what did.

In the case of it, I'm thinking more like Japan and how the US and allies cut off their oil supplies piece by piece until Japan saw eventual financial, military, and physical starvation along with a likely potential population uprising.  That's where Putin is right now, and like both those big axis idiots, he is willing to take down whoever it is in the way in order to maintain power, maintain face, and just not be wrong in the eyes of HIS own public.

To the nazis you had your jews, to the japanese you had the barbaric rapey americans, and to the russians now you have supposed genocide and nazis killing their own on their own(hah, so called) soil. They're firing up a base, and the more they get punched the more they'll in time crack and punch back.

4 hours ago, Fryer64 said:

I know, that dude is one tough cookie!  Apparently he's of the old naval tradition of captain goes down with his ship...though hopefully it won't come to that.

But seriously, should Ukraine ultimately prevail in all this (and I believe they will) that dude will be right up there with Lincoln...you know, saving his country at its darkest hour?  Let's just hope he doesn't get the same kind of ending though!

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

I really hope he lives to continue to serve the people of Ukraine and be a symbol of democracy - quite honestly, I do not remember the last person who was a true symbol of democracy. Perhaps Ronald Reagan? Mind you, there are many things that RR did I do not approve of, but nevertheless he WAS a symbol of democracy during the Cold War, and Zelensky is now a symbol during Cold War II.

Should he be killed murdered by the Russians, he will be a martyr and only inspire others. I believe he knows that, and I'm sure the piece of shite responsible for this, who shall not be named, knows this too.

Dude, he's way past Reagan.  He'll be right up there with Lincoln (though without the getting shot in the head part I hope!) should he and Ukraine indeed prevail in their country's darkest hour...and I believe in the end they will.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I know, that dude is one tough cookie!  Apparently he's of the old naval tradition of captain goes down with his ship...though hopefully it won't come to that.

But seriously, should Ukraine ultimately prevail in all this (and I believe they will) that dude will be right up there with Lincoln...you know, saving his country at its darkest hour?  Let's just hope he doesn't get the same kind of ending though!

Tldr *insert curse word here and then say Russia*

From what I've read he's already survived 3 assassination attempts. (To be 100% fair that in and of itself could be propaganda) It's very inspiring to see a president/leader be so close to the action, or heck, not somewhere far away where no harm can be done hiding.  Although I really don't wanna see any harm come to such a passionate person who loves their country, mixed feelings there. 

Either way this can't be tolerated.  As much as I'm annoyed how much I spent on gas today, I understand it. I also read today that Putin wanted to restore relations to something like cold War relations, which is pretty depressing. 

I've seen online comments saying u.s companies pulling out of Russia has no effect, because it's not necessarily a needed commodity we provide, i couldn't argue stronger that this is far from the truth. Don't believe that? Read this.  (Not saying anyone here thinks that just straw-manning a bit)  https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/imports/united-states

The mcdonalds and Starbucks of the world will pull out, yes, but that's never a good look for any country, then again nationalism/propaganda usually wins out when the truth is very difficult to obtain.  The Russian state spins propaganda VERY well, but what happens when you lose those things, along with Apple phones, certain websites,  proprietary computer software, what do you think runs through the average everyday Russians head? Although I'd bargain that this has been spun as well, (America, district 11, the big rock candy moutain, or whatever/whoever is hell bent on destroying Russia!) Some people in Russia have to know whats going on. Its just NOT a good idea to say that out loud for someone under the regime.  Interestingly, the chess community is sorta fascinating right now with how the russian grandmasters are fielding these questions regarding the war. Oh, and The fact they call it a liberation vs an actual war shows how deep state propaganda can be. But if you think our way of life has changed, ask Ukraine, and then Russia.  

But often times, it's never good to corner a politician, (in this case a wild beast) and expect them to bring any kind of good will to the bargaining table. I'd like to avoid world War 3 but no one should be forced to give up things unprovoked without a better reason then we will destroy your country. Does that sound like a bully?

So basically their currency just keeps getting worse, gas keeps getting higher around the world, and free people are facing aggression and a hostile takeover from the world's biggest narcissist. Crimea wasn't enough, who's to say it stops at Ukraine? Georgia was part of the ussr and it would be much more difficult for the world to help location wise.. Basically then what? 

Ugly world right now, and sadly video game prices going into insane new heights are starting to look really good compared to other bad news. 

Edited by Fryer64

Hundreds of people from France to Saudi Arabia have inquired about this 'luxury' bomb shelter that costs up to $500,000 since Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Screenshot-from-2022-03-14-15-42-52.png

The company's founder Mathieu Séranne said he has received 500 bomb shelter inquiries over the past two weeks. According to screenshots viewed by Insider, the company has received 30 requests in the past 24 hours.

Sure, why not! Might as well go out in style.

35 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Hundreds of people from France to Saudi Arabia have inquired about this 'luxury' bomb shelter that costs up to $500,000 since Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Screenshot-from-2022-03-14-15-42-52.png

The company's founder Mathieu Séranne said he has received 500 bomb shelter inquiries over the past two weeks. According to screenshots viewed by Insider, the company has received 30 requests in the past 24 hours.

Sure, why not! Might as well go out in style.

Heh - downscale!

https://survivalcondo.com/