IGNORED

What are your Top 10 essential Gameboy Games?

BriGuy82

• 4 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Why FF Legend II and not the first one or the third one? I've never played any of them so I'm wondering if I should skip right to 2. 

I think you should play them all but if I was stuck on an island I'd want 2 with me, mostly because it's the one I had as a kid. That said, having played all 3, I do think 2 is the most well balanced and entertaining.

The 1994 Donkey Kong game is definitely at the top of my list.  All of the Mario Land games are certainly on there as well.  Even though I never played Link's Awakening, I loved the remake enough that I could enjoy the original on the Game Boy if I had no other console to play.  Of course Tetris is a must.  As a kid, I loved Kirby's pinball, but for some reason as an adult, I can't play it at all.  Maybe with enough practice, I could get good at it again.  

On 12/20/2019 at 10:32 AM, BriGuy82 said:

So if you were gonna pick between Super Mario Land 1 or 2 it would the 2nd one? I think I'm gonna try to keep it to one game per series. 

I honestly think Mario Land 3 is the best of the series on the Game Boy.  I mean, sure you don't play as Mario, but it's still the most fun.

Gargoyle's Quest and Kid Icarus are both essentials, with their best iterations on the GB.

My Top 10 for GB essentials:

Gargoyle's Quest

Kid Icarus

Metroid 2

Tetris

Link's Awakening

Final Fantasy Adventure

Pokemon (either Blue or Red, doesn't really matter which, and "both" is not really necessary with a single GB device)

Final Fantasy Legend

Donkey Kong (the one with the Super GB support built in)

Super Mario Land

Edited by arch_8ngel

18 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I honestly think Mario Land 3 is the best of the series on the Game Boy.  I mean, sure you don't play as Mario, but it's still the most fun.

SML 1 has the novelty of the submarine and airplane levels.

That counts for a lot.

SML 2 has a lot of level design novelty going for it as well, but the "large character" design that was in favor by that point makes the screen really cramped compared to SML 1.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The 1994 Donkey Kong game is definitely at the top of my list.

I have to say, I was surprised at how really great that game was (and the original probably is too) for a single-screen style of platformer.

I was always put off by the simplistic look of the original DK and didn’t even give this game a chance.  Then, in middle school, a buddy let me borrow a few of his games and this was one.  I popped it in out of bordem and after a few stages I was hooked.  I returned all of his games and that was the one I asked to keep until I best it.  I don’t know what the secret sauce was but Nintendo made a great puzzle platformer and I’m usually not into those types of games

I'm not claiming these are "essential" or "must-haves", but out of the 60-odd Game Boy games I've beaten, I've had the most fun with:

Catrap
Cave Noire*
Navy SEALs
Noobow*
Operation C
Pipe Dream
Shisenshou: Match Mania*
True Lies

Games with asterisks are Japanese-exclusive. Shisenshou has no English text, Noobow and Cave Noire have translation patches available.

51 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Gargoyle's Quest and Kid Icarus are both essentials, with their best iterations on the GB.

My Top 10 for GB essentials:

Gargoyle's Quest

Kid Icarus

Metroid 2

Tetris

Link's Awakening

Final Fantasy Adventure

Pokemon (either Blue or Red, doesn't really matter which, and "both" is not really necessary with a single GB device)

Final Fantasy Legend

Donkey Kong (the one with the Super GB support built in)

Super Mario Land

Kid Icarus on the NES is one of my all time favs...I'm a little excited to hear you say the GB version is even better. I'll be picking that one up soon. 

15 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Kid Icarus on the NES is one of my all time favs...I'm a little excited to hear you say the GB version is even better. I'll be picking that one up soon. 

It's obviously not as "colorful"... but I think the dungeon levels are better and more consistent, and the power-up and shop scheme is better structured and more reliably implemented.

I've beaten both versions of the game, but grew up on the GB version, which obviously came out later than the NES original.

On the flipside, I think the original Gargoyle's Quest is the superior game to its NES follow-on.

The NES version added color, and spread out the cramped screen a little bit, but something in the play control was lost-in-translation and the game just doesn't "feel" the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

I have to say, I was surprised at how really great that game was (and the original probably is too) for a single-screen style of platformer.

I was always put off by the simplistic look of the original DK and didn’t even give this game a chance.  Then, in middle school, a buddy let me borrow a few of his games and this was one.  I popped it in out of bordem and after a few stages I was hooked.  I returned all of his games and that was the one I asked to keep until I best it.  I don’t know what the secret sauce was but Nintendo made a great puzzle platformer and I’m usually not into those types of games

I always feel that it gets over looked and very few people seem to talk about that game or any of the sequels in the series.  But I love all of them.  

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

SML 1 has the novelty of the submarine and airplane levels.

That counts for a lot.

SML 2 has a lot of level design novelty going for it as well, but the "large character" design that was in favor by that point makes the screen really cramped compared to SML 1.

I agree with every word in this post.  But I still feel that SML 3 is the most fun overall.  

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I agree with every word in this post.  But I still feel that SML 3 is the most fun overall.  

SML 3 is definitely better than SML 2, in terms of the novelty of the powers/hats, while being a fairly even trade on level design and still being at the "cramped" graphical form factor.

56 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

SML 3 is definitely better than SML 2, in terms of the novelty of the powers/hats, while being a fairly even trade on level design and still being at the "cramped" graphical form factor.

I think SML3 is also better balanced.  It starts out easy and progressively gets more difficult.  SML 2 is pretty easy all around (probably due to the fact that you can select any world in any order) and then the difficult jumps up to 11 for the final castle/boss.  

I also always enjoyed the replay value in SML3 in trying to get better and better endings.   

Edited by TDIRunner

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, arch_8ngel said:

It's obviously not as "colorful"... but I think the dungeon levels are better and more consistent, and the power-up and shop scheme is better structured and more reliably implemented.

I've beaten both versions of the game, but grew up on the GB version, which obviously came out later than the NES original.

I could never get into Kid Icarus on the NES until after playing the Gameboy one. It made the 'Kid Icarus' gameplay format much more approachable, so I was able to learn the mechanics and go back to properly enjoy the NES original. They're both solid games, albeit frustrating.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, bronzeshield said:

I'm not claiming these are "essential" or "must-haves", but out of the 60-odd Game Boy games I've beaten, I've had the most fun with:

Catrap
Cave Noire*
Navy SEALs
Noobow*
Operation C
Pipe Dream
Shisenshou: Match Mania*
True Lies

Games with asterisks are Japanese-exclusive. Shisenshou has no English text, Noobow and Cave Noire have translation patches available.

Noobow is one of those games I couldn't help but pick up just because the mascot character looks so neat. I found the game a bit tedious, but it was worth playing for the graphics and quirky story anyway.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Noobow is one of those games I couldn't help but pick up just because the mascot character looks so neat. I found the game a bit tedious, but it was worth playing for the graphics and quirky story anyway.

Yeah, the art style is quite striking, and the mascot character is drawn with a lot of personality (for want of a better way of putting it). It's a very lightweight game, but of the puzzle-platformers I've played on the Game Boy, it's definitely been one of the more pleasant.

I'll put my nod of approval there on Noobow too.  I had that one a year back and played it quite a bit, can't remember if I finished it or not.  Why?  As you said, tedious.  The game was fairly fun at first, but the pacing and repetitive slow motion of using things in the environment and repeatedly backtracking sections to get beyond the next barrier 10sec down the road got tiring.