IGNORED

Game Debate #37: Wii Sports

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I have zero love for these kinds of bundles of lazy minigames. Some of them might be entertaining to play, but then it's usually via the context in which you play it, with a bunch of buddies, rather than to the credit of the game itself.

And even in that situation, there are many much better choices you could go for. Stuff like Wario Ware Smooth Moves or even that Rabbids game are much better bets at waggle party games..
I can't imagine voluntarily putting this on for a single player experience more than once ever.

2/10. I'm sorry.

• Like 1

6/10 it was an okay play to bust out once a year at Christmas for the older family members to play with the younger ones.  Always had an issue with the angle of the tv vs where we sat and how to get things to go straight such as throwing the frisbee or getting a straight shot in golf. Also I have and will always F'ing hate Mii's. Their design just comes off as so lazy and "clean" it comes off as some cheap wooden toy doll from FAO Schwarz you would get from some Great Grandmother. "This is what we used to play with back in the day sonny!" Yea thanks Gram 😒

• Like 1

Let's be honest, people only played this game because it came with the system. I know I would've never bought it on its own. I didn't think it was all that impressive and I never got used to or liked the motion controls th Wii forced on everyone. Wii Sports is, at best, a demo of the shoddy motion controls and I think the games fun lasted me an hour at most in it's total lifespan. 4/10

• Like 2

I give it a 6. It’s like Pong of its time. Anybody can play it and it’s great with friends. I could play/watch it for hours at a party.

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I have and will always F'ing hate Mii's. Their design just comes off as so lazy and "clean"

same

• Like 1

GOAT game for me, 10/10. No shame. It defined an era and revitalized Nintendo home consoles after a decade of duds.

I maxed out my score on Tennis one summer, played golf with my friends for money and bowled with my grandma before she passed. 

I can't even think of a party game that might be a close second. Wii Sports blow the competition out the water. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

GOAT game for me, 10/10. No shame. It defined an era and revitalized Nintendo home consoles after a decade of duds.

I maxed out my score on Tennis one summer, played golf with my friends for money and bowled with my grandma before she passed. 

I can't even think of a party game that might be a close second. Wii Sports blow the competition out the water. 

While I didn't give it a 10, it has it's issues in how it works, but it's basically impossible to argue against that too.  I'd be far more questionable of anyone slapping it with anything under a 6 really as it had quite a few redeeming values.

• Like 2

What are its redeeming values?
I guess it has things you can do in it, but so do most video games.

Going by the meaning of the 1-10 ratings, at least 4 definitely implies a game will still have some redeeming values, while 2 and 3 at least allow for it. I personally went with a 2 because I don't see them personally. I feel like it's a well deserved score. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

What are its redeeming values?
I guess it has things you can do in it, but so do most video games.

Going by the meaning of the 1-10 ratings, at least 4 definitely implies a game will still have some redeeming values, while 2 and 3 at least allow for it. I personally went with a 2 because I don't see them personally. I feel like it's a well deserved score. 🙂 

The meanings of the 1-10 ratings are defined above. This isn't an arbitrary "how good iz da game" scale.

4 means there's better alternatives, just wonder what alternatives do you recommend that are better than Wii Sports in the same genre?

A 2 is recognizing the game has redeeming qualities but you just don't care for the genre, or style of gameplay. Like you can recognize that Fifa is better than Mario Strikers, but you don't care for soccer games so you don't like either of them regardless of the redeeming qualities.

Isn't that exactly the same thing I said in the post you quoted? 🙂 

I actually already dropped a few much better alternatives in my first post in the thread, but overall the Wii has a ton of better alternatives. The platform is completely flooded with waggle minigame bundles like this, and even though a lot of them are shovelware, there are a few of them with qualities of their own.

I want to agree but I can't.  Tennis is a snore and baseball well it wasn't that accurate so it was kind of a swing and a miss if you were going for points.  Golf strangely it worked well, and it was a 3D recreation of the original black box Golf courses too which was cool.  Bowling was the jewel in the end, but even at that, the controls weren't the best but it was enough to enjoy, but forget doing really well unless you could find some way to cheat the swing.

I just don't care for tennis, just bores me even if it does get fast I don't enjoy it.  I won't even bother playing Mario Tennis and I've put some time on that one on Gameboy too, and got stuck with the one that came with Virtual Boy as it was a pack-in.

• Like 1