IGNORED

NWC 1990 on eBay | Any Concerns? | Your Thoughts on Future of NWC Carts? | I'm Paranoid!

Hello,

This may already be on the site already, but I couldn't find anything after a quick search. IF this has been posted already, please feel free to lock/delete.

NWC 1990 eBay ($150,000 OBO)

Above is a grey cart that is currently on eBay. My guess would be that the seller is a member on this site, as he has been selling games for a while it seems. I have a few questions and concerns. I was hoping to get your opinions.

1. Why wouldn't the seller give some background/history on the cart? Barebones info given (if even that).
  2. Doesn't it seem a bit irresponsible to grade and seal THIS game closed (without opening shell and showing guts in case)? It just seems to me this gives graders a lot of power that may be abused someday (although highly unlikely). Company could always be bribed or take advantage of buyers by casing a near perfect imitation to unsuspecting individuals.
  3. What are your thoughts on the future of NWC '90s carts? It's always been the holy grail for me, but the older I get (and more valuable those games get), the more I realize that fakes will occasionally arise and get better and better looking. I could actually buy this, but I wouldn't pay over $16,000 for a copy. I  It's just not worth the risk of scammers of eventually making identical fakes (and deflating/devaluing the market). I'm too paranoid to ever try and actually obtain the game. Anyone else like me in this regard?
  4. How much trust does the community put into WATA and VGA? Do most take them as 100% credible and ethical? It just seems like with rating and sealing cases closed, it'd a tad easier for them to take advantage (sealing CIB Cheetahmen II with a SMB3 cart inside) or be bribed. I do think it's AWESOME that we now have competition.

I know I'm sounding like a worrywart, but I consider these actual concerns (IMO) in the distant future, if not now. Cheers and thanks for any helpful responses.

Also, I was banned from NA (owner didn't care for me... feeling was mutual 😅). I never scammed or anything. I was merely a crass kid (this was roughly 10 years ago) who was too quick to be blunt. I've learned from my ways, as it's been quite some time. I'd like to think I've matured. I've dealt successfully with many legends (bronty, pat, etc.) in the past. I also have approximately $10,000 worth in retro games. I'd like to think I'm welcomed back and will be given a second chance. I was hyped to see this new site! IF I have done something irreversible in the past, feel free to ban me again and I'll avoid retro forums yet again. The most you'll find is me just acting immature.

Edit: I'm curious. Does the idea of future fakes make anyone else less interested seeking a copy? It's the case for me, but I'm TAKING nothing away from those current owners. I'm hecka jealous of y'all!

Edited by fiercefoxx
  • Like 1

Just dont be a douche, and you will do fine 😉

I prefer Wata because I feel their security is stronger. 

I think a lot of the hype around fake NWCs is overblown, anyone who is in the market knows what to look for and would probably do the research on providence.

The 150,000$ price tag is just to attract attention.  

Personally I would prefer the NWC Gray to the Gold and not just due to cost.  I like the serial number on the gray that helps add to tracking their provenance.

To your specific points:

1) Seller doesn't need to give provenance since it is certified.  I'm sure he would discuss more details with legitimately interested buyers.
2) No, it is not irresponsible to grade it.
3) You aren't buying a certified and graded NWC Gray for $16k in today's market.  You'd have to get in line at that value.
4) VGA and Wata are ethical.  People have their own preferences (and some hate grading), but they aren't going to do game swaps and such like you've alluded to.

• Like 2

The price on that thing is ludicrous. But knowing the seller, I'm not really surprised 🙄.

The last time I talked to a few people that own these, they wouldn't consider selling an ungraded/uncertified cart for anything less than $30K USD. A couple changed hands in the mid to low $20K's this summer. And one sold for $42K.

No idea what a wata cart should sell for. Personally it doesn't matter to me that they certified it.  The number on the cart should be more than enough for most people in the market to be satisfied with the provenance

Edited by 98ViperGTS

On 1/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, 98ViperGTS said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

There are quite a few;

OH MY! What beautiful pieces. I'm extremely jealous!

My main concern is that casing them sealed without showing the guts allows to swap out the guts (and save them to produce a new cart with a new number or just place its guts in a gold cart). No one will crack these cases, so that's the main concern I'm alluding to. I do LOVE (unlike most) the long turnaround times. It sort of validates a bit how much effort, time, etc. that the companies are putting into their work. On top of that, if they were ever busted, it would devalue everything they've ever graded. The more I think about it, I am mostly just paranoid.

To the poster stating the $16,000 get in line, I know that. I'm just stating that is my top price with the concern of fakes.

Also, to the poster saying they prefer the grey carts, I'm totally with you. For your reasons, and the fact that actual participants received them and they appear to be much more difficult to fake (IMO).

Lastly, to clarify, I'm NOT stating that I think this listing is fake. Just curious what the community thinks of fake prevalence and the future of them. I know a lot of fake Peanut Royal Blue Elephants (lol! TY Beanie Babies) and 1st Edition Pokémon cards exist. Extensive research is required to validate those (and even they can be futile), and they are worth a minute fraction of these holy grails.

Edited by fiercefoxx

3 hours ago, fiercefoxx said:

Also, to the poster saying they prefer the grey carts, I'm totally with you. For your reasons, and the fact that actual participants received them and they appear to be much more difficult to fake (IMO).

Not all of them came from participants. At least a couple came from employees.

1 hour ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?articleID=238928

The Gray Market is gonna go up. This was for sure a big help to push it that way. 

Crazy! 

Bad move IMO because both item (gray cart and Brady card) are going to increase in price.. I guess I would take the Brady card!!

2 minutes ago, TheBiRD said:

Crazy! 

Bad move IMO because both item (gray cart and Brady card) are going to increase in price.. I guess I would take the Brady card!!

The biggest thing I see with this transaction and most already know that the desire for NWC carts has skyrocketed. The plays for them behind the scenes is getting huge. 

29 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

The biggest thing I see with this transaction and most already know that the desire for NWC carts has skyrocketed. The plays for them behind the scenes is getting huge. 

Is this true? Does that make this seemingly ridiculous trade seem worth it, because with the limited information I am aware of this trade looks like a GIANT leap in the value of the NWC grey.

What am I missing here?

27 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Is this true? Does that make this seemingly ridiculous trade seem worth it, because with the limited information I am aware of this trade looks like a GIANT leap in the value of the NWC grey.

What am I missing here?

One thing also is the 8.0 grade on the cart. That is phenomenal for a gray. You aren’t missing anything. This is just how things are going. 

6 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

What is your graded at? Value for sure is determined by the condition. 

Mine isn't graded right now, but it's the one with the piece of plastic missing on the bottom. I'm guessing it would grade at a 4 or 5. The label is pretty nice. It's definitely better than #240 (the pimpled cart) that graded at a 3.

Edited by 98ViperGTS