IGNORED

The bitterness or resentment towards other collectors over time, where do you fall? What have you observed?

I figured this would be an interesting (and hopefully not overly controversial given the demographic here) topic to discuss. We all likely have our own groups, connections and exposures when it comes to this hobby, and I'm curious what perspective others have with how things are today versus how they were prior, or anything else you might decide you'd feel like discussing that might fit.

For me, it's been an interesting road as a collector. I started maybe 13 years ago give or take. When I began, the first game I picked up was a boxed Kirby Superstar for the SNES and an unboxed SNES. I still had some systems at the time ranging from N64 to the 360 gen stuff, but prior stuff I had sold due to financial need (I'm sure most of us have been there). When I began I had a vague vision that I wanted all games I'd find interesting along with boxes for the display aesthetic, as well as of course having them look presentable, but it was always important to aim for ideal setups to play as well. What this meant was that I was now a "CIB' collector, and I avoided greatest hits stuff for uniformity. Basically, display was always a big part of my collecting due to wanting the area to look nice (I keep a nice home in general or try to), but play was equally important. Over time upscalers, wireless pads for old systems and other cool advances have made the hobby easier to digest and enjoy, which had led me to where I am today. Not done but pretty happy with where I am, for much of my life this stuff was always 'junk' to many, even now a lot of stuff is classed as such until it becomes valuable, but I've always been driven by want of the game and not other variables, so what does all of this have to do with the topic?

From the start I've faced various opposition from people of all sorts, sealed collectors who look down on non sealed, variant collectors, as well as the common 'you'll never get anywhere with your preference' sorts who want to make a sale, but over time I stuck to my course and enjoyed seeing other people do what they do. I find I can see people who collect differently than me and still enjoy their path while not personally wanting to partake, if nothing else we all had a common goal of sorts. We wanted to own stuff that comes from a place of true passion for something, which to me adds to the appeal of it all.

In more recent times though I've noticed an interesting shift within various communities where people are filled with hate or resentment towards collectors. Specifically, a lot of people who didn't care about this stuff 5, 10 or 15 years ago, suddenly care but have found that the market is pretty volatile due to diminishing inventory, artificial inflation tactics, social media hype, etc. The interesting result is that people who have cared for a long time, are told by people who only recently began to care that they somehow have more a right to it because.. They want it. They'll bash on collectors but if you mention other, very good avenues they can use to play they will get angry because they want the same stuff we want too, and are just upset because they are being priced out.

While I have had many positive and great experiences over the course, it's always been interesting to me to see how much hate gets flung around over something that is pretty silly. I myself have a ton of opinions, I don't like sealed games, variants, grading and what not. In terms of collectors, 'hype' buyers who only care about something once it becomes valuable (I recall being made fun of for buying 'junky' games that were only worth 10-20 bucks, which is not the case now) and plenty of other sorts can be frustrating but they're also free to live as they please. So all the prestige and other oddness is something I don't care about but still choose to observe and learn about so I understand where others come from. It's all become kind of a hazy mess where It's not always easy to have civil, enthusiastic discourse. 

A lot of writing there but it's a pretty open ended topic, I'd love to see what other people think or have experienced in regards to either their opinions to other collectors or, the opinions of others and how it's shifted.

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I have rarely cared much about what other people (including game collectors) think of me about much of anything.  

And I don't really give much thought as to what other people collect (occasionally I may wish I could find one of something they have) or why.  I sometimes ponder why people collect sealed games they can never play - but if that is what floats their boats more power to them - more of a random casual thought rather than any expression towards them.   

The best part of collecting is that you can collect whatever you like - and by its very nature your collection is at some point going to be unique for whatever pieces you have filled it with. 

I have mostly been a passive collector in that most of my stuff was purchased at a time when it was just stuff I found in the used game stores.  What collecting i do these days is mostly for the switch - and I only buy things I will (or plan to anyway) I eventually play.  So not really sure if that makes me a collector for them or not.

I do like the fact that I can tap in to the switch thread for news on new releases I might like - so some folks here are a great source of information.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 3

As one of the resident Sega-likers, my collection is starting to look lopsided toward Sega despite starting my collecting hobby almost exclusively with Nintendo. There are times I feel the peer pressure to pause my Sega collecting goals and I begin diverging my collecting funds toward the Nintendo stuff that I want so I can keep a more even balance. 

