IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

Glad you appreciated my petite bon mot.  

It is not the first time I have been to a rodeo with Cody,   

I'm sure it's not, but I'll let him deal with it since he's the one that made the original comment you seem to have an issue with.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

And he is more than welcome to pick up this argument. I'm done with it. It seems like you're trying to say that two white people that got done wrong is worse than every person of color that's ever been done wrong and that's not the case.

Again you seem to want to put words in my mouth (worse actually since you are actually trying to put thoughts in my mind - take it from me - you are no Franz Mesmer).

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm sure it's not, but I'll let him deal with it since he's the one that made the original comment you seem to have an issue with.

I do not have an issue with his (and by implication yours)  - again the two of you asked for just one example* .  I provided two examples with no interpolation - you (in the singular) keep insisting on inserting that.

*Three I guess if you bothered to read about the Zebra killings,

Just now, Tabonga said:

I do not have an issue with his (and by implication yours)  - again the two of you asked for just one example* .  I provided two examples with no interpolation - you (in the singular) keep insisting on inserting that.

I will make sure to read about that when I get a chance. I honestly wasn't ignoring that I'm just kind of busy at the moment and when I'm reading something I like to do it when I have completely free time.

This thread is doing a good job of showing how divided the U.S. is. Don't let the media get to you. The media wants you to think it's "us vs them" when in reality most people don't truly think this. Don't let the media control your thoughts. Have your own opinion and brain. Don't be spoon fed everything, because it's twisted with bias and misinformation anyways.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rhino said:

This thread is doing a good job of showing how divided the U.S. is. Don't let the media get to you. The media wants you to think it's "us vs them" when in reality most people don't truly think this. Don't let the media control your thoughts. Have your own opinion and brain. Don't be spoon fed everything, because it's twisted with bias and misinformation anyways.

So glad you came here to tell us that! Its definitely “media’s” fault.

All the posts backed up with evidence supporting peoples points are just false flag operations funded by Soros 😱 

• Haha 1

@Bearcat-Doug @Tabonga

Since the argument devolved pretty quickly about one or more examples, I'll just post my original quote, in response to @Estil questioning the destruction of fake racism.

Yea, that sounds like it would be shitty. Can you give some examples of that? Because I'm not aware of literally any. I feel like if someone told my boss I said something racist, they would investigate, and if I did, I would be dealt with accordingly, and if I didn't, I'd still have my job.

So, for those of you all so worried about "Fake racism claims", can you please provide some real world examples that have occurred and resulted in an innocent person losing their job?

NOT THAT IT MATTERS, but I did originally ask for examples (plural). I then again asked for real world examples (again, plural).

Hopefully we can put that to rest now. 

I'd also like to double down on my request and ask for some real world examples from this century. The Chipotle thing isn't it. Let's hear about people in today's social climate who had their lives ruined by fake racism. It's such a huge issue, there should be no problem finding multiple examples to provide.

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

I just (admittedly briefly) read about this. It seems the jist is that a group of black people were fed up with white racism, and murdered a bunch of black people. That's sad and is not ok of course.

But that's not really an example of a white person's like being ruined by fake claims of them being racist. That's the big horrifying thing that Estil, Cartman and others are so worried about. Where is the examples of the people who were called racist, and had their lives ruined, that weren't actually racist?

19 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

All the posts backed up with evidence supporting peoples points are just false flag operations funded by Soros 😱 

Don't you dare stifle the most entertaining poster in this thread! 😆

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

You can back up anything you want if you find the corresponding data and ignore other data. Evidence is usually one side of the complicated story. Fox and CNN are terrible since they only cover their side and manipulate articles and headlines to get you to agree with their side.

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I feel we're talking in circles at this point.

But I'm not giving up, because this is important.

When it perpetuates stereotypes, it allows others to perpetuate stereotypes. Then there's no escaping it.

Sitting by while your culture gets insulted day after day is a terrible way to live.

Actively speaking up gets change. Change for the better.

You're just wanting the old stereotypes to continue, for some reason. Maybe you find them funny.

How is EVERYONE getting offended? This is just one little aspect that they changed.

The whole world needs to learn that some things are unacceptable.

Not everything grinds to a halt and you know it. They just make little corrections.

It's still a substantial amount. And who are you to say their stake in their culture is limited?

It's your very identity when you're in that culture.

What makes you a human being.

And now some white dudes are putting up what represents your culture.

I'd say if the tables were turned, you'd feel offended. You may or may not speak up, and that's your prerogative, but people don't have to just sit there and like it.

If someone, anyone is offended, we have to at least listen.

Then decide what action should be taken.

That's what the creators of the Simpsons did.

Those arguments are not rooted in a cultural identity. This is about a culture day after day portrayed on TV, and they wanted it portrayed the right way.

