IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

Nfl dropping like flies. Marquee matchup between KC and NE postponed due to positive covid tests on both teams.

Remember when those experts warned of a second wave if we didn't hunker down and take this more seriously. I hope this isn't what is happening!

remember when those experts said masks dont do anything. Remember when our leaders in big cities were telling people to not worry and just come down to china town and live it up back in march. Remember when it was just flatten the curve because we cant just get rid of it. Remember when this had a .003 percent mortality rate. Oh wait that last one is new numbers.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, we really are in a sorry state. By this point I've just accepted that we're all just gonna have to hunker down until a proper, well-tested vaccine comes out, however long that's going to take.

Or you can just isolate the most vulnerable and we can live our lives since this has a 99.997 percent survival rate

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

remember when those experts said masks dont do anything.

That’s how science works: you get new information and adjust. COVID-19 is a novel virus meaning we knew NOTHING about it. Everything you’re hearing is what we’re learning in real time. That’s how science works. Information is constantly changing because of what we’re constantly discovering. Scientific education is so bad in this country that most people don’t understand this (and think Dr. Fauci is some con artist as a result) but I believe that’s by design.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

remember when those experts said masks dont do anything. Remember when our leaders in big cities were telling people to not worry and just come down to china town and live it up back in march. Remember when it was just flatten the curve because we cant just get rid of it. Remember when this had a .003 percent mortality rate. Oh wait that last one is new numbers.

I do understand how frustrating it is to have received so much different advice that would up being contradictive. We must remember that this is a novel virus and at the time knew nothing about it. Our experts were doing the best they could with the knowledge they had. As our information evolved, so did recommendations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

That’s how science works: you get new information and adjust. COVID-19 is a novel virus meaning we knew NOTHING about it. Everything you’re hearing is what we’re learning in real time. That’s how science works. Information is constantly changing because of what we’re constantly discovering. Scientific education is so bad in this country that most people don’t understand this (and think Dr. Fauci is some con artist as a result) but I believe that’s by design.

I read recently that not only is COVID not a coughing, sneezing transmission and instead is a talking, laughing signing transmission, but also that it is 3x more contagious than originally thought.

And mortality rate for for 56-64, 65-74, 75-85 and 85+ is stupid high. I understand the sentiment to protect the vulnerable but there still isn't even an effective treatment on the market. If we had a means to boost the antibodies of those who do fall ill, like we've seen the president use, then we could realistically relax social restrictions. 

Or if, ya know, wearing a mask slows the spread dramatically, we could, like, all wear a mask everywhere but our homes, then we could also relax restrictions. But, apparently that's too much to ask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

pretttttty sure the science on masks has already been thought out. pretttttty sure thats not information that should flip flop overnight.

• Like 1

Just now, RegularGuyGamer said:

I read recently that not only is COVID not a coughing, sneezing transmission and instead is a talking, laughing signing transmission, but also that it is 3x more contagious than originally thought.

And mortality rate for for 56-64, 65-74, 75-85 and 85+ is stupid high. I understand the sentiment to protect the vulnerable but there still isn't even an effective treatment on the market.

its probably stupid high for that demographic with any illness in comparison to anyone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

pretttttty sure the science on masks has already been thought out. pretttttty sure thats not information that should flip flop overnight.

It has been. Mask the sick is the science that has been out and it is there to protect others from sneeze and coughs. COVID isn't a sneeze and cough transmission. Thus the change in the statement 

52 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Not all viruses behave the same, transmit the same, are the same size, etc. Masks that are effective for some viruses are ineffective for others. Scientists previously hypothesized that masks were not effective in slowing the spread for this virus, but as more research came in they discovered differently.

To reiterate: this is how all science works. When I was writing my thesis in grad school, I got torn apart in my first draft for saying words like “proven” or stating something as a definitive. My job as a scientist is to report what I observe. If other scientists observe this and a consensus is formed, that’s how something becomes generally accepted (or “proven” in colloquial conversation). But to say something is definitive and to not be open to new or contrary information, that’s arrogance.

To flip flop and change our information is how we’ve done this whole science thing in every field since we began. It’s not just a COVID thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

In comparison to younger is what I said. 

Oh ok I misread. I do think the CDC needs to be held responsible for this miscommunication. They should had had better communication and a better media relation to get the messages out, both of this incorrect information and the new message. 

Changing policy is nothing new but they handled it very poorly. 

Well my wife and I were actually exposed (at work I am basically in a hazmat suit so exposure is almost 0%). We went to a 6-8 person gathering for a friend's birthday, and just got an alert from the health department we were around someone who tested positive.  I did not go in today and thankfully my wife works remote, but I now have tightness in my chest along with the cough.  

Without launching into a research paper, don't be a selfish asshole and put others at risk because this virus has a low mortality rate (for now).  Hopefully my tests come back negative, but I don't think that will be the case.

• Sad 6

I gotta agree with @Quest4Nes on some of his points, and as much as I hate to say it, I'll say it again:

A large portion of the failure of the handling lies with the WHO, and the bogus information they were spouting out initially, despite Taiwan, a non-WHO member, seeing concerning data and asking and telling the WHO about it. Period.

Only 55 people contracted the disease in Taiwan, locally, the other cases here (about what, 400-500 tops?) were mostly from Taiwanense dusk citizenship nationals returning home from work or schooling abroad in Europe and the USA. 

I personally find it very strange that Taiwan did so well compared to literally everywhere else, despite the very close proximity and awkward relationship with China, as well as not being included in the WHO. To show how political the WHO made it, there were points early on where countries were refusing to allow flights to and from Taiwan, since Taiwan had been marked, by the WHO, as being part of China and therefore a high-risk zone, despite the fact that the realities were quite different.

Then again, Taiwan did go through this once before, with SARS, again little to no help from the WHO, and much deadlier disease too. 

So no, I am not willing to just go with the idea that scientific understanding is changing, hence why the contradictory statements. Glad we are out of the WHO, don't vote Joe, unless you like the coronas, otherwise we'll be back in that cesspool of an organisation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, Doctornick said:

Well my wife and I were actually exposed (at work I am basically in a hazmat suit so exposure is almost 0%). We went to a 6-8 person gathering for a friend's birthday, and just got an alert from the health department we were around someone who tested positive.  I did not go in today and thankfully my wife works remote, but I now have tightness in my chest along with the cough.  

Without launching into a research paper, don't be a selfish asshole and put others at risk because this virus has a low mortality rate (for now).  Hopefully my tests come back negative, but I don't think that will be the case.

Man, that is terrible.  I pray you and your wife are well and, if you test positive, that you recover fully.  And to reinforce the final paragraph you posted...

Masks.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

You mean how Trump singlehandedly spread the disease around the white house staff?

If we would have had correct information to begin with, it's likely the mess would not have gotten as it has.

That was the fault of the WHO. 

So yeah, it's really a good idea to rejoin that organisation?

• Like 1