I have a lot of cool Sega and Atari stuff, but sometimes I feel like someone will see my collection and ignore those, see that one glaring omission, and be like “You don’t have ‘x NES game’ yet?!” Though when it comes to the gold standard NES/SNES stuff that is playable via a variety of ways I’d rather hold out for a really nice copy anyway, so there are some glaring gaps in my collection that are sitting on my eBay watchlist instead.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Strange said:

As one of the resident Sega-likers, my collection is starting to look lopsided toward Sega despite starting my collecting hobby almost exclusively with Nintendo. There are times I feel the peer pressure to pause my Sega collecting goals and I begin diverging my collecting funds toward the Nintendo stuff that I want so I can keep a more even balance. 

I have a lot of cool Sega and Atari stuff, but sometimes I feel like someone will see my collection and ignore those, see that one glaring omission, and be like “You don’t have ‘x NES game’ yet?!” Though when it comes to the gold standard NES/SNES stuff that is playable via a variety of ways I’d rather hold out for a really nice copy anyway, so there are some glaring gaps in my collection that are sitting on my eBay watchlist instead.

I actually have a similar issue, though I don't have many glaring omissions in the traditional sense, my NES/GB/SNES sets are very weak in contrast to my Sega/Xbox/Atari/PS stuff, but a lot of that just is a money thing. Sega is a company I adore though and I definitely keep their spirit alive through the hobby. The interesting thing is if I find 3 more GG titles, I will likely never buy a Sega based console title again, which is exciting but kind of sad too since I miss em.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

In game collecting?  No.  This is the greatest hobby ever.  I'm too busy enjoying everything to have time for negative thoughts.

Are there individuals out there that are resentful towards me and my collecting or whatever?  Besides my wife I mean 😂.  I don't know.  Seems like a them problem.

Don't get me wrong, because I have plenty of resentment for certain individuals in other avenues of life that are outside of the gaming scene.  So I don't want to come off all high and pious.  Do me dirty will they!! 😆

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Here's an example.  There is a guy I know who gets pretty awesome finds.  After one of them I felt a twinge of jealousy.  But as I kept watching the pickup video, I started to realize that a) his positive attitude about everything was infectious and you can't help but root for him b) I have everything in life and really shouldn't feel entitled to his tiny bit of good luck over some trivial thing like that.

Those are much more constructive feelings.

This isn't anyone we know btw.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Besides my wife I mean

Just started dating a woman here in my new city and we went to a game store, I bought something, and it went well. That’s always a good milestone in the dating scene these days 😂

Edited by Strange
Love it when I fat-finger a stupid typo
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 2

My journey to start a graded collection of any kind started in mid-December, 2011. And the real reason why I am seeing any progress (goal-wise) now is its own topic.

So skipping that I will state my first two submissions to CAS are not my first two pick-ups. They ended up being my "PSone Books" variant of Dragon Quest VII and my "Japanese" variant of Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2. The first one was going to be submitted to CAS regardless of who got to grade the second one. Beyond that the bigger hurdle I face is trying to complete as much of my goal as possible. Sure, the lack of inclusivity here for me tends to tire out my enthusiasm. But realistically, it is miles better being here than it was for me in other fandoms. So even as I sit here questioning if, or when, I can get all of my games graded... If I want to have them all graded... A part of me hopes that me not being like every other collector here will be one of those things I need in life.

As for any resentment... I have none here.

To be honest I am more afraid of being a jerk to anybody here than anything else. So instead I try to look for ideas on what I should hunt down, how I want to display my small collection, In the end I am done collecting everything I wanted in regards to Phantasy Star Online. Plus I am also pondering the idea of giving Pokemon another chance since I feel like Atlus failed me for the last time. But when it comes to Dragon Quest... Lets just say that a lot of people here have been very helpful in their own ways. At this point I have both games being submitted with me looking at a list questioning which would be next. Because the biggest hurdle I am facing is both the fate of my CIB (Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary) and the lack of the final three games I need to "complete" that set. Something that I should conclude once those games are returned with what I hope are high grades.

In the end all I can say is that my biggest hurdle being here is that nobody really knows me here. But I will take that over what I faced elsewhere. And hope to have that change in the next few months.

