IGNORED

What are your Top 10 essential Gameboy Games?

BriGuy82

I have recently played both Kid Icarus games for NES and GB and I too much prefer the GB version over the NES original. It is just smoother, fairer and a bit easier (e.g. eggplant wizards weren't always in such tough spots, there are more healing items and fountains etc.). It also removes most of the grinding for points and hearts, so that you can get quicker to the actual fun parts of the game. The biggest things missing though are the colors, of course, the multiple endings (no kiss from Palutena on the GB game!) and the final boss Medusa of the NES version which looked really cool.

Apart from Kid icarus I could only repeat the many games that have already been mentioned. Maybe I would second Mole Mania since it's an original game offering a lot of fun content and quirky humor. It was designed by Shigeru Miyamoto after all.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:33 AM, ifightdragons said:

I scrolled through to see if Mega Man IV and Mega Man V had been mentioned.

Not only two of the best Mega Man games ever, but certainly two of the best GB games.

Unlike the previous GB Mega Man games, they're not just lazy rehashes of their respective NES brothers.

Check 'em out.

Mega Man V is shown in my picture, but I guess no one noticed.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I saw a truly amazing DMG screen mod. It's plug and play. It's an IPS screen that comes with an entire front board. I'm gna leave a link to the Reddit post and to the website that sells it. Check them both out!

https://handheldlegend.com/products/game-boy-backlight-dmg-ips

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Ok, so I saw a truly amazing DMG screen mod. It's plug and play. It's an IPS screen that comes with an entire front board. I'm gna leave a link to the Reddit post and to the website that sells it. Check them both out!

Yeah so, I just installed one of those a couple days ago and it has to be seen to be believed.  The clarity is stunning, and the added color palettes kind of SGB style are a nice touch. The minor plastic modding isn't a problem in the least bit and getting it set in place is not a problem either.  Slightly more complicated than the GBC kit he offers there but not by a lot other than the fact you'll need to lift and re-solder your speaker down onto that new front board.

• Thanks 1

1. Ninja Gaiden
  2. Heiankyo Alien
  3. Pokemon first gen (red/blue/YELLOW 😂)
  4. Final Fantasy Adventure
  5. For the Frog the Bell Tolls
  6. Metroid II
  7. Kid Dracula
  8. Noobow
  9. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, or Ganbare Goemon Sarawareta Ebisumaru
  10. Nemesis II

Honorable Mention but rare - Tripworld

Obviously some don't hold up well, but those always stuck out to me as a good time growing up. 

Edited by littlesamson

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've been curious about Knight Quest.  Somehow all these years I never heard about it, or forgot about it, up until months ago.  It looks like it either is a lot of fun, or just presents well on youtube.

I haven't played it in years but I remember enjoying it - I also played both swords of hope about the same time and liked them all pretty much equally well.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2020 at 6:47 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I ended up getting one of these (v2). It is one of the most amazing gaming accomplishments I have ever seen. Its like a dream come true. I don't think I could've picked a better time to get back into playing gameboy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

I ended up getting one of these (v2). It is one of the most amazing gaming accomplishments I have ever seen. Its like a dream come true. I don't think I could've picked a better time to get back into playing gameboy.

Awesome news! How was the install? I've been stalling on pulling the trigger on one.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Awesome news! How was the install? I've been stalling on pulling the trigger on one.

I ended up finding one preinstalled in a near mint dmg for $100 and I couldn't pass it up. That was about a month or two ago. I've seen some similar ones going for close to $300 since then. 

The install is a cinch.  I got one of them right after handheld legend released it on their site a few months back.  There's not much to it.  You remove 4 plastic posts inside that are superficial to the DMG, and then a teeny sliver of plastic where the current contrast wheel sits.  You remove some screws, then unseat the ribbon cable from the lower PCB of the GB that the battery connectors attach to, the other board it attaches to also has the LCD attached onto it.

The kit is the pretty LCD and its new driver board and that you basically re-seat into the existing cable slot.  The hardest part really would be the cutting, and then centering the LCD panel up against the top/center of the inside of the shell then using the included super duty tape to secure it in place (or bracket if you buy/print one as they're now out there since I got mine.)  After that it's just a simple matter of closing it back up and you're done.