IGNORED

The bitterness or resentment towards other collectors over time, where do you fall? What have you observed?

40 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

I would absolutely buy a game to resell it for large gains unless I actually wanted the game. That's called funding your hobby I say.

It’s called “if I can make money, why not?”

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GPX said:

It’s called “if I can make money, why not?”

As collectors we're not exactly being given charity by others when it comes to this hobby, like you will never find one person who found that 20 dollar steal and in turn gave it to someone else for that to be a chum. We're all used to being fleeced and sometimes you get to be the one doing the fleecing in turn. A big example for me is I don't like collectors editions, I collect on so many systems that the bulk they take is simply too much, so if I do obtain them I do so with the intent to sell them eventually, which works out pretty good often times.

In the end I feel no pity for someone who paid 500 for something I spent 150 on when I in turn spend 300 bucks on a game you may have got for 20, just part of the game. I find I get the bleeding hearts knocking only when they want to buy, but oddly never when they want to sell, then it's just business 🤔 I likely couldn't even quantify the amount of people who yell at me for not purposely making way less than I could when dealing with selling, meanwhile I'm struggling to just buy stuff at fair value these days.

I do recall one instance where a person was pretty generous to me (yes, one after over a decade) and there wasn't even any ignorance on their part, they just thought my goals were cool and hooked me up, even threw in some free stuff when all was said and done. Had that individual been in the hobby and I could hook them up I would have, but otherwise I play the neutral game.

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

As collectors we're not exactly being given charity by others when it comes to this hobby, like you will never find one person who found that 20 dollar steal and in turn gave it to someone else for that to be a chum. We're all used to being fleeced and sometimes you get to be the one doing the fleecing in turn. A big example for me is I don't like collectors editions, I collect on so many systems that the bulk they take is simply too much, so if I do obtain them I do so with the intent to sell them eventually, which works out pretty good often times.

In the end I feel no pity for someone who paid 500 for something I spent 150 on when I in turn spend 300 bucks on a game you may have got for 20, just part of the game. I find I get the bleeding hearts knocking only when they want to buy, but oddly never when they want to sell, then it's just business 🤔 I likely couldn't even quantify the amount of people who yell at me for not purposely making way less than I could when dealing with selling, meanwhile I'm struggling to just buy stuff at fair value these days.

I do recall one instance where a person was pretty generous to me (yes, one after over a decade) and there wasn't even any ignorance on their part, they just thought my goals were cool and hooked me up, even threw in some free stuff when all was said and done. Had that individual been in the hobby and I could hook them up I would have, but otherwise I play the neutral game.

I’d even argue that some of the best part of collecting is when you buy something that is a “bargain” relative to what you can sell it for. The truth is, collecting is inherently linked with the relative market values and numbers and dollars. There’s really no way to get around it without being calculative and seeing dollar signs, particularly in today’s market. 

The other issue is, unless you were born a millionaire, you’re likely to have to buy and flip to keep funding for the damn hobby! My wife would not approve of me spending money purely from work income, and the flipping process is a means of necessity for me (and I’m guessing 99% of us here) to continue to thrive as a collector.

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

I’d even argue that some of the best part of collecting is when you buy something that is a “bargain” relative to what you can sell it for. The truth is, collecting is inherently linked with the relative market values and numbers and dollars. There’s really no way to get around it without being calculative and seeing dollar signs, particularly in today’s market. 

The other issue is, unless you were born a millionaire, you’re likely to have to buy and flip to keep funding for the damn hobby! My wife would not approve of me spending money purely from work income, and the flipping process is a means of necessity for me (and I’m guessing 99% of us here) to continue to thrive as a collector.

Absolutely, I've sold almost 10k worth of stuff this year (very unusual number though, this is from a decades worth of accumulating) and I basically put that all right back into the hobby, actually I've stripped passed that and still well into my own savings. My lady friend is supportive of the habit but I think for her, the fact I have a stopping point, even if it's far off and keep it clean and nice looking keeps her happy with it. If I was just stuffing random stuff everywhere we'd probably have an issue. She did say if I died she planned to keep everything so I guess that's uh, good? 😛

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I also feel differently about that situation but that's not related to being a collector or not so it doesn't really apply to this thread but in that situation I would leave the game there for someone to come along that does collect them. I'd be happy they got a great deal for something they needed. If I'm just going to sell it, there's not really any point in me buying it.

Keep in mind that not everyone is as well off financially as you are.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, drxandy said:

Keep in mind that not everyone is as well off financially as you are.

I'm also assuming he doesn't have to pay for a large soccer mom van, a bunch of private school tuitions, a bunch of ski lessons, swim lessons, a metric ton of food every week, and a mortgage on a house with a ton of bedrooms. 

For many people, funding for silly little dad (or mom) hobbies are about the lowest financial priority, and are better rationalized if they're self-funding.

47 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

If someone is in my circle of friends, either online or off, I always give them a generous deal. I have a few other friends who do the same. It's actually quite odd, as we are the guys in it for the hobby, not the money

Of course.  I'd like to think that's a strength of the community here.  When I bought a bundle of games from gloves recently, I got it for a "bro price" somewhere south of market value.