And again, THE CREATORS AGREED WITH IT.

No, the conservative thing was different. It wasn't some cultural identity like this was. It wasn't one thing representing a group of people.

This aspect of Apu was something that many Indians were uncomfortable with, the show listened and obliged. And now you're jumping up and down about how it's some great regression.

Yeah, ignore human beings' concerns while putting up a representation of their culture.

Simpsons is an all inclusive brand. They want to make sure they're treating human beings as human beings.

Saying "Eh, your concerns are not worth addressing" is a shitty way of treating people.

When did basic human decency become "selling out"?

The people he was representing on TV day after day saw that as "This is what we think of you." Some of it was good, one aspect wasn't. They asked for it to be changed.

The creators did.

The creators acted like decent people.

None of those other quirks were a cultural identity. Represented by a white dude.

When it's a cultural identity, that's when it ceases to be a quirk and moves into a potential racial stereotype. The creators acted to correct that misstep.

Apu still has all his other quirks.

It does when you have a white dude making his representation of that race.

Sure, and none of that needs a white guy doing a fake Indian accent.

The show will go on without that aspect now.

Again, the other stuff isn't part of a cultural identity. This was.

Then the jettisoned it.

And now the show can go back to doing what it does. For better or for worse.

That was what was happening, and the show corrected for it.

Again, APU IS STILL ON THE SHOW.

They just had the white dude voicing him go do something else.

You're still acting like they pulled it and every other funny show off the air.

That didn't happen.

They corrected one offensive thing and you're acting like you lost the culture war.

We as human beings make corrections all the time. It's what makes us human.

We need to evolve as a species, drop these crude, offensive, not-that-funny aspects of comedy and keep with what is truly funny.

There are plenty of things to make fun of in this world. Your precious South Park is one doing it right. So are many others.

We're not going to lose comedy just because Azaria and the Simpsons creators decided to be decent people and address a concern.

We're not becoming bland people. We're making the right decisions to make us all better.

So basically you've arbitrarily decided wich side should get to have the moral highground then. Because like i said everyone gets offended by something and they'll claim that their case is just and what they dislike perpetuates bad behaviour in other ways. They might say it encourages violence for example. You might aswell have said if people enjoy seeing a character do something wrong it's a bad thing period because getting enjoyment out of it enables it. 

A substantial amount of Indians compared to what? All Indians? All Simpson fans period? They're not representative of anyone but themselves like i said they just bothered talking a lot and highlighting their stunt on social media. So what if a white dude is putting up your culture? You want to segregate cultures and races instead then? If something is good or bad not because of it's contents but rather because of the creators races well that's racism.

It doesn't matter what they where rooted in it what matters is that you're defending moralist sentiments. You feeling that race should have to be the drawing line over say violence or how family life should be portrayed on TV is still just as much of a subjective issue as the moralist camp you defend itself. I assume you wouldn't have been happy if Simspons adjusted the content on the conservative objections and the show turned into something much lamer but now since it's a group whose sentiments you sympathise with you feel Simpsons creators did the right thing in catering. Either they should cater or they shouldn't you can't pick and choose.

Conservatives are human beings too... everyone is. They felt Simpson was fucking up their vision of the American culture. Everyone can't have it their way on the basis of "being human" because we all cancel each other out so it's +-0.

How can you know that the Indian viewers thought that the Simpsons creators saw him as a representation of their collective? I'm not Indian but that's not the conclusion i would draw based on one character, it would be pretty obvious to me that Simpson creators understand aswell that there are other Indians with other traits than Apu. But i mean you can apply that to any character really the creators can't prevent viewers from drawing broad conclusions when they shouldn't. They could mitigate it by having multiple Indians with different personalities so that the viewers understand diversity easier but then it would be a trade-off against having a single character that stands out. Apu's quirks elevate him as a character by the very fact that he's alone, if there were 10 Indians doing different things then the minority storeowner image and voice would be lessened. For good or for worse it is a factor that alters the character and by that the shows overall structue aswell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rhino said:

You can back up anything you want if you find the corresponding data and ignore other data. Evidence is usually one side of the complicated story. Fox and CNN are terrible since they only cover their side and manipulate articles and headlines to get you to agree with their side.

So go with the Associated Press, Reuters, or any in the center of this chart.

Media-Bias-Chart-6.0_Low_Res_Licensed.jp

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Oh and Trump does enough “us vs them” to cover the media cabal for 20 years. 

All modern conservatism is “if you dont vote for us, liberals are going to take away your guns and make your children gay”

And Democrats want to make you feel like shit and that you're the devil if you don't want the police defunded or you aren't pro choice. Both sides are horrible and have branded themselves with specific ideals that divide the parties in an us vs them mentality to keep you blindly supporting your party. 

• Like 2