IGNORED

What are your Top 10 essential Gameboy Games?

BriGuy82

I'm planning on getting an original gameboy. What are the games you would consider must haves? I didn't have many games growing up. From what I can recall I had Tetris, Ducktales, Kirbys Dreamland, HAL Wrestling and Heiankyo Alien. They were all great, I can honestly say I don't remember playing a bad gameboy game. Heiankyo Alien I got off the clearance rack at Thrift Drug, not knowing what the hell it was but I ending up playing it all the time.  So what other games would you guys recommend? I'm probably not gonna have much time to play so I'm trying to narrow it down to the cream of the crop here. 

11 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

Link's Awakening for sure, Pokemon first generation, Super Mario Land 2 Donkey Kong Land series, Metroid II, Final Fantasy Legend II (3rd one is OK but 2nd is the best), Final Fantasy Adventure.

So if you were gonna pick between Super Mario Land 1 or 2 it would the 2nd one? I think I'm gonna try to keep it to one game per series. 

Edited by BriGuy82

11 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

So if you were gonna pick between Super Mario Land 1 or 2 it would the 2nd one? I think I'm gonna try to keep it to one game per series. 

I had both and I'd definitively would pick the 2nd one, first one is a launch title and understandably feels a little rough, 2nd one is a much more polished game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

I had both and I'd definitively would pick the 2nd one, first one is a launch title and understandably feels a little rough, 2nd one is a much more polished game.

I agree with that.  IMHO, SML1 feels like SMB, while SML2 feels like SMW. There was a big jump from the first NES Mario to Super Mario World.  I guess the SML was rushed, but the difference is big. Don't get me wrong, they are both great, but the game is large.

Pokemon Red/Blue (both!), Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land 2, Tetris. The big Nintendo stuff of course. There's tons of other cool stuff like Mario's Picross, Metroid II, Castlevania Adventure (yes the first one!), Harvest Moon, Gargoyle's Quest, but it's more subject to taste at that point than a 10/10 must play thing.

2 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Anyone got an opinion on the links awakening switch vs gameboy versions? I bought the switch version as a Christmas present for my kids 😉, but maybe I'll play the gameboy version instead. 

Not sure on the remake, but I played the black and white version this year and switched over to the DX color version pretty fast, and I'm a snob who likes playing original versions when possible. It's not bad, but there are detailed environments and it's so much nicer in color.

Here's my top 10 (Alphabetical)

Duck Tales 2 (Better than 1)

Final Fantasy Adventure

Kirby's Dreamland

(The) Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Metroid II: Return of Samus

Pokemon Red/Blue (either of them)

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Tetris

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Honorable Mentions to:

Donkey Kong

Gargoyle's Quest

Kirby's Pinball Land

Tail Gator

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Not sure on the remake, but I played the black and white version this year and switched over to the DX color version pretty fast, and I'm a snob who likes playing original versions when possible. It's not bad, but there are detailed environments and it's so much nicer in color.

Hmmm, that adds another little wrinkle to the equation here. I think I'm gonna have to keep it colorless. I'm 99% sure I'm going to be playing on a backlit DMG with the bivert mod. 

16 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Hmmm, that adds another little wrinkle to the equation here. I think I'm gonna have to keep it colorless. I'm 99% sure I'm going to be playing on a backlit DMG with the bivert mod. 

Colorless version is fine, DX seems like the better of the 2 games but gives out more hints to the players essentially removing the challenge in a few puzzles, I cannot remember specific examples but some hints flat out tell the player exactly what to do, other than that the DX version is better.

9 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

Colorless version is fine, DX seems like the better of the 2 games but gives out more hints to the players essentially removing the challenge in a few puzzles, I cannot remember specific examples but some hints flat out tell the player exactly what to do, other than that the DX version is better.

Yeah, I think a good Zelda game should stump you at least once while playing it. That was maybe my only gripe with BOTW, the lack of being stumped.

I have to admit it's kind of hard knocking it down to 10 so for me the list would probably never be 100% consistent for a few at least. 

Super Mario Land 1(or 2), Legend of Zelda Links Awakening DX, Final Fantasy Adventure, Castlevania II, Gradius Interstellar Assault, Mega Man 2, Gargoyle's Quest, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Donkey Kong, and Tetris.

I have a fun idea that'll maybe inspire some real thought here as a sub-challenge.  I want people to pick 10 games that are *NOT* franchise titles born from consoles or arcades.  Basically no NES, SNES, Sega whatever, Arcade, etc ports or franchise titles if the franchise didn't start on the Gameboy.  Distant spinoffs like Gargoyle's Quest or Kid Dracula are fine, so are things like Kirby that had multiple titles before the NES release too.  Tetris is off limits as well. 🙂

Final Fantasy Adventure, Gargoyle's Quest, Kid Dracula, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Mario's Picross, Revenge of the Gator, Trip World, Pokemon Yellow, Trax, and Donkey Kong 94 (which started the whole Mario&DK/minis franchise.)

• Like 1

Spider-Man.

I like Super Mario Land 1 a lot. I admittedly haven’t played SML2, the SMW-ness puts me off. I’m just not big on SMW.

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

games that are *NOT* franchise titles born from consoles or arcades. 

Motocross Maniacs!

5 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Looney Tunes

That reminds me, Bugs Bunny’s Crazy Castle. The NES version is stupid easy and quickly gets boring. I think the Game Boy game is better, but I haven’t tried it in a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-type said:

Donkey Kong is pretty cool. It has the 4 arcade levels and then 90+ more levels of mario vs donkey kong type gameplay. You control more like super mario than Donkey Kong mario, and you can pick things up a la Super Mario 2

Yup that's what makes DK so special is that you get faked out thinking it's a remaster of the old, then it's like DK goes screw you man, take this!  And suddenly you have 90 more stages of nastier stuff to handle but it never feels cheap, forced, or at the mercy of some lousy AI.  It was the birthplace of the Mario vs DK games, and I never liked any of those because of that added level of baggage while DK is just fantastic.  It's up to you to fail or not, no waffling AI middleman to doom you.