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

My collecting scene experience consists almost entirely of these jokers here.  I’ve never interacted with another collector in real life.  I joined NA and PSC in 2013 which is when I started actively collecting after we bought our house.  I don’t agree with everyone on here all the time but I do in fact enjoy the wide range of different kinds of a-holes here.  Except for that one jerk.  

Never been made to feel bad about my little e-peen. 

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

I collect what I collect because it's what I want.  I dont buy stupidly expensive stuff because I'd rather keep building up my savings or pay off debt.  Yeah people might comment on something if it is in poor condition or look down on me because I dont do sealed but I don't care.  I don't get my self-worth from my collection like some other people do.  Lots of snobs on NA and VGS and other forums are just part of any hobby sadly.

Long story short, I generally do not care.  At most I'll roll my eyes and move on

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

My journey to start a graded collection of any kind started in mid-December, 2011. And the real reason why I am seeing any progress (goal-wise) now is its own topic.

So skipping that I will state my first two submissions to CAS are not my first two pick-ups. They ended up being my "PSone Books" variant of Dragon Quest VII and my "Japanese" variant of Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2. The first one was going to be submitted to CAS regardless of who got to grade the second one. Beyond that the bigger hurdle I face is trying to complete as much of my goal as possible. Sure, the lack of inclusivity here for me tends to tire out my enthusiasm. But realistically, it is miles better being here than it was for me in other fandoms. So even as I sit here questioning if, or when, I can get all of my games graded... If I want to have them all graded... A part of me hopes that me not being like every other collector here will be one of those things I need in life.

As for any resentment... I have none here.

To be honest I am more afraid of being a jerk to anybody here than anything else. So instead I try to look for ideas on what I should hunt down, how I want to display my small collection, In the end I am done collecting everything I wanted in regards to Phantasy Star Online. Plus I am also pondering the idea of giving Pokemon another chance since I feel like Atlus failed me for the last time. But when it comes to Dragon Quest... Lets just say that a lot of people here have been very helpful in their own ways. At this point I have both games being submitted with me looking at a list questioning which would be next. Because the biggest hurdle I am facing is both the fate of my CIB (Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary) and the lack of the final three games I need to "complete" that set. Something that I should conclude once those games are returned with what I hope are high grades.

In the end all I can say is that my biggest hurdle being here is that nobody really knows me here. But I will take that over what I faced elsewhere. And hope to have that change in the next few months.

I don't think anyone here really dislikes graded collectors. It's the smarmy cocky "better than you" attitude that some of them have that turns people off, and that doesn't seem to be you. I honestly think this is a very inclusive place, with a low tolerance for douchiness, and a general distaste for those who see the hobby as solely an investment opportunity. 

With regard to people knowing you, that's on you! Post more! If you have cool shit to show off, I'm certainly interested to see it. Maybe consider participating in events like our biweekly game nights, we're not all bad. 😛

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

My collecting scene experience consists almost entirely of these jokers here.  I’ve never interacted with another collector in real life.  I joined NA and PSC in 2013 which is when I started actively collecting after we bought our house.  I don’t agree with everyone on here all the time but I do in fact enjoy the wide range of different kinds of a-holes here.  Except for that one jerk.  

Never been made to feel bad about my little e-peen. 

Same here - people here and on NA were the only people I know who collect games. I don't know anyone non virtually that does this. 

• Like 1

I’ve been collecting for around 10 years, and my journey started with Sega Megadrive, buying bulk lots on eBay because...cheapness is so hard to refuse! But really, I wanted to catchup on childhood nostalgia after having a settled job. Then it quickly carried on to other platforms of Sega and Nintendo around the 90s. Then it blew out to sealed games, then graded games, and now I see myself as a well-rounded collector who still dabbles in bits of CIB, sealed, graded and even Qualified! 

Going on topic, I have 2 general observations over the past decade or so:

1. Video game is progressively more and more socially acceptable. Whether it’s about gaming, collecting, or even investing, it seems to be making more and more sense to people globally. I’m also seeing more acceptance with gamers giving more respect to collectors, particularly in the realms of sealed and graded collecting. In the past, sealed collecting was seen as the pinnacle of niche form of game collecting, but now it’s simply a part of game collecting and perhaps now being seen as more cool to own sealed game(s).

