IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Well, we can have a vaccine well ahead of 12 montha, it just wont be approved for public release. It's the testing that is the long pole in the process. Teams can whip up drugs pretty quickly.

But they have to make sure they work as intended, dont have side effects and generalize the test results to make sure they work across a wide spectrum of people. It does seem that some other drugs have have been useful in treating it, so maybe one of those can bridge the gap.

I'm also very skeptical that 40 to 70% will get it. I expect cases to peak in a month or two, then slow down a lot over the summer and break out again in fall when schools try to resume. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Let’s add “available to the public” into that vaccine ETA, which was implied in my read of it.

As for 40-70%, keep in mind the range of severity. i.e. the majority of children will not present symptoms (but are still vectors).

”Of those infected, 80% will become mildly ill, 14% hospital-ill, 6-8% critically ill.” 

“Estimations are 40-70% of Americans will get the virus.
45% = 150M ppl
5-10% will require hospitalization, which is 7.5M ppl
There are less than 150,00 ventilators in the US.
That means 1 in 50 hospitalized will get a ventilator.”

That's pretty funny. That guys a dick.

He talks a big game, but he voted for the trillion whatever dollar tax cut and when the 9/11 responders went in there for their healthcare renewal thing he tried to get stuff added to the bill before he would sign.

Edited by Californication

34 minutes ago, Estil said:

So not only do we now have a Senator with the virus, it happens to be one of ours (Rand Paul).  I guess no one is safe from it!

I just hope kitties can't get it... 😞

Hmm. He voted in line with his principles by looking down the road beyond the immediate concern. Still...

Image result for rorschach no compromise

Just now, m308gunner said:

And aren't most of you opposed to heaping more debt on future generations?

The debt's going to be incurred one way or another. Either we add to the deficit or watch the economy take the mother of all shits with a 20% unemployment rate that'll haunt us for decades. .

1 minute ago, m308gunner said:

And aren't most of you opposed to heaping more debt on future generations?

He's a fraud. He voted to add a trillion dollars to the deficit so rich people could get a tax break.

Edit: And furthermore, he isn't challenging the real problems the bill has: he stalled it over some stupid and slightly racist points.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

The debt's going to be incurred one way or another. Either we add to the deficit or watch the economy take the mother of all shits with a 20% unemployment rate that'll haunt us for decades. .

With a system as complex as the economy and the situation at hand, a binary choice like the one presented is not an accurate reflection of reality and would only appeal to partisans, whom are the very ones intent on attacking him. He doesn't oppose the funding. He just wants to pay for it more responsibly.

8 minutes ago, Californication said:

He's a fraud. He voted to add a trillion dollars to the deficit so rich people could get a tax break.

Fraud's don't usually enjoy attracting so much attention and put such large targets on their backs so consistently. 

Edited by m308gunner
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

With a system as complex as the economy and the situation at hand, a binary choice like the one presented is not an accurate reflection of reality and would only appeal to partisans, whom are the very ones intent on attacking him. He doesn't oppose the funding. He just wants to pay for it more responsibly.

Yeah, well, 99 of his brethren disagreed.

The amount to the deficit is a drop in the bucket. As Californicated said, if he was truly against adding to the deficit, he would have voted against that useless tax bill that added way more to the deficit that the fat cats pocketed rather than trickling it back to the people.

At least this will get into the hands of people who will spend it, keeping the economy going.

The reality is we're in for a rough fucking time, and libertarian ideals are not going to work. The government has to step in some time.

It's that time.

Edited by Tulpa

20 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, well, 99 of his brethren disagreed.

The amount to the deficit is a drop in the bucket. As Californicated said, if he was truly against adding to the deficit, he would have voted against that useless tax bill that added way more to the deficit that the fat cats pocketed rather than trickling it back to the people.

At least this will get into the hands of people who will spend it, keeping the economy going.

The reality is we're in for a rough fucking time, and libertarian ideals are not going to work. The government has to step in some time.

It's that time.

That just proves even more that he's not treating politics like a team sport, which everyone who isn't a partisan hack should applaud. 

It took me 5 minutes to read a few snippets of his original op-ed and know that, again, the choice he made was not as binary as indicated above. There were parts of it he didn't like and parts he did (like many/most bills I would imagine). 

Rand isn't opposed to governmental involvement in the current crisis. He just wants to exercise the part he has to play in it with more nuance and, apparently, less panic.

58 minutes ago, Link said:

We're barely even started of course it's going to get back.  We're still several weeks out from maximum infection rates IMO.  Most people don't even know a first hand confirmed case (family member, colleague, etc.).  We'll get to the point where everyone knows multiples I suspect. 

6 hours ago, jonebone said:

We're barely even started of course it's going to get back.  We're still several weeks out from maximum infection rates IMO.  Most people don't even know a first hand confirmed case (family member, colleague, etc.).  We'll get to the point where everyone knows multiples I suspect. 

It's the uncertainly of how this will all play out for sure.  As for most people don't even know a first hand confirmed case...let's do everything we can to keep it that way.  Same goes with all this going on about this idea of possible martial law...again, let us do all we can to make sure it never has to come to that.  We already had one President suspend habeas corpus we don't need to add another...

22 minutes ago, Link said:

Does it have to get to that point before you will take this seriously? I find your skepticism concerning.

What the hell are you talking about? Re read the thread and look who started it. I've taken it seriously from day 1, though I'm not doomsday prepper mentality.

My comment is to someone saying "this week is going to get bad" is they havent seen nothing yet. Every passing week is going to get MUCH worse until it gets better. I left the house once in 9 days to hit a grocery store at 6AM and that's been it. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, Estil said:

It's the uncertainly of how this will all play out for sure.  As for most people don't even know a first hand confirmed case...let's do everything we can to keep it that way.  Same goes with all this going on about this idea of possible martial law...again, let us do all we can to make sure it never has to come to that.  We already had one President suspend habeas corpus we don't need to add another...

Happily the government here thus far has made it clear that they are quite pro individual rights and freedoms. They don't want to have to take away anything if they don't have to, but they've not taken anything off the table. For now they are simply heavily urging us to stay indoors. 

That's at the federal levels. At the provincial level, some places (Saskatchewan as of today) HAVE gone into pretty emergency protocols. 

The address from the PM this morning implied that they'll do everything they can to support the Canadian people and businesses (especially small business).