Jump to content
IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 630/677


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Edit: apparently not, released in 87. Crazy. Never knew about this game until much later in life 

What?  Are you talking about NES Open Tournament Golf?  If so, it was released in September 1991, so basically at the same time as the SNES launch, which factors in heavily as to why it doesn't get the credit it deserves...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AHOY! I've finished Pirates!- this game and uncharted waters are very similar.  For me pirates was harder to get into but after reading about the scoring conditions it's much easier to complete t

Morning everyone qbert is done  

Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix is completed... again. UGH!

Posted Images

Member · Posted
7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What?  Are you talking about NES Open Tournament Golf?  If so, it was released in September 1991, so basically at the same time as the SNES launch, which factors in heavily as to why it doesn't get the credit it deserves...

This is the google result that made me think it was released earlier 

Screenshot_20210404-235840_Google.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This is the google result that made me think it was released earlier 

Yeah google usually gives the first release date for those things. In this case the 1987 date corresponds to the FDS release. The US version released in 1991 as Dr. Morbis said.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, WashYourFace said:

10 games down on Bases Loaded IV. This is soooooo boring.

Day 7 - 20 games down. The number of games beaten goes up slowly. But every game feels the same. I'm starting to lose track of days now. I have to remind myself to mark when the sun comes out, so I can keep track of the time. I've drawn crude pictures of my family, so I remember what they look like. I almost forgot about little Timmy. I often want to give up, but the only way I make it out of here is to beat the game. I'll keep going.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 5:54 PM, WashYourFace said:

Day 7 - 20 games down. The number of games beaten goes up slowly. But every game feels the same. I'm starting to lose track of days now. I have to remind myself to mark when the sun comes out, so I can keep track of the time. I've drawn crude pictures of my family, so I remember what they look like. I almost forgot about little Timmy. I often want to give up, but the only way I make it out of here is to beat the game. I'll keep going.

35 games down. They say that means I'm halfway. But half of zero is still zero. Half of infinity is still infinity.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

Looks like we've hit the usual mid-spring lull. Most of the remaining games are bad, slogs, or bad slogs. However, titles like 3D Worldrunner, Crash 'n the Boys, and Werewolf aren't too rough.

I haven't being been playing anything on NES lately, but I have been continuing to spend many hours researching Famicom stuff on Yahoo. I'd like to put together a rarity guide for Famicom carts eventually (but probably not until I finish getting all the carts myself first).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we've reached the point where all the low-hanging fruit is gone. Everything left has at least two out of three strikes on it: hard, long, and/or unpopular. I am now 2/3s of the way through All-Pro Basketball. But this is the last game on the board that I know I can beat. I'll need to find a couple of first-time clears if I can reach  my personal goal of 5000 lifetime points this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scaryice said:

Looks like we've hit the usual mid-spring lull. Most of the remaining games are bad, slogs, or bad slogs. However, titles like 3D Worldrunner, Crash 'n the Boys, and Werewolf aren't too rough.

I haven't being been playing anything on NES lately, but I have been continuing to spend many hours researching Famicom stuff on Yahoo. I'd like to put together a rarity guide for Famicom carts eventually (but probably not until I finish getting all the carts myself first).

I don't think there's anything left that I've finished before. I've been mostly playing SNES games lately and have barely played any NES in the last month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
9 hours ago, scaryice said:

Looks like we've hit the usual mid-spring lull. Most of the remaining games are bad, slogs, or bad slogs. However, titles like 3D Worldrunner, Crash 'n the Boys, and Werewolf aren't too rough.

I took a stab at 3D Worldrunner, just to see what the lives/continues were like, since the game didn't look TOO tough. Then I realized that when you lose all your lives there are no continues and you start back at the beginning. So yeah...I gave up on that one. The beginning doesn't look too tough, and the bosses actually seem like...the easiest part of the game. But trying to get through so many levels of that chaos in 3 lives (plus whatever bonuses, if any, you can find) seemed like quite the task.

Interestingly enough, I have also been considering Werewolf as well. I popped it in once a few months ago and tried it out and man, the controls are ROUGH. It's on my "to-beat" list though since the graphics look cool and it seems like a decently designed game, but the controls are holding me back from putting any real time into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Then I realized that when you lose all your lives there are no continues and you start back at the beginning. So yeah...I gave up on that one.