...but not for peanuts either.  That would be exploitative.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm also assuming he doesn't have to pay for a large soccer mom van, a bunch of private school tuitions, a bunch of ski lessons, swim lessons, a metric ton of food every week, and a mortgage on a house with a ton of bedrooms. 

For many people, funding for silly little dad hobbies are about the lowest financial priority, and are better rationalized if they're self-funding.

Of course.  I'd like to think that's a strength of the community here.  When I bought a bundle of games from gloves recently, I got it for a "bro price" somewhere south of market value.

...but not for peanuts either.  That would be exploitative.

Agree, responsibilities with others will impact on how we spend, obviously along with our disposable income.

“Bros prices” though I think are mainly for less costly items, say 2-3 digits worth. When it gets to the more expensive items, bro relations are likely thrown out the window! 

9 minutes ago, GPX said:

Agree, responsibilities with others will impact on how we spend, obviously along with our disposable income.

“Bros prices” though I think are mainly for less costly items, say 2-3 digits worth. When it gets to the more expensive items, bro relations are likely thrown out the window! 

I consider it a bro move to simply have them willing to part with something tough to get at a fair price tbh lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GPX said:

Depends on the situation and relationships I guess? I've got a mate, I'd offer him a generous bro price on an n64dd and games, based on what I paid, and that a $$$$ item.

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I also feel differently about that situation but that's not related to being a collector or not so it doesn't really apply to this thread but in that situation I would leave the game there for someone to come along that does collect them. I'd be happy they got a great deal for something they needed. If I'm just going to sell it, there's not really any point in me buying it.

I admire your drive to save deals for the collectors who will appreciate them the most.

In a situation like that, though, it would be best to buy the underpriced game, then sell it to an avid collector for a comparably low price. That way you'd be sure it ends up in an honest collector's hands rather than someone who only wants the game for profit.

-CasualCart

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I admire your drive to save deals for the collectors who will appreciate them the most.

In a situation like that, though, it would be best to buy the underpriced game, then sell it to an avid collector for a comparably low price. That way you'd be sure it ends up in an honest collector's hands rather than someone who only wants the game for profit.

-CasualCart

In which case, you can personally call me on my mobile at any time 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Depends on the situation and relationships I guess? I've got a mate, I'd offer him a generous bro price on an n64dd and games, based on what I paid, and that a $$$$ item.

Yes it often depends, but when it comes to truly high end items, I doubt if people will often consider “bro prices”. I mean why would you take a dive in a likely huge profit, only for your “bro” to take that potential profit from you?

I don’t think I’m a greedy person, but I see it all too often in my field of collecting.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:33 AM, fcgamer said:

Now investors, that's a totally different ballgame, as I wouldn't consider them to be collectors. So no problem having anger and resentments towards that group of buffoons and dumbos.

I thought about that, but I wouldn't be buying the same stuff as them even if I could afford it so they really don't affect me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

Yes it often depends, but when it comes to truly high end items, I doubt if people will often consider “bro prices”. I mean why would you take a dive in a likely huge profit, only for your “bro” to take that potential profit from you?

I don’t think I’m a greedy person, but I see it all too often in my field of collecting.

It's not about how greedy a person is, rather how generous a person is 😉

There's some folks in this community who have been very generous to me over the years, and I therefore try to follow suit. Then again I don't offer bro prices, I try to be generous to those who I actually consider to be friends.

• Like 1

While I find investment collectors to be silly, I don't think about them unless they've done something particularly absurd.  It's kind of like those internet videos you see passed around where someone does something crazy/dumb, you laugh at them, and then move on. That might seem malicious but I don't mean it that way. If they didn't have the money to lose, they wouldn't be investing it.

I'm certain people think I'm lame with my cart only,  entirely curated collection. I'm not out to get my hands on everything. I'm out to get my hands on things that are interesting to me.  That's not for everyone, and I understand and will laugh about it along side you because I don't take any of this that seriously.

We gotta realize that we're all involved in an incredibly niche hobby. Getting worked up over superficial details doesn't really do you any good. The people you're potentially alienating might be able to teach you something. Investment collectors can't really teach you anything, because if they knew anything, they wouldn't be spending 9k on Atari Spider-Man. That being said, that purchase may have been a gateway into a appreciation for the medium that they may not have had going in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First post for me.

Typically, not a fan. People should just enjoy the games and not give a damn about others. I know the history of NA and this is the offshoot. Thats cool and all. I want to come here and talk about games and appreciate them.

I know there is an anto-repro stance and all of these things. I know there are sealed collectors. The real ones, to me, are the ones playing games and having fun. Who cares about the others? Play the games, have your fun. Don't let other people ruin your fun.

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

It's not about how greedy a person is, rather how generous a person is 😉

There's some folks in this community who have been very generous to me over the years, and I therefore try to follow suit. Then again I don't offer bro prices, I try to be generous to those who I actually consider to be friends.

I think it also mainly depends on what type of collecting you’re into. For example if you’re a cart collector, then I can imagine it’s a lot easier to do “bro prices”, and easier for someone to let go of a cart. Whereas if it’s a high end new/sealed game worth 4-5 digits, “bro deals” are likely more restrictive/stingier. It’s just reality in a nutshell, hard earned items deserve hard earned cash.

Of course every individual collector will have their own level of flexibility on whoever they make deals with, which is a separate factor to the above.