2. The downside to the above, with increased awareness and social acceptance, there seems to be more people involved who are snobbish and arrogant. These types aren’t into fair communication and just live in their own little world that there games are worth x amounts, and not interested in market values of past sales, but only projecting on values of what they could be in the future. Or as buyers, the types who are ultra demanding, disrespectful in their communication, and wanting to be served without hiccups. I call them idiots/asses. Unfortunately, the more popular games become, the more idiocy will lurk and thrive. 

• Like 2

One time I bought Treasure Master for NES everyday for 2 months.  So 61 copies.  So if my neighbor buys a $90k truck that he will never truly use, I cannot judge him.

Sometimes being a collector gives clarity in other aspects of life.  There are tradeoffs everywhere in life.  Owning yours adds to your authenticity. 

I would love to meet someone in real life that understands my collection and gets it.  However, I dont really tell anyone about it for fear of bragging, etc.  I'm not worried about the opposite judgment of it being silly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I don't think anyone here really dislikes graded collectors. It's the smarmy cocky "better than you" attitude that some of them have that turns people off, and that doesn't seem to be you. I honestly think this is a very inclusive place, with a low tolerance for douchiness, and a general distaste for those who see the hobby as solely an investment opportunity. 

With regard to people knowing you, that's on you! Post more! If you have cool shit to show off, I'm certainly interested to see it. Maybe consider participating in events like our biweekly game nights, we're not all bad. 😛

The thing that gets under my skin with some sealed investors is when they come into a collector space and say “Haha you guys are so bad at this” to knowledgeable collectors who have been at it for years because they don’t buy the things that those investors recently stocked their portfolios with.

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Strange said:

The thing that gets under my skin with some sealed investors is when they come into a collector space and say “Haha you guys are so bad at this” to knowledgeable collectors who have been at it for years because they don’t buy the things that those investors recently stocked their portfolios with.

Yeah that'd fall under the douchiness category for sure. 

All types of collectors are welcome here. Jerks, on the other hand... 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I have rarely cared much about what other people (including game collectors) think of me about much of anything.  

Damn straight.  

As far as the question goes, no bitterness or resentment here.   Amazement at times for some of the prices being paid and the things people will buy, but that's about it for feelings.   Also the occasional "oh man" when the guy in front of you at Goodwill has some awesome snags.

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I try not to be because those you have mentioned ruined it for the rest of us. 😩 Plus I want to start a business in (or near) Tokyo. Maybe Osaka. So I need to re-learn how to be a human, and hope to meet the collector behind this video game collection. Which I guess is what you can buy when you do not use HA. 🤔

42 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Ironically, I was going to do a topic involving my collection. But I am holding off on that for technical reasons. And instead plan to give a laid out review of how CAS does when it comes to grading video games. Plus maybe my business start-up campaign. And finally a review of Super Nintendo World (if they allow me back this year).

And yes... If you are a good Gloves I'll try to get you something from their 1UP Factory store. 🙂

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

I try not to be because those you have mentioned ruined it for the rest of us. 😩 Plus I want to start a business in (or near) Tokyo. Maybe Osaka. So I need to re-learn how to be a human, and hope to meet the collector behind this video game collection. Which I guess is what you can buy when you do not use HA. 🤔

Ironically, I was going to do a topic involving my collection. But I am holding off on that for technical reasons. And instead plan to give a laid out review of how CAS does when it comes to grading video games. Plus maybe my business start-up campaign. And finally a review of Super Nintendo World (if they allow me back this year).

And yes... If you are a good Gloves I'll try to get you something from their 1UP Factory store. 🙂

I'm always good! 😮

God I wanna go there so bad. A world away. T_T

• Like 1

I don't hold any anger or resentment towards collectors at all! Fact is, if I were just in my own world collecting games, it would get stale pretty fast. Community is what makes collecting so fun.

@OptOut and I have met up and had numerous fun adventures over the years, and I have another good friend from waaay back in the early 2000s, we met up and have had several great adventures too, despite never having resided on the same continent at any time during our lives.

Then there's the guys I know online, with whom I chat, trade, or even give things to. To me, that's what it's about, sharing stories and information with people that are interested in the same things as you are.

• Like 1