You can hold down A and press start to continue.  Since it's written in the manual, I think it would be acceptable to use it for this thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Alpha Mission and Silkworm are coming up soon in the weekly contests.

I played around with silkworm when I loaded all the contest games to my flashcart and it seemed really fun. Also didnt seem like it was as insanely difficult as most of the remaining list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I played around with silkworm when I loaded all the contest games to my flashcart and it seemed really fun. Also didnt seem like it was as insanely difficult as most of the remaining list. 

The last level is known for being very hard compared to the rest of the game. I believe the jeep is considered to be the easier option to beat the game with, because it works better for the end.

 

4 hours ago, Red said:

You can hold down A and press start to continue.  Since it's written in the manual, I think it would be acceptable to use it for this thread.

Yep, that's totally fine!

 

6 hours ago, Khromak said:

Interestingly enough, I have also been considering Werewolf as well. I popped it in once a few months ago and tried it out and man, the controls are ROUGH. It's on my "to-beat" list though since the graphics look cool and it seems like a decently designed game, but the controls are holding me back from putting any real time into it.

The Japanese version has normal button mapping (A to jump), if you want to try that one.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

Been playing some 3-D Worldrunner; I made it up to World 6 the other day, almost got to the boss actually. Then I got super pissed off at that level and gave up. Today I'm back at it and actually made it all the way to World 6 without even using a continue! World 6 is a real PITA but I think I can beat it, and the walkthrough seems to imply that Worlds 7 & 8 won't be as bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

3-D worldrunner is done. Brutally difficult in some areas, but overall a fun game. They could've gotten a lot more creative with the bosses tbh, they're all exactly the same but with more hit points/ faster movement. The key to beating World 8 was a replenishing extra life at the being of 8-4, that made a world of difference because 8-1 through 8-3 can kinda be BS.

3dWorldrunner.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • scaryice changed the title to NES Completions thread 2021 - 615/677

Recently I was very busy and did not feel like spending much time on NES games, especially when the remaining choices are so unappealing. But Rocket Ranger is not so bad and I could finish it in a reasonable amount of time. I recommend looking up a guide that tells you where the rocket parts and the fuel storages are depending on where your spies are located. This makes the game much easier.

You then go rescue the professor by shooting at the rockets from the blimp while trying not to blow up the blimp itself. After that I would raid the fuel factories repeatedly and grab some of the rocket parts while I was at it. In order to get a rocket part you have to win a fist fight, which is actually pretty easy. Just keep pressing up and occasionally press A to land a punch. If you keep pressing up the enemy is somehow unable to hurt you.

Finally grab the last rocket part when you have your 200 fuel, return to base and fly to the moon. If you play it safe you should easily be able to beat those alien nazi amazons and then go on to the final boss. During my first attempt he annihilated me, but I figured out a strategy that worked decently enough. Just stay a little bit left or right of his mouth. That is because he will either shoot straight to the bottom or to the left or right and it's easier to avoid those shots if you're standing near the middle of the screen. If you think about evading into one of the corners you're practically dead meat, because your hit box is so huge and it makes it difficult to avoid those shots.

tl:dr Rocket Ranger is done.

Rocket Ranger.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I promise I'm still working on Dragon's Lair. I'll try to power through this weekend.

There are some pretty doable games on that list.. Hudson Hawk, Immortal, Break Time, some of the racing games, and F-38 aren't that bad. The Ultima and Might and Magic games are just boring, but not hard with a walkthrough. Didn't someone figure out Rock N' Ball last year?

Two Koei games and Shingen left too, of course 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Just beat the immortal for the first time ever. Not too bad with a guide, but would be pretty tricky without. Pretty fun game tbh. I'm glad they gave infinite continues because it's pretty tough

TheImmortal.jpg

Glad you took my suggestion! 🙂 just kidding

It's been a year since I played it, but I think the really only hard part is outrunning a Kraken

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • scaryice changed the title to NES Completions thread 2021 - 617/677
Member · Posted
29 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Glad you took my suggestion! 🙂 just kidding

It's been a year since I played it, but I think the really only hard part is outrunning a Kraken

100% took your suggestion, keep bringing them on! The walkthrough I watched said the kraken was sometimes a problem, but I aced it first try. The final fight, on the other hand...took me many attempts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • scaryice changed the title to NES Completions thread 2021 - 630/677

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...