IGNORED

NES Games That Deserve Sequels

toma

Battle of Olympus definitely. That game is epic and we need more sweet open 2D action/adventure games on NES than we need more linear action platformers. But also Ninja Gaiden because I'm greedy and there hasn't been a new 2D NG game in 30 years.

Also probably just me, but I think Where's Waldo is kind of fun (the first one, the second one is way, way too easy because the graphics are so much better). Finding a minuscule Waldo in pixel vomit is kind of tough. I think it could've been made into at least a decent game.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Monster in My Pocket and Rockin' Kats are pretty good, too.

I'm not big on the point and click games, but Deja Vu did get a sequel. Not on NES though.

Shadowgate also got a sequel (Beyond Shadowgate), but it's for TurboGrafx 16.

Edited by MegaMan52

Graphics Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Battle of Olympus definitely. That game is epic and we need more sweet open 2D action/adventure games on NES than we need more linear action platformers. But also Ninja Gaiden because I'm greedy and there hasn't been a new 2D NG game in 30 years.

Also probably just me, but I think Where's Waldo is kind of fun (the first one, the second one is way, way too easy because the graphics are so much better). Finding a minuscule Waldo in pixel vomit is kind of tough. I think it could've been made into at least a decent game.

Battle of Olympus! I forgot that game existed. I gotta get a copy of that. Great choice though.

Some other cool open world ish games could work too, Rygar, Faxanadu, clash at demonhead

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

Half-joking answer would be a new 8-bit Metal Gear. But obviously that's not happening. But uh, random things that come to mind would be The Guardian Legend or Crystalis.

It's not official, but there is a hack of The Guardian Legend that has some new levels and bosses. Core gameplay is the same.

I'll throw Rad Racer in there. That travesty that is Rad Racer II doesn't count.

NewRetro is a thing now, so even a sequel that somehow keeps the same feel could do well. I loved the transitions from night into day. Even the cheesy 3D mechanism which never worked well for me. Was cool nonetheless.  Man, I loved that game even if Out Run was technically superior.

7 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You did play Metal Gear 2 and Ghost Babel right? Both 8-bit games, and both massively better than the NES port of the first game 😄 

I did. I love Ghost Babel, and that's basically what I'd envision. Another Ghost Babel. (I do personally enjoy the original NES game, though :D)

There are too many sequels that were disappoints over their predecessors for me to list a genuinely great game as needing a sequel.

And games that could have been great, but flawed, would probably be better fixed with an improvement hack.

Instead, I would say games that came out early in the console's lifespan that could have had amazing sequels a few years (and mappers) later. (i.e. what Bomberman II is to Bomberman)

Something like Excitebike. Maybe cross country with a number of different environments... and I realize I'm pitching a sidescrolling Road Rash. 🙂

Layla's pretty amazing for '86, but a bigger budget remake in '91 or so could have been even better. Separate stages with unique themes, ala Megaman / Bucky O'Hare would be my pitch.

Finally, Warpman. The original's a 2P co-op overhead arcade-style action game like Bomberman. I'd pitch a sequel that played like a co-op versiom of Hal's Ghostbusters 2. Stages to traverse, varied weaponry, big bosses.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, M-Tee said:

Instead, I would say games that came out early in the console's lifespan that could have had amazing sequels a few years (and mappers) later. (i.e. what Bomberman II is to Bomberman)

Speaking of Bomberman sequels, weren’t you and Optomon working on a Bomberman hack that gave it a more sci-fi feel? The pictures from Optomon’s blog look like they would blow the whole series out of the water.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:46 PM, toma said:

I always kind of thought doing Spiritual Warfare 2 as a Zelda 2 clone would be a fun project. Not one I'm going to pursue any time soon but if anyone else gives it a shot you've got my full support hahaha

Piko owns that IP now, he might not look too kindly on people using it....

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, gauauu said:

Piko owns that IP now, he might not look too kindly on people using it....

He also doesn't respond if you reach out asking to use/buy an IP, despite having a contact form on his site for precisely that purpose.

I have the opposite view of Piko; he seems quite willing to license IPs for devs. I've seen him offer an official license to more than one fan project. It suits his approach after all, a new completed game is more money than no new game.

Gloves' experience is unfortunate, but I still think it's plausible the message never got through.

GOOD GAMES: Dino Riki, Castelian, Castlequest, Crystalis, Faria, Galaxy 5000, Isolated Warrior, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Jaws(I always thought it would be awesome if there had been an expanded sequel that would have been similar in genre ie. RPG/SHMUP, except much more emphasis on a much bigger RPG overworld.), Kabuki Quantum Fighter(we got a tease at the end of the game when the hero assures us he'll be back for another adventure, but so far, not a thing), Lone Ranger, Milon's Secret Castle(In the same vein as the original rather than the  Super Mario World -esque sequel on the Super Famicom.), Pinbot, Q*bert(I was thinking a port of Q*bert's Qubes here.), Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, Stanley - The Search For Dr. Livingston(Since discovering this one a few years ago I've thought it would have been so cool if they had continued to make games in this Metroid/Vania Style based on the exploits of other famous historical explorers taking place on various continents.), Xexyz, Zen: Intergalactic Ninja.

...and drum roll................ .......... ...... .... ... .. .  !!

Master Chu And The Drunkard Hu Two Mystery Of The Forsaken Shoe!

...Ok, maybe not, but I would probably buy it if it happened.

GREAT TOPIC

On 7/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, M-Tee said:

Bomberman II is kinda weird because it feels more like it's based on the PC Engine Bomberman which came out the year before - reutilizing a lot of aspects from that. Yet while the PCE game has pretty much perfect controls (which were largely preserved for every Hudson developed sequel up until Super Bomberman 5), the NES Bomberman II is kinda broken in that regard, and it is way too easy to kill yourself due to them not behaving like you'd expect.
Also they ditched the boss battles. I guess that makes it more in line with the first NES Bomberman?

Would be interesting to know if Bomberman II actually started development earlier, which would explain why it feels so much more primitive, but with over half a year between them, that sounds unlikely. Games had a pretty short dev cycle back then.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, M-Tee said:

Layla's pretty amazing for '86, but a bigger budget remake in '91 or so could have been even better. Separate stages with unique themes, ala Megaman / Bucky O'Hare would be my pitch.

LayLa had a major rom hack some time ago, designed as a sequel - I haven't played it but it actually looks very good. If nothing else, the soundtrack is really sweet.

Edited by Sumez